PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2007 Timing Belt Change...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jun 2016, 05:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy 2007 Timing Belt Change...

I bought a 2007 PT cruiser about 3 months ago, since purchase I've driven it for a total of 3 weeks... I got it really cheap. It was wrecked, so it had some exterior issues, but over all a great running little car... I went through and bought new Cam and Crank sensors as the Check engine light was on. I replaced the radiator neck, and cap as it started over heating (never over 2/3 if even that far). Upon changing those things, I realized maybe the Radiator fan wasn't working correctly, so I replaced that (wreck damage was to the front passenger side, including the radiator area). Radiator was already new.

So all was fine on nice days (70 degrees or less). Then I noticed it would over heat on 70-80 degree days, so I went to check the radiator hose to see if it was really overheating... Yea, it was hot, still nothing bad, but I also noticed the radiator hose had an extreme amount of pressure, so I parked it, until I got a better opinion. Did a compression test, and it had around 100 on Cyl 1 and 4, but 2 and 3 were around 40 or less... So it was concluded the least problem was headgasket. Recently got the head off, found a 1/4" between Cyl 2 and 3 was missing, explaining the pressure, and compression. Now after the headgasket was removed, we noticed a chunk of metal was missing from the intake sprocket/gear and suspected this happened around the accident since we could not find the missing chunk... So we bought a timing belt kit with the headgasket as well as a water pump, tensionor and pully. All the goodies... Wallet is hurting now...

So we got it together, and the mechanic asks if we can test start it to ensure everything is correct. So I think that is a great idea. why tear it all back down if something is a miss... So we crank a few times without spark and fuel to lube the pistons properly (lubed em during headgasket change as well). He has all the electronics hooked up, nothing broke, I even have looked at it several times, upon cranking it with fuel and electronic distributor hooked up and fuel rail electronics, we get no spark. We can smell fuel! but no spark... Only thing I can figure is the harmonic balancer is off, and accessories are not spinning (alternator, A/C, etc...)

Any ideas???
Old 04 Jun 2016, 05:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 Timing Belt Change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomp View Post
I bought a 2007 PT cruiser about 3 months ago, since purchase I've driven it for a total of 3 weeks... I got it really cheap. It was wrecked, so it had some exterior issues, but over all a great running little car... I went through and bought new Cam and Crank sensors as the Check engine light was on. I replaced the radiator neck, and cap as it started over heating (never over 2/3 if even that far). Upon changing those things, I realized maybe the Radiator fan wasn't working correctly, so I replaced that (wreck damage was to the front passenger side, including the radiator area). Radiator was already new.

So all was fine on nice days (70 degrees or less). Then I noticed it would over heat on 70-80 degree days, so I went to check the radiator hose to see if it was really overheating... Yea, it was hot, still nothing bad, but I also noticed the radiator hose had an extreme amount of pressure, so I parked it, until I got a better opinion. Did a compression test, and it had around 100 on Cyl 1 and 4, but 2 and 3 were around 40 or less... So it was concluded the least problem was headgasket. Recently got the head off, found a 1/4" between Cyl 2 and 3 was missing, explaining the pressure, and compression. Now after the headgasket was removed, we noticed a chunk of metal was missing from the intake sprocket/gear and suspected this happened around the accident since we could not find the missing chunk... So we bought a timing belt kit with the headgasket as well as a water pump, tensionor and pully. All the goodies... Wallet is hurting now...

So we got it together, and the mechanic asks if we can test start it to ensure everything is correct. So I think that is a great idea. why tear it all back down if something is a miss... So we crank a few times without spark and fuel to lube the pistons properly (lubed em during headgasket change as well). He has all the electronics hooked up, nothing broke, I even have looked at it several times, upon cranking it with fuel and electronic distributor hooked up and fuel rail electronics, we get no spark. We can smell fuel! but no spark... Only thing I can figure is the harmonic balancer is off, and accessories are not spinning (alternator, A/C, etc...)

Any ideas???

The Cam Sensor & Coil plugs are the same, many users have mixed them up when plugging them back in...switch these two plugs.
rckstein, ptprice and Stomp like this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 04 Jun 2016, 06:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Is the engine light on? If so what are the engine trouble codes?
Old 04 Jun 2016, 09:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
The Cam Sensor & Coil plugs are the same, many users have mixed them up when plugging them back in...switch these two plugs.
LIFE SAVER!!! lol Thank you so much, me and my mechanic were completely stumped, it ran before the repair, I drove it to his shop...

Swapped out those connections and it fired right up! Thanks again! I noticed right away once I looked at the Cam sensor plug, I remembered it had an orange wire, upon checking it, there was no orange wires... So crazy, those 2 plugs are the ONLY 2 that can be goofed up, so glad it was that though and not something more!
rckstein and ptprice like this.
Old 04 Jun 2016, 09:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Is the engine light on? If so what are the engine trouble codes?
P0340 was on, which... is the Cam sensor, we were looking at that, but it was at night, and I couldn't see wires/colors. It didn't even strike us that we had the wrong connections on the sensor and ignition coil pack... Shocked it didn't harm something! :\

Thanks for the quick help! I will report back with my final result. And a pic of my intake timing gear, so odd!!!
Old 04 Jun 2016, 09:45 pm
Banned

Quote:
LIFE SAVER!!! lol Thank you so much, me and my mechanic were completely stumped, it ran before the repair, I drove it to his shop...

Swapped out those connections and it fired right up! Thanks again! I noticed right away once I looked at the Cam sensor plug, I remembered it had an orange wire, upon checking it, there was no orange wires... So crazy, those 2 plugs are the ONLY 2 that can be goofed up, so glad it was that though and not something more!
Yep, i can just see it now, somewthere there's that Chrysler engineer that designed these connectors to be identical rolling around on the floor laughing his butt off that he got another one to connect them wrong

I wonder how many of their own techs working at their dealerships have made the same mistake

I'm surprised that the wires going to both connectors, that each set is long enough to reach each component. If they were different lengths, if you tried to connect one plug and it wouldn't reach the wrong component, then there would be no question that it didn't belong there, and it would be obvious it went to the other component .

Last edited by rckstein; 04 Jun 2016 at 10:13 pm.
Old 05 Jun 2016, 11:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Yep, i can just see it now, somewthere there's that Chrysler engineer that designed these connectors to be identical rolling around on the floor laughing his butt off that he got another one to connect them wrong

I wonder how many of their own techs working at their dealerships have made the same mistake

I'm surprised that the wires going to both connectors, that each set is long enough to reach each component. If they were different lengths, if you tried to connect one plug and it wouldn't reach the wrong component, then there would be no question that it didn't belong there, and it would be obvious it went to the other component .
lol It truly is amazing what it takes to be an engineer these days, and yet... No brainers pop out of the design everyday... I would think the 2 connectors were originally designed to be Crank sensor and Electronic Coil Pack to have the same fittings. Then the wires wouldn't reach, but that ship has sailed and sold to millions lol... The weight lifted from my shoulders was huge to hear it start up and run! I looked online and no one had that info available, atleast how I searched it.
rckstein likes this.
Old 05 Jun 2016, 01:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm part of the club too.
rckstein likes this.
Old 05 Jun 2016, 01:17 pm
Banned

Quote:
lol It truly is amazing what it takes to be an engineer these days, and yet... No brainers pop out of the design everyday... I would think the 2 connectors were originally designed to be Crank sensor and Electronic Coil Pack to have the same fittings. Then the wires wouldn't reach, but that ship has sailed and sold to millions lol... The weight lifted from my shoulders was huge to hear it start up and run! I looked online and no one had that info available, atleast how I searched it.
It's been brought up numerous times on this forum and there are several ways that could have been implemented that would have prevented any confusion. But I guess Chrysler got a good deal on those connectors by the boatload, and just used that same connector. But glad to hear that you're up and running
Old 05 Jun 2016, 01:18 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTloser32805 View Post
I'm part of the club too.
That made the same mistake?