PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Goin into storage

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 May 2016, 06:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Goin into storage

12 months then my daughter gets her in the spring. .
new semi-synth oil-- full tank of 94 octane and tires up to 50psi
Anyone think I should run it once in a while ? or just trickle charge the battery and call it a year ?.
Thing is I'll likely have to move it once in a while anyway to access that portion of the garage.
All the best from the North and checkin back from time to time.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 05 May 2016, 07:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Goin into storage

Gas doesn't last a year these days. I'd go for some Stabil or the like.
Old 06 May 2016, 05:03 am
Senior Cruiser

Yes thanks, I meant to say I'll be stabilizing .
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 06 May 2016, 08:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Its better not to have fuel in the tank. Most of the fuel additives to prolong the fuels in a tank do not work well with the gas that is sold in the US these days.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 06 May 2016, 09:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Gas in my project is 4 years old. Still fires right up. Dose smell funky. Good for the belt to run it some.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 May 2016, 09:11 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Its better not to have fuel in the tank. Most of the fuel additives to prolong the fuels in a tank do not work well with the gas that is sold in the US these days.
Yeah. The old rule used to be to fill cars up so that there was no room in the tank for condensation. Not any more. It is especially bad for bikes, since people generally don't ride them over the winter. Have to drain the tank and the float bowls and blow out the lines. Ugh.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 06 May 2016, 09:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Everything I've read says it's better to drive it once in a while (monthly?).
Get it up to operating temperature is the recommendation, and driving it is better than just running the engine.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 May 2016, 09:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Yeah. The old rule used to be to fill cars up so that there was no room in the tank for condensation. Not any more. It is especially bad for bikes, since people generally don't ride them over the winter. Have to drain the tank and the float bowls and blow out the lines. Ugh.
Ya and dont forget the batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Gas in my project is 4 years old. Still fires right up. Dose smell funky. Good for the belt to run it some.
ok... I will have you set up for a fuel injection system cleaning at your earliest convenience.

Oh and I keep spare PT fuel pumps on hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Everything I've read says it's better to drive it once in a while (monthly?).
Get it up to operating temperature is the recommendation, and driving it is better than just running the engine.
^^ This is the best unless you are going to do a careful and thought out storage plan for the vehicle for long term storage.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 06 May 2016, 10:01 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Ya and dont forget the batteries
Trickle charger FTW!

Quote:
^^ This is the best unless you are going to do a careful and thought out storage plan for the vehicle for long term storage.
I agree. The trouble with driving them monthly is that means that you have to keep them registered and insured. I used to have the 'cuda from Easter to Thanksgiving and a 4x4 Ramcharger from Thanksgiving to Easter. I would just go to DMV and swap plates and insurance. Otherwise, you are paying double and in NY that is a decent chunk of change. Eventually, I got classic insurance and historic plates and kept them year round, but before that, the savings was fairly significant.
Old 06 May 2016, 08:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Nah, no worries this is good pure fine Canadian gasoline truly free of the insidious chunks of particulates more common down there in Trumpville.