PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pt cruiser won't stay running

 
Like Tree6Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2016, 06:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lake Wales, FL
Posts: 5,011
Default Re: Pt cruiser won't stay running

Pull your spark plugs and post a picture of them. Since you have the N/A engine, just pull the ones you can get to without removing the intake. I'd like to see what the hell they look like.
__________________


Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2016, 08:47 am
LionPT's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,443
Default Re: Pt cruiser won't stay running

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Pull your spark plugs and post a picture of them. Since you have the N/A engine, just pull the ones you can get to without removing the intake. I'd like to see what the hell they look like.

You can't pull out any plugs on the N/A without removing the intake.
__________________

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2016, 09:08 am
rckstein's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,518
Default Re: Pt cruiser won't stay running

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
You can't pull out any plugs on the N/A without removing the intake.
You should be able to get to 1 and 4 without pulling the intake, a tech at a dealership swapped those plugs on my PT when he was troubleshooting a misfire issue, that ended up being a bad after-market coil.

Last edited by rckstein; 14 Jun 2016 at 12:05 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2016, 09:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,598
Default Re: Pt cruiser won't stay running

I would suggest checking the wire harness from the crankshaft sensor to the PCM. On the 2001 PT Cruisers its very common for the wire harness to break from a clip holding up the wire harness to the engine block and drop down to the half shaft rubbing through the wires, shorting the wires to ground.
chuzz likes this.
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2016, 04:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lake Wales, FL
Posts: 5,011
Default Re: Pt cruiser won't stay running

Good idea, Steve. But you CAN remove #1 and #4. It's 2 and 3 that are a witch to get to. Someday I'd like to punch an engineer in the nose.
__________________


Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2016, 04:23 pm
rckstein's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,518
Default Re: Pt cruiser won't stay running

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Good idea, Steve. But you CAN remove #1 and #4. It's 2 and 3 that are a witch to get to. Someday I'd like to punch an engineer in the nose.
If the plugs on a turbo can be replaced without removing the upper plenum, then obviously a plenum can be designed to allow for that. So why does the N/A plenum have to be different, why can't it be designed to allow for access to all the plugs
chuzz likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 14 Jun 2016 at 04:32 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2016, 10:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lake Wales, FL
Posts: 5,011
Default Re: Pt cruiser won't stay running

Good question. I'm just happy that I have the turbo engine! Not just for that reason, but it sure helps.
rckstein likes this.
__________________


Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jun 2016, 02:38 am
SpannerHound's Avatar
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Scotland, but in Canada on Holiday
Posts: 192
Smile Re: Pt cruiser won't stay running

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
So why does the N/A plenum have to be different, why can't it be designed to allow for access to all the plugs

Not to derail the thread, but...

I asked myself the very same question recently, in relation to the 4 wing bolts that are held in place by a strip of chewing gum? Which then hold the front bumper fascia on. Cunningly placed, I noticed, where hacksaws don't fit. I thought, at first, it must have been because their CAD resolution was greater than my own, then I realised that it was actually because their scale drawing was off by an inch or two, but nobody noticed it on account of the coffee mug stain left over from lunch. The plugs? Ahh that was a much earlier question for me, and once again my deductive powers of reasoning, figured out that they did really want to form holes in the plenum to allow access to them, but the decision was vetoed by the chief engineer at the last minute, who normally worked on his own in a vacuum (or on a vacuum, not sure, hoover I think). The conclusion I came to about all those things was, it had nothing to do with engineering excellence per se and everything to do with it being 5 O'clock on a Friday, and the bell had went

It's obvious though that they have excellent engineers at their disposal. Who else could have got that damned engine so close to the inner wing, without it actually touching it every corner you go around. And it really was pure genius, on their part, to make that the same side needing a timing belt, idlers and water pump maintenance. Then there's the amount of extremely well designed rubber components in the suspension system to contend with, every 6 months (or so it feels like).

However, the statistics show and not many people know this, the final stroke of genius by the engineering team, was the parallel race wheel bearings. Obviously if they are all parallel, the car must go in a straight line, and not pull right, right? Amazing clarity of vision on their part, the team must have received accolades, had whole parts departments named after them etc etc

I could go on, but my wallet is still hurting from putting a new windscreen in today
rckstein and bennyc like this.

Last edited by SpannerHound; 15 Jun 2016 at 02:41 am.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jun 2016, 05:38 am
rckstein's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,518
Default Re: Pt cruiser won't stay running

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpannerHound View Post
Not to derail the thread, but...

I asked myself the very same question recently, in relation to the 4 wing bolts that are held in place by a strip of chewing gum? Which then hold the front bumper fascia on. Cunningly placed, I noticed, where hacksaws don't fit. I thought, at first, it must have been because their CAD resolution was greater than my own, then I realised that it was actually because their scale drawing was off by an inch or two, but nobody noticed it on account of the coffee mug stain left over from lunch. The plugs? Ahh that was a much earlier question for me, and once again my deductive powers of reasoning, figured out that they did really want to form holes in the plenum to allow access to them, but the decision was vetoed by the chief engineer at the last minute, who normally worked on his own in a vacuum (or on a vacuum, not sure, hoover I think). The conclusion I came to about all those things was, it had nothing to do with engineering excellence per se and everything to do with it being 5 O'clock on a Friday, and the bell had went

It's obvious though that they have excellent engineers at their disposal. Who else could have got that damned engine so close to the inner wing, without it actually touching it every corner you go around. And it really was pure genius, on their part, to make that the same side needing a timing belt, idlers and water pump maintenance. Then there's the amount of extremely well designed rubber components in the suspension system to contend with, every 6 months (or so it feels like).

However, the statistics show and not many people know this, the final stroke of genius by the engineering team, was the parallel race wheel bearings. Obviously if they are all parallel, the car must go in a straight line, and not pull right, right? Amazing clarity of vision on their part, the team must have received accolades, had whole parts departments named after them etc etc

I could go on, but my wallet is still hurting from putting a new windscreen in today
Must have been the same high-school level engineer that designed the coil and cam sensor connectors to be identical, and therefore easily confused

Add these to "oddities of the PT" category
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 05 Aug 2016, 11:20 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 14
Default Re: Pt cruiser won't stay running

It was the head gasket water was leaking in there and that's what was killing it.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replaced Head Gasket and wont stay running. Bearsonfire Tech & Performance Forum 6 02 May 2016 04:24 pm
2005 wont stay running hiitsme General PT Cruiser Discussions 13 29 Mar 2016 07:07 pm
New coil now the PT won't stay running 1986b2000 General PT Cruiser Discussions 4 24 Dec 2015 06:43 pm
2001 PT Cruiser won't stay on Nettenew Northeast PT Forum 1 08 Sep 2013 07:05 pm
03 GT Cruiser wont stay running. 03GTCruiser Tech & Performance Forum 2 23 Feb 2010 12:14 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors