PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Top speed you've hit with you PT?

Like Tree18Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 May 2016, 08:20 am
Young Cruiser

Default Top speed you've hit with you PT?

Regardless if you were curious,or wanting some fun,or was in a rush to get somewhere,what was the top speed you've got up to with your Cruiser?

Old 08 May 2016, 09:13 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Top speed you've hit with you PT?

I've had mine up to about 100mph once or twice...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 08 May 2016, 09:50 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I'll only admit to Florida interstate speed limits of 75MPH.

This is not to be construed as an admission, but in the quazi-reality world when no one's lookin' over my shoulder, SOOO BIG was rollin' south down that steep mountain run on I-77 in N.C., south of Va. 58, at around 120MPH. I realize that gravity helped a lot, but so did SOOO BIG!

That was Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 08 May 2016, 10:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
I've had mine up to about 100mph once or twice...

The speed limiters is PCM calibrated for 128mph. Most PT Cruiser can not make this MPH unless the environmental and running gear conditions are near perfect. It is somewhat easy for a well tuned stock GT PT Cruiser to at least reach that on a 2 mile run.

Raising the PCM limiters a PT Cruiser with a Turbo Charged engine and a STAGE 1 is able to produce enough horse power to get to 135mph. Any claims beyond a very modified engine making a real 350whp or more are fictitious or at least enough to cause a lifted eye brows of suspicion within a 2 mile test run.

IMHO, these kind of threads only create debates and arguments among arm chair racers.....but are still entertaining and fun to read the responses. Lets visit a track and see what happens in a controlled conditions?
ptprice, SPLNeon and uncomn like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 08 May 2016 at 10:57 am.
Old 08 May 2016, 11:03 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I've been to 108.44mph once in the quarter mile. Conditions were perfect and the closest I've been since is 107.xx mph
Fk5 and ptprice like this.

Competition's paying the price.

03 PT GT. DSI canned tune, Weight redux, MH Racemaster Slicks/Rota Slipstream 15" 11.89at 115mph 1/4 mile
96 SOHC Neon Turbo
08 CSRT4. Realtune MS1K v1 pcm stg0 NSRT4 Injectors.
Old 08 May 2016, 11:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

A police officer in Virginia told me I had hit 80 mph. He even gave me a nice little certificate, too.

2006 Base
Magnesium Pearlcoat
102k miles
Turning into Theseus' ship
Old 08 May 2016, 11:18 am
Fanatic Cruiser

In the area of 105 in the middle of the night on I10E. Still had pedal left but left that for another time, just wondered if these computer cars would shut down upwards of 90, it didn't.
I would love to take to a track and see what it has but that's as crazy as the 105. The Dreamer has some 115K miles and I want it to survive as long as I do.

That is the second fastest I have ever driven. I opened up my 23 T bucket roadster on my 40th birthday ( a long time ago) and hit 135 on the 160 speedometer. Speedo had been checked at a shop as accurate to 100 but who knows after that. This with a 57 Chevy 283 punched out to 292, 11.5:1 Pistons, solid lifter performance cam, single 4bbl, Modified Powerglide, and 4.11:1 gear out back.
It was fun but the car was getting squirrelly and my bungee cord retained bed cover was beating me in the back like a hammer. Glad it was early in the morning and the freeway was clear of cars and cops. 60 over the speed limit puts you in reckless endangerment territory.
Old 08 May 2016, 12:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

One day coming home from work, I bunch of fast-moving cars passed me in my GT so I decided to travel with them. We cruised along a few mile together until I looked down and realized I was running almost 100 mph. This was before I replaced the tires and got to thinking about how they were mismatched and well worn. So I quickly slowed back down to a respectable 75 mph.

PS: The fastest I've ever gone in any car on the freeway is 143 mph. While my 1981 Grand Prix (w/403 Olds engine) only had an 85 mph speedometer, that's how fast the guy in a highly modded Mustang II (w/351 Windsor) said I was going when I passed him. Not fast by some standards, but seriously fast for me. Of all my past cars, I miss that one the most.

Old 08 May 2016, 12:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

^^^

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 08 May 2016, 03:07 pm
Young Cruiser

Your speeds is not what I expected,I though about more.

Mine holds 210kmh easily on the highway,converted thats 131mph,if I keep it floored more it starts scraping the redline,feels like if there was a sixth gear it could go well over.

Dat dere Merc Diesel.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Closed Thread