Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How many '01's are still around?

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jun 2016, 03:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default How many '01's are still around?

A lot of people I meet with PT cruisers don't have the earlier years of them ('01-'04).

I'm just curious, how many people around here still have '01 PT Cruisers? If so, how well have they held up for you?

My '01 has 141K and still drives fantastic and barely has any body and undercarriage rust, which isn't bad considering it has been in New England it's whole life. People tell me I should get a new car, but if it keeps running great why get rid of it? I've attached a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt cruiser.jpg (52.8 KB, 113 views)
Old 02 Jun 2016, 03:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How many '01's are still around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonN View Post
A lot of people I meet with PT cruisers don't have the earlier years of them ('01-'04).

I'm just curious, how many people around here still have '01 PT Cruisers? If so, how well have they held up for you?

My '01 has 141K and still drives fantastic and barely has any body and undercarriage rust, which isn't bad considering it has been in New England it's whole life. People tell me I should get a new car, but if it keeps running great why get rid of it? I've attached a picture.

Nice PT. It's very similar to the 2001 that I had.

At least where I live, the 2001 and 2002 PT's are extremely numerous. I likely still see more of these on the road than the newer ones. According to the history page on Northwest Cruisers PT Club, there were more PT's made in 2001 than any other year with around 145,000 units. Chrysler actually appears to have made two different "batches" of 2001 PT's. The first batch was made starting in early 2000 and second in late 2000 thru about June or July of 2001. And there are a few minor differences between batches as well as other differences made at various times during this period. But overall, the 2001 PT is the most special in my opinion with several unique features.
VsandFords and JonN like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 02 Jun 2016 at 04:00 pm.
Old 02 Jun 2016, 05:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I know of one that's still alive and kicking. I wouldn't hesitate to jump in and drive across county or on another 3000 mile Hot Rod Power Tour. Still has the original multifunction stalk, computer and front wheel bearings. Engine and transaxle have never been worked on cept for plugs and wires.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 02 Jun 2016 at 05:16 pm.
Old 02 Jun 2016, 10:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

There are enough running around to keep a constant supply in the pick yards around Houston. Good sources for those hard to find accessories.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 04:05 am
Cool Cruiser

I've got an '01. Ordered in April of 2000, took delivery in September, probably manufactured in August. It's held up well. Some rust underneath and in one of the doors, I'm keeping after that with Fluid Film. I liked the original gray bumpers, but keeping after the tape marks has been a bugger. I thought the chrome wheels would last forever, but I recently replaced them with steel wheels and hubcaps. The chrome wheels were an absolute mess, with white powder corrosion under the chrome all over the place. The rest has been typical mechanical stuff, typical for 127K miles. 16 years on, I'm satisfied, with no plans to replace it.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 05:49 am
Regular Cruiser

I see plenty of them down in Melbourne, Straya. Probably more common than second gen models, but I can't say for sure how many are from the original production year. At any rate, we love our PTs down here, I seem to see them everywhere. Maybe I'm just looking for them
Old 03 Jun 2016, 07:07 am
Cool Cruiser

Around here in Massachusetts, a lot of the '01's I see for sale are sold "as is" because the owner never had the timing belt changed and then it snapped and aren't interested in replacing that, the tensioners, and water pump because of the cost. However, I see a good amount of '06's and up for sale though.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 08:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonN View Post
Around here in Massachusetts, a lot of the '01's I see for sale are sold "as is" because the owner never had the timing belt changed and then it snapped and aren't interested in replacing that, the tensioners, and water pump because of the cost. However, I see a good amount of '06's and up for sale though.

Yep. I see the same here in Arkansas. This makes the older PT's a very good deal if you can do the timing belt job yourself. And I see what you mean for the 2006 and up (2nd Gen PT's) being common too. At least where I live, it appears that the more plain-model 2nd Gen PT's were marketed more as economy wagons. So lots of older women seem to have them. I rarely see the nicer (Touring, Limited, GT and well-modded Base) model 2nd Gen PT's like some of the members here have.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 Jun 2016 at 08:55 am.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 09:31 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: How many '01's are still around?

ScrappyDoo is from 01, 04, 05 with around 170K on it. Officially it's an 04/05. I mention those years because every time I go to do something to it, I keep finding anomalies in the parts I need for it. Some of the parts seem to be from the 01-02 range, others straddle the change in 04/5. I really think mine was built for a laugh on a Friday with spare parts

It has had more issues than Playboy, but still racking up the miles. There's a couple of tiny rust spots here and there where stones have got at it, but otherwise in pretty good condition considering. It's my wife's daily driver and I love/ hate it
Old 03 Jun 2016, 10:06 am
Senior Cruiser

Mine is a '01 LE with 108,000. Bought it in May of 2014. After what seems to be the normal repairs, MFS, struts, shocks, tie rods, control arms, rad fan, thermostat, plugs and wires. All done basically as soon as I got it home, my little red ride is trouble free.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Tags
pt cruiser 2001