• 3 Post By CREWZIN
  • 3 Post By SpannerHound
  • 1 Post By pasadenahotrod03Dreamer
  • 1 Post By ptprice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 May 2016, 04:04 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default PT cargo net configuration and deployment

I've carried the "cargo net" thingie kit for a few years nestled in the jack compartment. Never gave it a thought or passing glance till this morning when I'd loaded up my art to carry to a display tomorrow. Seeing the need to tie down that valuable load, it seemed like a perfect time to bring out the @#$%^&*!cargo net kit.

I couldn't figger it out. My guess is that some earlier owner of SOOO BIG couldn't figger it out either but took it all apart, screwed it up and stuffed it back in the kit bag!

Lookin' for reference I went to ebay to see some photos of PT cargo nets and how they're configured and deployed. The ones I saw had bias tape on the edges.This'n appears to have a reinforcing line that should be threaded around the perimeter.

I spread the net all out and tried to untangle it. The last four photos are of that effort.

I still couldn't figger it out, so in frustration I admit defeat and ask for the sage, knowledgeable advise of some PT Forum experts on this pressing issue.

I'm hopin all the clips, hooks, lines and other thingies are still there awaiting instructions on how to put it back together. (See photos) That black line on the chair in the last photo is sorta like a long elastic bungee with clip ends instead of hooks.

If not, I might convert it to a bait net or give it to a lady friend who could use it as a hair net.

Please advise. All suggestions gratefully accepted! Thanks, Happy Ptin, ptprice

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 30 May 2016 at 05:09 pm. Reason: Adding detail photos
Old 30 May 2016, 05:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT cargo net configuration and deployment

That net is all messed up. Here's mine that I never used. Just took it out of a box in the attic and laid it out. it has four hooks (one on each end), A solid band, when folded and hung up in the car is used as a pocket net and a stong single line running on the sides and up the middle.

rckstein, ptprice and Gkon like this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 May 2016, 07:18 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Crewzin thanks. Your net appears a bit different than SOOO BIGs. It has the bias tape on two sides. It may be 'cause your Pt is an earlier first generation PT. Chrysler probably went with the lowest bidder for these each year.

SOOO BIG's net had one unattached "hook". From the first photo it looks like those "hooks" go on the corners that don't have ties.

There is a long line threaded almost around the perimeter. It's looped at both ends but lack about two feet of meeting at the bottom.

I gotta figger that long black bungee thingie with the clips on the end are part of the works.

Hopefully another PTer with a similar cargo net can give this tangled net of confusion some semblance of order.

Figgerin' out SOOO BIG's cargo net is an innocuous but thought provokin' project.

Happy Ptin', ptprice

Any more suggestions?
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 30 May 2016, 07:41 pm
Banned

You're never going to make sense out of the mess of a cargo net that you have, it's not an original PT style, doesn't have all the other clips and loops like it should have.

This is an original style (like "CREWZIN" has pictured):

2002 PT Cruiser Cargo Net Manual and Head Lights | eBay

An original style has extra loops across the top to hook onto the hooks on the underside of the shelf when put in the top position.

Here's another one at an outrageous price! Glad I got my original one for $20

Chrysler 01 03 PT Cruiser Interior Rear Cargo Net 5023356AA | eBay

Last edited by rckstein; 30 May 2016 at 07:52 pm.
Old 31 May 2016, 12:55 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: PT cargo net configuration and deployment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
I spread the net all out and tried to untangle it. The last four photos are of that effort.
Tell the truth, you knitted that yourself didn't you?
rckstein, ptprice and Gkon like this.
Old 31 May 2016, 02:51 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I found a fabric cargo "net" in a 07 Cruiser in a local junkyard. It was dimensionally just like the true string nets and had hooks and loops sewn in the perimeter but was made of a smooth rather loosely woven fabric. Sadly it was torn and ragged and dirty. Somewhere I have a photo of it. My son and I were very surprised to see this variant.
ptprice likes this.
Old 31 May 2016, 06:06 am
Dedicated Cruiser

It might be that some of these cargo nets were dealer supplied. I don't see it listed on SOOO BIG's build sheet. That build list is evidence that Chrysler had the verbose propensity for listing anything they possibly could on that sheet to impress the potential customer!

Possibly I could thread that long bungee through the open end of the net and use it's end clips for the attachment means on those two ends of the net. That'd make that side of the net stretchable. There's a peripheral integrity to the other three sides with a common cord running through them. I'll swap the position of the four end clips and (apparent) tie off lines and should get a functioning "MULTI USE PT CRUISER CARGO NET"

The brand name on the cargo net storage bag is Axius. I looked it up and it's a well known, quality, cargo net supplier. Additionally the bag held a few short bungees that I've used over the years till I've just about destroyed 'em.

If I connect the neck bone to the ankle bone I think I can make this cargo net work. Apparently it's been with SOOO BIG for his life time so there's and intrinsic sentimental value to figgerin' this out to solution.

It may not be "original" PT equipment but it's original to SOOO BIG. Whadaya think?

Life is always fun in the wonder land of SOOO BIG.

Happy PTin', ptprice

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg
Old 31 May 2016, 07:02 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I have to admit defeat. I've tried every configuration possible to make this @#$%^&*! cargo net work. As sagely advised by Crewzin, rckstein and other Forum luminaries this cargo net is worthless. "BUSUNGA"

The Apache's have a word for it, first heard by Adli Stevenson long ago during a campaign stump speech when the warriors in the back of the crowd kept chanting, "BUSUNGA, BUSUNGA".

When his speech was over he confidently went to his campaign manager and said "they must have really liked my speech, those warriors kept chanting "BUSUNGA". By the way", he said, " what does that mean?"

His campaign manager pointed to a steaming pile of "BUSUNGA" behind a pinto pony. Question asked, question answered.

This cargo net project for SOOO BIG was so much "BUSUNGA"

Thanks anyway. It now resides in the "round file"!

Happy Ptin', ptprice
rckstein likes this.