Advertisements
PT Down. :(

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 May 2016, 04:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default PT Down. :(

Have not been here in awhile ...sorry.

We have had "issues" with the PT as of late sadly some of which were actually caused by me being stupid!!

But I never touched the engine.

Had the T belt done by the shop the car ran fine aside from tranny issues (my fault) but then suddenly it started to go down hill fast??

The idle started to drop, low back pressure, changed spark plugs seemed to be better?? But coming home from work it just died and won't start??

Checked/change fuel pump (cut a 9 by 9 hole under the back seat changed pump) I can hear it working now and there is pressure at the fuel rail.

Checked for spark .. used a rubber handled screwdriver and a rubber glove, leaned on fender .... got spark note for others "don't lean on the fender!" I had read something about putting your free hand in your pocket or behind your back ... now I know why ... yeah it's got spark!

But no start, called a mobile mechanical, he used the Snap On Code scanner ... Crank Cam, both Sensor Good but he can't pull codes from the ECU??

Somehow he managed to pull the cam cover without dropping the motor?? He did a rough check and said he thinks the motor is off a tooth or two (I did a rough check before hand so I knew the belt was connected.)

But under warrenty T-Belt. So back to the shop, they checked it and said .. there work is fine not the belt. They also could not pull codes from the ECU?? In addition they said when they were rotating the motor by hand ... it would bind at some point and then spin free????

They said "Catastrophic" motor failure??? It turns over fine but won't start and I have never seen a catastrophic engine failure without noise??? Loud bang, sound of bolts in a bucket or hole in the block, kinda thing but not a simple won't start???

Haven't looked at yet ... the car is back home (wife wanted to drop it off at "Pick n Pull"!!!)

If I have to rebuild it I will but I don't understand why no one can pull codes from the ECU??? What am I not seeing???

Last edited by Chip18sw; 23 May 2016 at 04:27 pm.
Old 23 May 2016, 07:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Down. :(

First thing I would do is concentrate on getting the diagnostic scanner to communicate with the PCM. Do you have an OBDII Scan Tool? If you don't have one you should buy one as its one of the most basic diagnostic tool you need for the PT Cruiser. You need to see for yourself if the scan tool will not communicate with the PCM. If it does not then you need to check and see if the PCM has the proper voltage going to it and the proper grounds. I recommend not doing anything else until you are able to communicate with the PCM and in turn it might give you engine trouble codes to help you find the problem.

This is where I got my OBDII Scan Tool.

Search results for: 'obdII scan tool'
Old 23 May 2016, 08:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
First thing I would do is concentrate on getting the diagnostic scanner to communicate with the PCM. Do you have an OBDII Scan Tool? If you don't have one you should buy one as its one of the most basic diagnostic tool you need for the PT Cruiser. You need to see for yourself if the scan tool will not communicate with the PCM. If it does not then you need to check and see if the PCM has the proper voltage going to it and the proper grounds. I recommend not doing anything else until you are able to communicate with the PCM and in turn it might give you engine trouble codes to help you find the problem.

This is where I got my OBDII Scan Tool.

Search results for: 'obdII scan tool'
Thanks but nope. I have a OBDll adaptor and a Smartphone app, I'd been using it for awhile ... worked fine.

When problems started, I tried to pull codes but could not?? My thoughts were well the motor won't start, so maybe I can't pull the codes?? So it must be me??

The two Pro's that tried were using something along these lines:
https://www1.snapon.com/diagnostics/us/modisultra

Car has 8.8 gallons of fuel in it among other details ...but they could not pull codes either???
Old 23 May 2016, 08:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest you check the pins on the socket that the OBDII Scan Tool goes into. Sometimes one of the pins can get bent down when trying to connect it. One other member I know of had to replace that socket.
chuzz likes this.
Old 23 May 2016, 08:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I find it very strange that nobody can pull codes from it. I agree with Steve that there's got to be a connection problem. Checking the plug is a great idea and the first thing I'd do if it were mine. You have fuel and fire, all that's left is compression and air. Did you try a shot of starting fluid by any chance?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 24 May 2016, 12:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I find it very strange that nobody can pull codes from it. I agree with Steve that there's got to be a connection problem. Checking the plug is a great idea and the first thing I'd do if it were mine. You have fuel and fire, all that's left is compression and air. Did you try a shot of starting fluid by any chance?
Yep tried that won't start, I can check the pins but that's doubtful?? The one mechanic said "I can't measure the pulse width of the spark, the motor cannot determine TDC???
Old 24 May 2016, 07:24 am
Veteran Cruiser

You can determine TDC for yourself by lining up the timing marks. Just because the "mechanic" tells you something doesn't mean he knows what the hell he's talking about. Depending on what type and where he got his training, he may just be too lazy to look for a simple solution to start with. Time is money for a garage that charges by the hour and the longer they take to figure out what's up with your car, the more they can charge you. Simple mathematics. If they aren't willing to take a close look at the diagnostic port connector, then you either need to do it yourself or find a garage that will.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 24 May 2016, 08:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Assuming that you have a 03 up. The connectors on the PCM should be checked. Also go the timing issue. Pull the valve cover. And check the cam alignment. There are holes in the cam that point to 12:00 when your at top dead center. If one is not. And the sprockets do line up. The cam spun and shears the pin. Insufficient torque on the cam sprocket the reason for this. This will affect compression and all the rest.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 May 2016, 09:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Assuming that you have a 03 up. The connectors on the PCM should be checked. Also go the timing issue. Pull the valve cover. And check the cam alignment. There are holes in the cam that point to 12:00 when your at top dead center. If one is not. And the sprockets do line up. The cam spun and shears the pin. Insufficient torque on the cam sprocket the reason for this. This will affect compression and all the rest.
+1

I would also suggesting doing a compression check on all cylinders.
Old 24 May 2016, 09:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

if you have spark and you have fuel and it will not fire on starting fluid it simply has to be a timing issue the plugs are firing but not on the combustion stroke unless like Busted said you have other issues