Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By chuzz
  • 2 Post By rsrocket1
  • 1 Post By Fk5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 May 2016, 10:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Running a bit warmer than usual

So I noticed on my drive Sunday morning that the temp. gauge seemed to be a little higher than normal (3/4 in the operating range), kept my eye on it and it went back down to the middle mark where it usually hovers. Drove it again later in the day and it seemed to fluctuate a little more than normal. Checked coolant level, and it seemed to be in line. Yesterday the wife took the PT, as well it was finally warm here (70F). On her way home, she noticed it was running quite warm with the AC on, and sitting at a light, also noted the smell of coolant. When she got home it was back down to normal, but it had puked some coolant. Top hose was warm. I poked around looking for the source of the coolant, but the only thing that looked out of place to me was the recovery tank hose coming from the cap / thermostat housing, as it was barely hanging on. Also noted coolant level still at "full". I trimmed a little off of the hose, ran it to pick up my kids, and it wouldn't budge past half, even on the highway. I checked this morning, and it looks like it did suck coolant from the recovery. I drove to work, and it seems to be functioning normally.
I have 2 questions. When pulling the cap and checking, should there be coolant? All I see is the thermostat. Also, is it entirely possible that due to the recovery tank hose not making a tight connection, that would cause it to run warm and puke coolant?
Thanks for reading!

2002 Limited, Auto, 142k miles
Old 19 May 2016, 10:45 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Running a bit warmer than usual

That hose to the overflow tank has been known to cause problems. As far as coolant goes, when I pull my cap, I immediately see coolant. Yours is low. I'd recommend doing a pressure test on the cap and make sure that frigging hose to the overflow tank doesn't have any other cracks or holes in it. I'm thinking that you got it fixed by cutting the hose and reattaching it, but I'm not a mechanic. I'd top off the antifreeze and keep an eye on it for a few days. If it still appears that there's not enough under the cap, do a pressure system test on it.
Ghosttowncs likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 19 May 2016, 10:46 am
Fanatic Cruiser

If the filler neck is empty down to the thermostat it also means the hose to the radiator is empty along with the top of the radiator. That's a lot of air in the system. The water pump will have to push enough coolant up through the thermostat and into the top radiator hose in order for it to go through the radiator to cool off.

The temperature gauges is very non-linear.
The temp "gauge" on the PT covers about 20 degrees (about 190-210 on mine) within the width of the center mark. When it's at the 3/4 mark, you are about 250F
This is 185F:

This is 250F

The numerical readings I have are from an OBD2 scanner which reads the same output as the temperature gauge, but translates it to a numerical value rather than moving the gauge needle.

You ought to have at least enough fluid to make sure the hose to the radiator is filled. Having it filled to the top doesn't hurt. It would be a good idea to check it first thing before driving for the next few days and fill it up if it's low.
Fk5 and Ghosttowncs like this.
Old 19 May 2016, 10:46 am
Senior Cruiser

What makes you say that the coolant level was "in line"? If you pull the cap, the coolant level should be right up to the top. That is the upper tank. The gauge should NEVER be at 3/4s. The range at dead center is 195-216 (give or take) degrees. Anything above halfway is a sign of trouble.

Fill it up with coolant. Be sure to use the right kind - don't mix types. Don't forget to bleed it. If it is dry down to the thermostat, even when you fill it there will be air in the system. It is possible (if you were very lucky) that your return hose was torn and when the car heated up it puked some coolant, then because of the damaged hose it could not suck it back into the rad from the recovery until you fixed the hose. If that is the case, maybe that would be why you were low on coolant and running hot. I'd also check the fans since the problem seems to relate to the A/C running.

Keep an eye on it.
Ghosttowncs likes this.

Last edited by Fk5; 19 May 2016 at 10:49 am.
Old 19 May 2016, 11:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies! Being my 1st PT, I was not sure if I should be seeing the thermostat when pulling the cap, it didn't seem right to me. I will definitely add some more coolant to the system, and then seeing what she does. As far as "full" I was judging that by the marks on the recovery tank. My instinct was to add coolant to the system, but thought I should ask around just in case.
Fans are definitely working, I can hear it when I pull it into the garage.
Thanks again. I will keep you updated.

Old 19 May 2016, 01:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Fill it up and bleed it. Air in the system will cause intermittent problems and make things difficult to diagnose.

If the hose between the recovery and the thermostat housing is bad, the recovery will stay full and coolant won't get sucked back into the radiator. When the coolant expands it will dump out the overflow hose and never get replaced. Eventually, if you lose enough, you can/will overheat.
Old 20 May 2016, 12:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So I topped both the engine and the recovery tank off yesterday with coolant. We have run it up to temp a couple of times, with no issues yet. We'll see how it does today. The wife likes to use A/C, while I'm more of a roll the window down and open the sunroof type , so it will definitely get put through it's paces today.
So now my next issue. Trying to do everything by the book, I added Zerex G-05 coolant (HOAT, since that's what the manual calls for), not even thinking about the fact that it currently has standard green coolant in it. Are these 2 types compatible? I've done my internet sleuthing and have come across people claiming it's both okay and a bad idea. Having been a GM owner for so long and hearing horror stories about mixing Dex-Cool with anything else, I was immediately concerned (just not enough to flush it, haha).
Thanks!

Old 20 May 2016, 12:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosttowncs View Post
So I topped both the engine and the recovery tank off yesterday with coolant. We have run it up to temp a couple of times, with no issues yet. We'll see how it does today. The wife likes to use A/C, while I'm more of a roll the window down and open the sunroof type , so it will definitely get put through it's paces today.
So now my next issue. Trying to do everything by the book, I added Zerex G-05 coolant (HOAT, since that's what the manual calls for), not even thinking about the fact that it currently has standard green coolant in it. Are these 2 types compatible? I've done my internet sleuthing and have come across people claiming it's both okay and a bad idea. Having been a GM owner for so long and hearing horror stories about mixing Dex-Cool with anything else, I was immediately concerned (just not enough to flush it, haha).
Thanks!
I have heard plenty of horror stories about mixing. I have never done it, but then again, I wouldn't do it.