Advertisements
Changed pass seat = airbag error code

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By SpannerHound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jun 2016, 01:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Changed pass seat = airbag error code

I need help! Long story short, my cat had to go to the vet. He peed in his crate. Crate was on passenger seat. Cat pee on passenger seat. Needed new seat.

So I found same model year at the junk yard. However, I have basic cloth seats and this was an upgraded model with leather. I brought the seat home, put it in, plugged in the electrical underneath and now I have the airbag light warning coming on on the dash and it shows on the center console that the passenger side airbag is off.

I checked the wiring harness on the new seat and it has more wires than the old plain-Jane seat. (It also has a side airbag that my seat did not have.) It also has a completely separate yellow connector that my old seat did not have and I have nothing to plug that into (or even know what it's for, but possibly -- my guess -- the side airbag.)

How can I make this work? Or can I? I'm really glad not to be smelling cat pee everywhere I go, but I'd like the comfort of the passenger airbag working just in case.

Also, they have the driver's side seat there too, which I'd like to install just to have a matching set of leather seats.

My local shop wants $150 to diagnose and then, I'm sure, it will be a lot more to fix. I'd appreciate any help I could get!
Old 06 Jun 2016, 02:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Changed pass seat = airbag error code

The new leather seat with the extra connections probably has heat capabilities plus more air-bags (as you found out). With those extras that you didn't have, I very much doubt if you can jury-rig something up to stop the light from coming on. That's only my guess.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Jun 2016, 05:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: Changed pass seat = airbag error code

I would second what Crewzin said. You have zero chance of making that work. You need a seat from the same model and trim as your original. Now that it's thrown an SRS fault and brought the light on, you'll also likely need a scan tool to clear it. Once you have the correct seat fitted that is

Oh, and usually, when any problem is detected with the SRS system and it logs a fault, your airbags will not deploy until all faults are cleared.
Old 14 Jun 2016, 10:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Changed pass seat = airbag error code

Thanks, all. I've come to the same conclusion. I took off the cat-pee passenger seat pad, washed it in hot water and soap, dried it in the sun, and I seem to have eliminated most of the smell. I guess if I can get it back together , I will go back to my old seat and get the code cleared so the airbag works.

I appreciate the help.

Tags
airbag light, new seat