PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front Hub & Bearing Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 May 2016, 12:13 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile Front Hub & Bearing Issue

Hey guys,

I didn't realise it has been forever since I was last here, not sure when my last post was, but it was long enough ago that I can't even remember when it was! I hope everyone is doing OK

So, guess what, the ol' 2004 cruiser (Scrappydoo) is still going, despite it's many troubles...one of which is an elusive, but persistent oil leak that I need to track down, but that's for another time.

This time round I have just replaced the lower control arms including the lower ball joint, track(tie) rod ends, lower right engine mount, front hubs and bearings, anti-roll bar (sway bar) links, brake discs(rotors) and drums, shoes and pads.

My first issue:

I sourced reasonable quality parts from Rockauto, as I usually do. The drums arrived along with everything else. They were the wrong size. I couldn't believe my eyes when they wouldn't go over the shoes. As it turns out, there are two internal diameter drum sizes in 2004 WTF!! The ones I got are, according to the Bendix spec, 8.576" in diameter. The ones on the vehicle are closer to 9" in diameter. No mention of there being two sizes on the Rockauto site of course, otherwise I would have measured the old ones before ordering them. I'm in Canuck land and sending them back was going to cost me more money in shipping than replacement drums do, so I ordered replacements, this time 9" ones and they shall be here soon.

Everything else was going well until the last gasp tonight. I pressed (with my trusty 12 ton press) out the old front hubs and bearings, cleaned everything up and pressed in the new ones. rebuilt everything and discovered that the new rotors would not center in the calipers, in fact they foul the outside of the caliper suggesting that the hub is sitting proud. Now I double checked that both the bearings and the hubs were well home before I replaced the steering knuckles, so I know for sure that they are fully seated. Stupidly it seems, I didn't actually measure the bearings or hubs before fitting them, but I did eyeball them next to the originals and, at a quick glance, they looked identical size wise, but something is definitely not right here.

I'll be pulling it all apart again tomorrow, so I guess I'll find out the hard way, but in case anyone knows, are there also 2 different sizes of front hubs and bearings?
Old 10 May 2016, 11:09 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Front Hub & Bearing Issue

I guess I'll answer my own question. I confirmed this morning that the front hub bearings are in fact the same size as the original ones. However, the new hubs have approximately 5mm deeper shoulder on them, increasing the offset by the same. So I can confirm that there does appear to be two different sized hubs on the 2004. Of course, to confirm this, I just destroyed the new bearings pressing out the hubs, what a pita
Old 10 May 2016, 12:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I can't say I've heard of this on the 03 and up PT. I did know 01 had a different bearing. Which I would assume meant some other parts. Think you got some 01 hubs? not sure on drums.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 May 2016, 01:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

I know, weird huh?

My first thought was, damn, Rockauto sent me the wrong parts and like a dummy I just fitted them. I thought maybe for a 2005 or something, but having checked their site, they list the same part for both years. It's a 39mm bearing, so it's definitely not the skinny ones for the 2001 model. It's the difference in the shoulder depth on the hub that has me confused, like yourself, I thought 2002-2010 they were all the same part. The fact that Rockauto only list one front kit for the 2004/5 (I haven't checked any other years), would seem to concur with that notion.

I did have one thought today, as I destroyed the new bearings pulling the hubs back out, perhaps these bearings are sided. I don't have ABS, so there isn't a magnetic side to them, but I was wondering if they were perhaps shaped on one side to allow the shoulder on the hub to seat further into the bearing. I mean there isn't much in it, maybe 5mm or so. Thoughts?

As they only list one kit, I have just ordered new bearings this time, rather than the kit and I'll see where I go from there.

The drums, I dunno why I never really thought about it when I ordered them, just figured that they were all the same size from 2002 onward, but when they didn't fit I checked Rockauto's site again and actually measured my old drums. They definitely list 2 different sizes for the 2004. I had to look twice, was like wtf are you kidding me?! The first drums I ordered were the Bendix PDR0489, listed as 8.576" dia, the replacements I ordered are the Bendix PDR0794 listed as 9" dia.

Lesson learned though, from here on I'll be measuring everything twice before I order parts and comparing them to the originals before fitting them, having to do the job twice is a real pita