PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Will the PT Cruiser be a +100k classic someday?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 2 Post By Ghosttowncs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 May 2016, 04:49 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Will the PT Cruiser be a +100k classic someday?

I've been thinking about it.This car has had its great success,It won car of the year and it was the most popular and loved car of its time,even despite that after 15 years today it has some bad reputes,there were 1300000 made,and when you put that into comparison with some real mass produced cars its not really a lot,and the limited/special editions are even less,and a good number of them are already scrapped/destroyed.

What if some good years from now these cars are looked at the same way we look at classics from the 30s and the 40s,and they are worth incredible prices and showrooms kill for them?

If not the regular production,the special editions definitely have a chance.

Old 19 May 2016, 05:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Will the PT Cruiser be a +100k classic someday?

I don't think the PT will bring those kinds of dollars in the next 50 years even adjusted for inflation.

A good analog would be the original Volkswagen Beetle here in the US. The Beetle started showing up in the US during the 1950's. It was part of a deal to help West Germany rebuild after the war. And by the 1960's, these inexpensive little cars were everywhere kind of like PT Cruisers were ten years ago. And the Beetle was popular right up into the 1970's and came in many different editions with many different features. And a huge aftermarket industry developed to service enthusiasts that customized them. Doesn't all this sound familiar?

But today, most nicely restored Beetles can be had for under $30K. Most for $10K or less. And un-restored drivable examples for under $2K. Even the few super rare exceptions don't seem to bring too much over $50K.

Based on this, I would expect that in 2055, I should be able to buy a 2005 convertible Dream Cruiser somewhere between $20K and $30K before adjustment for inflation. Of course, interesting and new things always happen in history over long spans of time. Petroleum-based combustion engine cars might be banned in 50 years or the fuel may not be available. In that case, the market for all but the very highly collectable PT's would like go to nothing and the cars would be scrapped. And who knows the value in a case like that where the car is only good for a museum piece?
ptprice likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 19 May 2016 at 05:32 pm.
Old 19 May 2016, 07:32 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Sven, Great question.

When I see some of the types of cars I've restored rollin' across the Barrett and Jackson block for the amazing prices they pull, I literally kick myself for not holdin' on to them.

I never figgered they'd be worth so much more than what I thought was a great price when I sold 'em.

I'm hopin' SOOO BIG'll be passed on down the generations in my family. Who knows?

Now I call that, Happy Ptin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 20 May 2016, 06:59 am
Veteran Cruiser

Simply put. I don't think so.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 20 May 2016, 08:08 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post

A good analog would be the original Volkswagen Beetle here in the US. The Beetle started showing up in the US during the 1950's. It was part of a deal to help West Germany rebuild after the war. And by the 1960's, these inexpensive little cars were everywhere kind of like PT Cruisers were ten years ago. And the Beetle was popular right up into the 1970's and came in many different editions with many different features. And a huge aftermarket industry developed to service enthusiasts that customized them. Doesn't all this sound familiar?

But today, most nicely restored Beetles can be had for under $30K. Most for $10K or less. And un-restored drivable examples for under $2K. Even the few super rare exceptions don't seem to bring too much over $50K.
Not necessarily. The earlier the Beetle, the higher the price. Especially the pre-1967 Beetles, because most enthusiasts consider the 1968-up air cooled cars the end of an era. I've seen 21 and 23 window deluxe Buses go between 50-100K fully restored, numbers matching. And forget about the Hebmuller convertibles. There were less than 1000 made and who knows how many survived (the factory burned down).

Google Hebmuller VW if you don't know what I mean.
Old 20 May 2016, 08:18 am
Senior Cruiser

Eh. Maybe, but it is going to be a looooooooong wait.

Mine is a fairly rare and well optioned model and there are probably 5 regular posters on here with cars that are indistinguishable in pictures. Contrast that with my 440 'cuda. From the day my dad bought it, I haven't seen another like it and that car probably isn't worth $100k without doing a $95k resto.

OTOH, isn't there a guy already asking over $100k for that hacked up 40's woody version? You never know.
Old 23 May 2016, 10:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

I was thinking Beetle as well! I agree, with the exception of the super rare, the regular versions of the PT will probably always be attainable. Being the owner of a 65' Beetle as well I guess I am a little biased toward both of these vehicles and their uniqueness.
All I know for sure though is, there is no price that can be placed on the grin you have when driving the vehicle you enjoy .

2002 Limited, Auto, 142k miles

Last edited by Ghosttowncs; 23 May 2016 at 12:38 pm.