Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Steering wheel spokes removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jun 2016, 03:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Steering wheel spokes removal

Hello. I have a PT Cruiser Limited 2009, which has a steering wheel with original matte silver spoke covers. Unfortunetly, because of use and hands sweat, the silver painting is fading away, and a pure plastic color (clear yellow) has appeared. So, in order to paint it again, I'd like to know if it is possible to remove only these covers, or if the entire steering wheel should be removed.
Thanks.
Old 04 Jun 2016, 04:02 pm
Banned

Default Re: Steering wheel spokes removal

How about trying this from another member, you can be creative and use leather that matches the body color of your PT, and would be much easier than removing the steering wheel

Steering Wheel Spoke Covers DIY
Old 04 Jun 2016, 06:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Very Nice idea. Like the other member told, the shift ball of mine has the same problem. Anyway, I'd really like to know if it's possible to disassemble those spoke covers. However, removing the entire steering wheel is something I wouldn't do. I noticed a line of a two piece fitment in each spoke cover, but I'm afraid it involves glue.
Old 05 Jun 2016, 10:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

G'day Thimounier! Welcome to the forums, from sunny (but currently rainy) Australia!

You're right on with that two piece theory mate, the top half is a cover. The bottom half is screwed onto each spoke with two grub screws. There is an L shaped rebate in the top half which slots in, but I believe there may be an epoxy as you suggested.

You could gently part the pieces by running a thin blade between the halves. I will check mine and see if I can get more information.

Cheers
Old 13 Jun 2016, 07:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Good evening, 917K!
Sorry for the delay... I much enjoy your answer. Did you try on your own PT Cruiser? I am still afraid of this. I live in Brazil and here it is not ease -- and cheap -- to buy any part for any Chrysler model.
Cheers
Old 14 Dec 2016, 10:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Does anybody know how to remove these spoke covers without damaging?
Old 15 Dec 2016, 01:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Sorry no idea how to remove them but I would be more concerned with what your going to find under them? If you planning on just repainting them you can do it without removing them, just cover the surrounding areas with plastic sheet and tape, sand the area smooth, mask it off and shoot it with some light coats of paint. The idea that was suggested about covering them with leather is the best idea if it's possible for you. Good luck

Tags
spokes, steering wheel