Help - defeated by the heater knobs.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 2 Post By SvenCruiser
  • 3 Post By chuzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 May 2016, 10:26 am
Young Cruiser

Default Help - defeated by the heater knobs.

I have done all sorts of things to this car since I owned it,I have replaced suspention,I have removed tires from rims and back,I have replaced my oil,my filters and some hosing all by myself,I have replaced an entire cylinder head with gaskets and everything and today I tried to take the heater knobs off the dash to repaint them and I couldn't do it,the things are stuck in there,do they need to be in some specific position to come out,I spinned them in all positions and they just don't come off,my fingers are in pain and I can pull no more.

A tutorial would be great.

Old 14 May 2016, 10:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help - defeated by the heater knobs.

If like the US model, they just pull off. However, the first time they are pulled off, they are fairly tough.

To get off the stuck ones, I have to get the thumb and index finger of both hands on them and then pull really hard. I've gotten kind of good and this because I often go to salvage yards and I like to check behind the stereos for the very rare and elusive factor amp and hands free setup.

What's funny is that once off, they are then easy to put back on and pull off again.
ptprice and VsandFords like this.
Old 14 May 2016, 11:06 am
Young Cruiser

I went to the extreme and got a set of pliers,put a hankie over each knob and pulled them out with force.Nothing broke.

I can't believe how strong they were in there.You could unscrew a tight rusted lug nut with the force I had to use.
ptprice and VsandFords like this.

Last edited by SvenCruiser; 14 May 2016 at 11:10 am.
Old 14 May 2016, 11:23 am
Dedicated Cruiser

A pair of standard pliers with a few wraps of friction tape around the grip groves protects the knob surface as you bear down on it and gives you enough purchase to remove the most recalcitrant knob.

Happy Ptin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 14 May 2016, 11:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

Remove the window switch from the dash first, then remove the screw from the surround that's behind the window switches, then loosen the clips that lock the surround to the dash and then pulling gently, but firmly can make the knobs slide right off. You might try that next time. Pliers can scratch things and leave grooves if you're not careful.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.