PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I idle eyes my PT but not when it is high

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 May 2016, 11:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default I idle eyes my PT but not when it is high

Aloha everyone I have an 03 turbo and all of the sudden the idle rpm jumped to 3800 at idle. while driving, if I put it to the carpet, runs and responds normally. But at idle too high. It sounds like a vacuum leak midway in front under plenum, but I cant see any vac lines there. I sprayed starting fluid in that area and the engine began to settle the idle and tried to stall but I stopped spraying and the idle went high again. the sucking sound I am hearing is a noise level equal to pulling the air box intake hose off the throttle body. What the heck could it be?
Old 27 May 2016, 12:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: I idle eyes my PT but not when it is high

I would suggest checking the vacuum hoses for leaks. Physically check the hoses for cracks. Check the hose going to the throttle body.
Old 27 May 2016, 12:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest checking the vacuum hoses for leaks. Physically check the hoses for cracks. Check the hose going to the throttle body.
Thanks Steve! Do you have a link to a diagram of the vac. lines, Haven't found one yet but looking. Thanks again
Old 27 May 2016, 12:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There should be one on the sticker on the radiator support when you open the hood. Let me know if you don't see it.
Old 27 May 2016, 03:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
There should be one on the sticker on the radiator support when you open the hood. Let me know if you don't see it.

UPDATE: I looked for the sticker but it is missing. I did find a shop manual online for my car and have been reading. I also check out some euro pt sites and decided to try spraying starting fluid around the area that I think I am hearing the vacuum leak. So I fired it up and right away "high idle" no kickdown response just high idle. I start spraying on all the hose connecti0ns, no change. As I'm spraying on and around the fuel rail and I get to the #4 cyl. injector, the idle starts dropping. So I keep spraying the #4 fuel injector and the engine almost died. Bad injector o-ring? bad injector?
I took the upper plenum off and grabbed each injector and they all move if i twist them a little. I didn't see any vacuum lines near the front of the engine where i was spraying.

Time for new injectors ? or can I get away with a upper plenum gasket and new injector o-rings"?
Old 27 May 2016, 06:06 am
Senior Cruiser

Since you are in there I would certainly change the gasket and all the O-rings, but I am betting that your problem was the intake gasket. Hopefully your lower is fine. Otherwise you'll have to do it all over again to pull the lower and swap that gasket. How did the plenum gasket look?
Old 27 May 2016, 07:55 am
Veteran Cruiser

I also have an 03 GT. Here's a pic of my vacuum routing diagram. I hope it helps as it sure sounds like that's your problem.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 27 May 2016, 09:59 am
Senior Cruiser

Did this car throw any codes? CEL on?

That is a pretty high idle. I would expect at least a P0121
Old 27 May 2016, 11:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Since you are in there I would certainly change the gasket and all the O-rings, but I am betting that your problem was the intake gasket. Hopefully your lower is fine. Otherwise you'll have to do it all over again to pull the lower and swap that gasket. How did the plenum gasket look?
Thanks for reply Fk5, that's kinda my thinking. The Plenum gasket looked good, OEM even (hard plastic kinda) except for a bit of moisture near the #4 intake. Im not sure if it was from or what it was. Could of been from when I was spraying starting fluid on the injector, because I sprayed it until the engine almost died. OR it could have been the rum and coke that I poured on the injector to see if it made any difference, which it did also just not as drastic . I had one foot in the bag by that time. Could that injector be bad? I sounds like that cylinder isnt firing even with the idle so high, but when I rap on it the response is normal it's all getty-up blast-off.
Old 27 May 2016, 11:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I also have an 03 GT. Here's a pic of my vacuum routing diagram. I hope it helps as it sure sounds like that's your problem.

Thanks for the photo Chuzz. My eyes are a bit fuzzy this morning, but I think I'll be able to follow the lines from the pic. I tried to make it larger, by rubbing it, lol just kidding, but it became pixelated. All good I figure it out. Thanks again