PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Roommate 2pt stalled and won't start

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 May 2016, 07:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Roommate 2pt stalled and won't start

Hello everybody my name is David and I'm new here. I personally don't own a PT I'm a Jeep fan myself. Well let me tell you the reason I'm here I've been looking for about a week and a half trying to find information as best I can. My roommate left to go to work and the engine stalled on her PT Cruiser touring. Now it won't restart . The engine is cranking kind of slow she also stated that it was running rough for a couple days beforehand. Well she had it towed back to the house and I started tinkering and this is what I have I have fire at the spark plugs replace those they looked original by the wear. It has fuel pressure 55 to 60 PSI I can hear the injectors clicking when I turn the motor over. I have no engine trouble codes there are four transmission codes that come up don't know if they are related in any way . The timing belt looks good although when I try to line up all for timing marks on the cam shafts cannot get them lined up with a straight edge, does this mean that the timing has jumped a tooth or do you think the camshaft might have broke . I have not checked the compression yet because I don't have the tool I think I will pick one up this evening and check that if it ever stops raining I hope somebody can help me out with this information any help would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance
Old 23 May 2016, 08:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Roommate 2pt stalled and won't start

Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest first finding out why the engine is turning over slow. Have you fully charged up the battery with a battery charger? The PT Cruisers are sensitive to a drop in voltage. Also check the battery cable contacts..

How did you determine you have a strong spark? Did the spark plugs look wet or dry when you took them out?

If you do a engine compression check take all the spark plugs out and see if engine starts to crank normally.

How many miles on the PT Cruiser?

Have you checked to make sure there is no coolant in the oil?

What are all the transmission codes?

Have you tried putting some starter fluid in the throttle body to see if it starts to run?

How many teeth do you calculate the timing belt is off? If the timing belt was off you should get some engine trouble codes. Do you have an OBDII Scan Tool that you can reset the codes and see what the new codes are that comes up?
chuzz likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 23 May 2016 at 09:28 am.
Old 23 May 2016, 01:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I agree with Steve. BUT a couple of things you can check right quick and won't cost you anything. First, clean and inspect both battery clamps and terminals and make sure the battery has water in it. If that's all okay, check the ground cable attachments on the driver side fender. Sometimes these get corroded and a good cleaning and reattachment of them can help resolve starting issues. The timing is not as easy to check on these cars as you may think. Ideally, to do a good check on the belt, you need to actually remove that top cover. The pissie little inspection hole sucks, in my opinion. It could well be a timing issue, but as Steve stated, it should be throwing an engine code or two if so. Pull the cam sensor and see if the magnet is rotating when you crank it.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 23 May 2016, 03:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok guys I will try everything you've mentioned and get back to you. I charged the battery cuz that was my first thought the alternator had died and it was running off the battery but I will check all the connections thanks for the input
Old 23 May 2016, 06:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Okay so I got off work early today and it actually wasn't raining for about an hour or two. So I clean the battery terminals and the ground at the drivers fender seemed to improve a little bit. Tried the starting fluid trick did nothing. Remove the camshaft sensor verified intake cam is turning. I pulled out for spark plugs motor turns over very well. Check the spark plugs with a wire attach to ground probe other end attached to the ground . Spark at all for spark plugs. Perform compression test this is where it goes bad going to recheck after it stops raining I need a garage
Cylinder 1 30 PSI
Cylinder 2 0 psi
Cylinder 3 0 psi
Cylinder 4 60 PSI
Rechecked with oil in the cylinders slight Improvement
Cylinder 1 30 PSI
Cylinder 2 10 psi
Cylinder 3 25 psi
Cylinder 4 80 psi
Recheck the timing belt with straight edge across 04 timing marks looks like exhaust cam is counter clockwise one tooth I pulled the harmonic balancer pulley make sure it was at top dead center
I should have read check the codes before I disconnected the battery I remember two of them being for improper gear ratio 1st and 2nd gear respectively
Old 23 May 2016, 08:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you have the throttle body wide open when you were doing the engine compression test?
Old 23 May 2016, 08:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdave73 View Post
Okay so I got off work early today and it actually wasn't raining for about an hour or two. So I clean the battery terminals and the ground at the drivers fender seemed to improve a little bit. Tried the starting fluid trick did nothing. Remove the camshaft sensor verified intake cam is turning. I pulled out for spark plugs motor turns over very well. Check the spark plugs with a wire attach to ground probe other end attached to the ground . Spark at all for spark plugs. Perform compression test this is where it goes bad going to recheck after it stops raining I need a garage
Cylinder 1 30 PSI
Cylinder 2 0 psi
Cylinder 3 0 psi
Cylinder 4 60 PSI
Rechecked with oil in the cylinders slight Improvement
Cylinder 1 30 PSI
Cylinder 2 10 psi
Cylinder 3 25 psi
Cylinder 4 80 psi
Recheck the timing belt with straight edge across 04 timing marks looks like exhaust cam is counter clockwise one tooth I pulled the harmonic balancer pulley make sure it was at top dead center
I should have read check the codes before I disconnected the battery I remember two of them being for improper gear ratio 1st and 2nd gear respectively
24cams (1).JPG
This is what it should look like!

If you can get a picture of it and post it that would be great!

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 23 May 2016 at 10:18 pm.
Old 23 May 2016, 08:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

It sounds to me like you have a major transmission problem. Almost sounds like the dang torque converter has come loose from the crankshaft. For compression readings that low, though, damn near every valve would have to be stuck open. I just don't see that happening. Check your TCM connector at the solenoid pack on that tranny first. Something just isn't right with all those trans codes and now virtually no compression?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 24 May 2016, 01:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Alright I'll try and get a picture up of the timing gears the picture that you put up is the best one I've seen yet. I was really hoping just to get this thing running and then let the transmission shop take care of the transmission she believes it's still under warranty. I think I'm going to reset the timing belt and see if I can get any Improvement starting to lean towards a warped head or blown head gasket as well oh yeah the upper intake was off so the wot wouldn't be an issue I thought about that too after initial test when I realize the intake was off
Old 24 May 2016, 07:52 am
Senior Cruiser

When you say "reset the timing belt" you do mean that you are going to buy a new belt, right? They are like $18 and if it slipped, I wouldn't trust it or the shop that did the work. With those compression numbers I think you are hoping the belt or the gauge is broken.