PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2007 PT Cruiser - Timing Belt

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 May 2016, 12:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question 2007 PT Cruiser - Timing Belt

Just over 6 years ago I bought a 2007 PT Cruiser with 52k miles from Carmax. It now has 92k. So I was looking into having the timing belt changed. Seeing how involved I have found that changing one can be I am assuming that CarMax didn't put on a new one before I bought the car. In the owner's manual they recommend changing it at around 102k miles. I have also seen various other mileages mentioned....anywhere from 80k to 100k. There was even one video where the mechanic recommended to change it around 50-60k miles. That seemed a bit early to me. Given the mileage that I have now it seems like a good time to at least start doing some research on what is involved, where to have it done, costs, etc. I understand that this is also a good time to have the water pump changed so at least you don't have to repeat the labor charges when the time comes to replace it. I am looking for recommendations as far as what else might need to be done at the same time, or needs to be replaced. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 29 May 2016, 01:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 PT Cruiser - Timing Belt

I would suggest making sure everything is working properly before changing the timing belt including having no engine trouble codes.

Members have had problems after changing the timing belt and if the PT Cruiser had other existing problems it makes it extremely hard to diagnose the problems related only to the timing belt change. If you take it to a mechanic to have it done they can say "That problem was there before the timing belt change" so they can possibly not have to fix any problems that might have been created by the timing belt change.
rckstein likes this.
Old 29 May 2016, 01:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Timing belt, water pump, idler, crank seal.

Had it belt, idler & pump replaced only to have the crank seal go a year later.
rckstein likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 29 May 2016, 01:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Make sure the center motor mount is replaced at the same time the timing belt is replaced. A member had to pay extra to have the center mount replaced not long after replacing the timing belt.

I would suggest that if you have someone else do the work you want to request that all original parts be given back to you.
rckstein likes this.
Old 29 May 2016, 02:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with the others - and want to add that if you have an auto trans, have it flushed, and if other belts have never been done, have them replaced as well.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 May 2016, 02:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Agree with the others - and want to add that if you have an auto trans, have it flushed, and if other belts have never been done, have them replaced as well.
I would suggest holding off on the flush. I highly recommend doing one project at a time otherwise if you have a problem you won't know if its the transmission or the engine if both are worked on.
rckstein likes this.
Old 29 May 2016, 02:54 pm
Banned

I would add tensioner (the one inside the cover) along with cam seals. If you have it done at a dealership, using all MOPAR parts, you could be looking at $1200-$1500. You can probably be certain that CarMax didn't have the work done while they had it. They're not going to put that kind of money into a car that they're trying to get rid of. The shop doing the work should also inspect the upper and lower torque struts, so replacing those at the same time could slightly increase the repair total.

Last edited by rckstein; 29 May 2016 at 03:00 pm.
Old 30 May 2016, 02:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

All of the advice above is excellent, especially the one about making sure the care has no other problems before you start. It is a very involved process that requires quite a bit to be removed, including breaking open the AC system. Be sure to have the center motor mount replaced as well as the crank seal.
rckstein likes this.
Old 31 May 2016, 10:40 am
Cool Cruiser

I just had the timing belt replaced in my 2008 pt cruiser Limited at 82K and after looking over the old parts, i'm glad i decided to have mine done "early". I was in a bit of a unique situation as I am still the original owner and still have the lifetime powertrain warranty that covers everything timing belt related (belt, pump, tensioner, ect.). Having said that, the periodic belt replacement is not covered. I would recommend going through a dealership (can't believe I just said that), if you can get them to agree to allowing you to purchase your own parts. Although everything but the belt would be covered under powertrain warranty, this car is my wife's daily interstate driver and didnt want to risk a break down to save a few bucks. My dealer quoted me $940 for labor and I purchased all my parts (OEM) online at a tremendous discount compared to what the dealer was going to charge. The labor was $940 for the belt and no additional labor charges were added for changing the other components because they were built into the dealers cost wether they were changed or not. The following was my cost (dealer was adding, on average, $50 to each part price listed below)
Labor $940
Center Mount -$110 (purchased from dealer)
Belt $54
Water Pump $110
Tensioner $78
Pulley $65
Coolant and shop material $40
So about $1400 buck total. As previously stated, I would recommend requesting all your old parts. This will help ensure the parts get replaced! If you do buy your own parts (OEM), the dealership "shouldn't" give you any problems as MOPAR over the counter purchased parts come with the same warranty as purchased through the dealership doing the work.
rckstein likes this.
Old 31 May 2016, 11:00 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
I just had the timing belt replaced in my 2008 pt cruiser Limited at 82K and after looking over the old parts, i'm glad i decided to have mine done "early". I was in a bit of a unique situation as I am still the original owner and still have the lifetime powertrain warranty that covers everything timing belt related (belt, pump, tensioner, ect.). Having said that, the periodic belt replacement is not covered. I would recommend going through a dealership (can't believe I just said that), if you can get them to agree to allowing you to purchase your own parts. Although everything but the belt would be covered under powertrain warranty, this car is my wife's daily interstate driver and didnt want to risk a break down to save a few bucks. My dealer quoted me $940 for labor and I purchased all my parts (OEM) online at a tremendous discount compared to what the dealer was going to charge. The labor was $940 for the belt and no additional labor charges were added for changing the other components because they were built into the dealers cost wether they were changed or not. The following was my cost (dealer was adding, on average, $50 to each part price listed below)
Labor $940
Center Mount -$110 (purchased from dealer)
Belt $54
Water Pump $110
Tensioner $78
Pulley $65
Coolant and shop material $40
So about $1400 buck total. As previously stated, I would recommend requesting all your old parts. This will help ensure the parts get replaced! If you do buy your own parts (OEM), the dealership "shouldn't" give you any problems as MOPAR over the counter purchased parts come with the same warranty as purchased through the dealership doing the work.
You paid about the going rate for dealership work, considering everything you had replaced. What was the condition of the center mount, torn? Can you post a pic of it?