PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Multifunction connector

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 May 2016, 02:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Multifunction connector

I read a lot of post about the multifunction switch.

My 2001, I noticed an issue with the lights. I'm not sure if the problems started before or after I installed hid headlights. Car was broken when I got it.

Went to change multifunction, saw the connector was melted. Went to a junk yard to get one. Soldered it in. Fog lights always on. Blinkers not working. High and low beams on at the same time.

Connector still getting real hot. I think the black wire with a yellow stripe is the one getting hot.

I also put a relay kit on it for the hid lights.

Any thoughts? Might be above me. I wonder how much someone would charge me to fix this issue?
Old 09 May 2016, 04:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Multifunction connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTloser32805 View Post
I read a lot of post about the multifunction switch.

My 2001, I noticed an issue with the lights. I'm not sure if the problems started before or after I installed hid headlights. Car was broken when I got it.

Went to change multifunction, saw the connector was melted. Went to a junk yard to get one. Soldered it in. Fog lights always on. Blinkers not working. High and low beams on at the same time.

Connector still getting real hot. I think the black wire with a yellow stripe is the one getting hot.

I also put a relay kit on it for the hid lights.

Any thoughts? Might be above me. I wonder how much someone would charge me to fix this issue?
More watts you throw at the power supply the heavier the wiring must be or it creates heat and melted wires.

Where did you run the wires from to feed the relay load side?
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 10 May 2016, 12:55 am
Cool Cruiser

It was a relay kit. Connected to positive battery terminal. Then to the original left low beam connector, then to the hid connector and to a ground.

On the passenger side hid connector and a ground.

I found out the wire getting hot is the park lamp feed. Further more I saw some info on the imp that corrodes and can be re soldered. I shall check that out.

I'm bad with electric stuff.
Old 10 May 2016, 01:14 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
It was a relay kit. Connected to positive battery terminal. Then to the original left low beam connector, then to the hid connector and to a ground.

On the passenger side hid connector and a ground.

I found out the wire getting hot is the park lamp feed. Further more I saw some info on the imp that corrodes and can be re soldered. I shall check that out.

I'm bad with electric stuff.
You have found that loose or corroded (not necessarily rusty) oxidized connections will also cause heat as some of us have found i the cooling fan harness connector.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 10 May 2016, 07:53 am
Dedicated Cruiser

PTloser32805. If there are no other shorts in your wiring, look to the MFS

I'm taking apart an MFS for repair that doesn't activate the low beams and the fog lights stay on all the time. Fun!

I just repaired and reinstalled an MFS on SOOO BIG that had the fog lights on constantly. I had this spare for repair thanks to a kind donation of a busted but reparable MFS from Bubba_1952.

With both un-repaired switches I experienced high amperage burn out of the fog lights and fuses. This could also explain your plug burn out with the addition of your HID lights.

The first successfully repaired and re-installed MFS had a worn cam edge on the plastic device (thingie) that transfers the motion of the light controls stalk to the innards of the MFS through spring loaded copper contacts that when properly configured rise and lower to make and break various light function contacts.

Having an additional draw on that function (the HID lights) would elevate the amperage on a specific circuit. If the MFS is already dysfunctioning or primed for dysfunction because of a worn thingie, it's an accident waiting to happen.

If it appears to you that the MFS is your culprit, a referral to the thread, "how I fixed my MFS, the confessions of an MFS junkie" will talk you through a simple repair and it's a lot cheaper than buying a new one.

Happy Ptin', ptprice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The final solution MFS 001.jpg (83.8 KB, 7 views)
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 10 May 2016 at 07:56 am. Reason: photo too big
Old 10 May 2016, 12:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Price, thanks for your response.

The mfs is new, autozone brand. I even went and got another new one to be sure it was not the problem.

I mean, it still could be, but two bad ones in a row would be crazy.
Old 10 May 2016, 01:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Price, thanks for your response.

The mfs is new, autozone brand. I even went and got another new one to be sure it was not the problem.

I mean, it still could be, but two bad ones in a row would be crazy.
Not if they're from Autozone. I don't recommend buying any electrical parts from them.
VsandFords likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 10 May 2016, 02:10 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

PTloser32805.

In my quest to resolve the same anomaly on SOOO BIG I turned to the Forum for an answer. Crewzin, sanatanadharma and many others helped me through it with advise, patient explaination, schematics and blow apart reference drawings.

I'll attach my second generation copies of their information. I hope they're big enough and clear enough to read. If I convert them to photo attachments instead of jpeg they're too big.

One is of two light schematics, the other is the under the hood PDC location and fuse information. I've also traced the primary ground wire.

Your brand new MFS eliminates that as a problem, even from AutoZone, as the replacement MFSs usually have a life time warranty on them and they've improved the plastic on the cam surfaced to prevent premature wear. Do be sure though, that your new MFS has a fog light function on it. Some don't.

For just the fog lights, there's a relevant fuse in the PDC #21 and one in the under dash fuse box #8.

As I was advised, check the ground to the stud on the left fender which holds several ground cables and one large one to the battery. Check for burned wires to he PDC. Check for burnt connections behind the under dash fuse box.

This information lead me to a bad MFS. but I also discovered the yahoos who'd replaced my timing belt had swapped (swiped) fuses # 21 and 16 in the PDC to replace fuses they'd burned out in the ignition circuit during testing and repair! So check 'em all.

"Long live yahoos, they make the rest of us look smarter!" (that's just an illusion though!)

Happy Ptin', ptprice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg under hood stuff.jpg (85.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Light wiring.jpg (85.1 KB, 7 views)
VsandFords likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 10 May 2016 at 02:14 pm. Reason: addition
Old 12 May 2016, 09:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

I spent side time on it. Cleaning grounds, looking it over. Still heats up, plus high and low beams on the same time, sometimes I think.

I went to three auto electric shops today. The one I liked best will work on the car soon.

I have a friend that's an electrical engineer, says he would help. But you know how that goes. There were three guys just working hard on this one guys car while I was there. Plus two other mechanic shops recommended this place.

Pops auto electric. Orlando fl.

Hope it's not too expensive. Will take money from my tire budget.
Old 13 May 2016, 08:43 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I hate to admit it, but that still sounds like a bad MFS if everything else has checked out. See if they'll swap it out again or refund and try another source. Have you completely disconnected the HID lights and then tested.

Relevant to this, as an example, when I set up the rear view camera on SOOO BIG I tried for the longest time to integrate the back up camera to be constantly on at my choosing. ( I thought it'd be helpful in interstate driving) It all checked out on paper, but every time I connected it to common power in this respect, I blew the fuse! Apparently the ground of the camera wasn't compatible with the ground under the dash for the monitor or something unbeknownst in the kit wiring was crossing over. Using it as it was originally intended, just activated when in reverse, it functions perfectly. I see a parallel with that discovery and your anomaly and have since chalked up the " camera constantly on project as so much bunk". I didn't realize if I had got it workin', the back up lights would be on constantly. An accident waitin' to happen! The moral of this revelation might be, if it ain't meant to be improved, don't try to improve it!

It's not advise, just more food for thought.

Happy Ptin', ptprice

Last edited by ptprice; 13 May 2016 at 08:50 am. Reason: addition