PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
pinstriping ideas??

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2016, 08:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default pinstriping ideas??

Hi All, I'm new to the forum, I'm building a Pt Cruiser for my 16yoa daughter. I finally got paint finished and it just needs wet sanded and buffed. I've got a pinstriper coming out in a couple weeks and wanted to get some ideas on colors/designs. the bottom is painted in standard PT Cruiser (PS2) silver and top is Atomic Orange from a 07 Corvette. Thanks in advance for any input.

pt.jpg
rckstein, ptprice and Gkon like this.
Old 01 Jun 2016, 07:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: pinstriping ideas??

Welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

The forum admin, CREWZIN, has some truly beautiful pinstriping on his PT. And forum member, Gkon, has been doing some pretty nice stuff. You might check with these two on some good ideas.
Gkon and mrkeegan1 like this.
Old 01 Jun 2016, 08:55 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

The forum admin, CREWZIN, has some truly beautiful pinstriping on his PT. And forum member, Gkon, has been doing some pretty nice stuff. You might check with these two on some good ideas.
Thanks for that Handy, but I'm stricly a newbie when it comes to doing pinstriping. I have admired it for years, however.

I'd suggest something tasteful on the hood, near the nose, something just above the rear hatch lever, something on the rear pillars behind the rear windows, and possibly some simple stripe(s) around the perimeter of the car, above the beltline.
All in all, it's a personal choice and the person doing the striping should be able to also provide input.

Rob342 is an old hand at striping. Talk to him if you have a chance.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 01 Jun 2016, 09:56 am
Banned

Welcome to the forum

The one pic that you teased us with of your PT project looks beautiful. Please post more pics when finished. I hope you get to enjoy driving the PT, at least once in a while, and your daughter and her friends should really love it

As far as pinstriping ideas, I would almost leave that up to your artist as they will have some experience in what they have done on other vehicles. You will be giving them a clean slate to work with, and as I suspect as with most artists, they like to make each project just a little different so it is unique. Just so long as it's not overboard, but tasteful.
mrkeegan1 likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 01 Jun 2016 at 10:42 am.
Old 01 Jun 2016, 11:38 am
Dedicated Cruiser

That's an awesome paint job! Here's a "pin stripe" suggestion. A simple pin striped line in a contrasting color above the belt line in the orange or below the belt line in the silver would be elegant and understated.

Here's a look at what enhancing that belt line achieves. I just added a 3/8" chrome trim above the belt line on SOOO BIG and I'm really satisfied with subtly of the results.

Happy PTin', ptprice

SOOO BIG does't need suspenders anymore 005 reduced_NEW.jpg

SOOO BIG does't need suspenders anymore 009 reduced_NEW.jpg

SOOO BIG does't need suspenders anymore 010 reduce_NEW.jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 01 Jun 2016 at 04:28 pm. Reason: add photos
Old 01 Jun 2016, 09:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Nice pics, but how did you finish the front?
Old 01 Jun 2016, 09:54 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

red98gt. Thanks. A front photo of SOOO BIG'd be redundant as his dental work is shown in my signature photo. But for the uninitiated, here's a peek.

That two piece chrome grill is a fifteen year old family heirloom passed down to SOOO BIG from AquacruiserPT, my son Steves' pristine first year Aquamarine Metalic PT that he ordered brand new in 2000. He's got the whole family hooked on PTs. My brother Scott drives a 2006 Inferno Red PT Turbo Vert, my son Pricie has a 2005 Midnight Blue PT Turbo Vert and SOOO BIG is a 2005 Cool Vanilla White PT with the non Turbo DOHC engine.

SOOO BIG does't need suspenders anymore 002 reduced_NEW.jpg

There's more photos of SOOO BIG in my photo gallery and a complete description in the signature.

Happy Ptin', ptprice
rockandroller likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 02 Jun 2016, 05:57 am
Cool Cruiser

Nice job, I've seen that roll chrome in my Auto Store before, but never saw it installed. What did you use to cut the pieces, and how is it holding up (car washes, 4 seasons, etc) ?
Old 02 Jun 2016, 09:42 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I actually picked it up for a song on an ebay site for $7.49 for 12 feet. That included shipping. It holds up famously under weather temperature fluctuation and car washes. As far as installation, I chose 3/8" so it'd fit in the space under the front hood emblem. I don't like the chopped off look that PT owners who have installed 1/2" chrome stripping use when they get to the hood emblem 'cause they find 1/2 doesn't fit under the emblem.

Install each length using a pre-applied masking tape guide to get it straight. The adhesive is very aggressive and it's a one shot deal to getting it right. Over cut each length then chop it back correctly with a sharp safety razor. being careful of your paint. As you make the final cut, cut back from the edge by 1/8" and make all cuts perfectly vertical instead of trying to emulate the angle of the edge.

The assumptive lengths are as follows;
front doors 41 1/8" X 2
rear doors 37 3/8" X 2
rear quarters 25 1/2" X 2
rear deck 48 1/2" (1)
hood 117" (1)

You can buy glorified pre-cut kits for this or rolls at an auto parts store. Big bucks. For this great buy I went to ebay. Good luck.

Happy Ptin', ptprice
rockandroller and Gkon like this.
Old 02 Jun 2016, 08:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: pinstriping ideas??

Here's some photos from my photobucket account of a wider, pebbly pin stripe that worked well on the Vanilla and Mitsubishi Rotor Glow Orange COWBOY CRUISER!
The guy did this because the original owner had a wide variegated blue pinstripe that would have been expensive to remove.
He did one color stripe at the top; another color at the bottom; and blended them with a sponge.
Looks great IMHO!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!