PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil pan drain plug... threads stripping out?

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2016, 11:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Question Oil pan drain plug... threads stripping out?

Say, does anyone think this a common problem with PTs?

Last couple of oil changes I had, (at various drive-in-oil-change places) the techs there were commenting that they were concerned about the threads on the oil pan drain plug. No leaks to date, but I'm starting to get paranoid about the next oil change (Not entirely confident about the quality of the techs at these places, and I have tried every one in town...)

Anyway, it's time for an oil change, and now being a bit leery of the oil-change places I'm contemplating booking it in at a dealer.

Was just curious - if somebody does strip out the drain plug, does that mean I'll need a new oil pan? Or is there a reliable insert for this application?

Also - does the drain pan bolt have a crush washer that should be renewed every time? ( or periodically? )
Old 03 Jun 2016, 11:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil pan drain plug... threads stripping out?

PS: .. "in the event"... has anyone had success with these 'oversize self-tapping' products?

Dorman Products - Search Results

(just found a reference in another thread here)
Old 03 Jun 2016, 11:53 am
Fanatic Cruiser

When I got my Outback in 2008, I was contemplating putting on a Fumoto Oil drain valve. It looks like a spigot. It costs in the mid $20's so you don't need to unscrew/screw the drain plug every time you want to change your oil.

I never did it because in all the oil changes I've ever done, I've never found the need so why add one more failure point. I guess if I really messed up and stripped the threads, it would have been worth it, but unless you (or the oil changer) are really careless, it's unlikely to happen. The plug is hard and the pan is steel, not like a soft aluminum engine block where you might cross thread a blind mate.
rockandroller likes this.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 11:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

on my PT I have rounded the drain plug my bad but never stripped it out
I have however use the over size drain plug it is basically a self taping
bolt and it worked on the 350 chevy I used it on

I cant see what they think it is "ABOUT TO STRIP--unles they really over tourqued it one time)
Old 03 Jun 2016, 01:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

The Dorman plugs work good in my opinion. When I got my Cruiser, the plugs was on its last thread and I had to do something on the next oil change. 1 over size plug did the trick. I've used them in the past on Fords just like cruserdad1976 used them on Chevys.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 03 Jun 2016, 01:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

I would first try re-tapping to the original size (or try using a new bolt) to clean-up the threads before I over-sized the hole.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 02:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
The Dorman plugs work good in my opinion. When I got my Cruiser, the plugs was on its last thread and I had to do something on the next oil change. 1 over size plug did the trick. I've used them in the past on Fords just like cruserdad1976 used them on Chevys.
+1 Same good experience as mentioned here. They seem to work well.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 02:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
I would first try re-tapping to the original size (or try using a new bolt) to clean-up the threads before I over-sized the hole.
If its already loose cleaning out the threads might not work
Old 03 Jun 2016, 05:11 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

In restoration, I've often solved similar problems by going "oversized".

In the case of your stripped drain hole and plug, using the Dorman self tapping oversized plug would be the most reasonable, conservative, reliable fix.

If you can start it with old oil still in the pan, the outflow after the re-thread should flush out any residual metal shavings. I'd get in there with a magnet too,just to be sure they're all cleaned out.

Hopefully the new Dorman plug is magnetized. A great feature in an oil plug! I'm guessing all of that is addressed in the Dorman kit. Good luck.

Happy Ptin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 04 Jun 2016, 01:20 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: Oil pan drain plug... threads stripping out?

It's hard to tell if they are genuinely worried about it, or just want some extra coin from you. One way to tell might be to ask them to have a look at before they fill it with oil again and judge for yourself if it's really loose or shows sign of thread damage. If they say no, it's probably just an excuse.

Whenever I do any work on someone else's car, I always show the faulty parts to the owner if I can and explain why the part is faulty. I always offer them the old parts to take away with them and I'm just as happy to show them the faulty part on the vehicle if it's possible before I do anything to it.

If the oil pan was stripped, which is very unlikely in normal use, it can only happen if some idiot really over tightened the plug. I have seen some places use strong bars to remove and re-tighten drain plugs, or worse, an impact gun. I walk away shaking my head and thinking "if only the owner knew...".

To repair it after being stripped, I would drill the pan and fit a helicoil steel insert along with a new plug. Clean up with a flush to remove any stray shavings, fit a new filter and fill with oil, tightening the new plug to 20 ft/lb.
It's a little more involved than using some self tapping after-market thing, but the advantage is it restores the original thread size, allowing you to use a genuine part in the future should it need replaced.

It may of course just simply be a worn drain plug, it does happen. For all the cost of a replacement, if there's any doubt about the condition of the original, I would just get one and toss it in the glove box for next time