PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pt cruiser won't stay running

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jun 2016, 06:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Pt cruiser won't stay running

Pull your spark plugs and post a picture of them. Since you have the N/A engine, just pull the ones you can get to without removing the intake. I'd like to see what the hell they look like.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 14 Jun 2016, 08:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Pull your spark plugs and post a picture of them. Since you have the N/A engine, just pull the ones you can get to without removing the intake. I'd like to see what the hell they look like.

You can't pull out any plugs on the N/A without removing the intake.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 14 Jun 2016, 09:08 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
You can't pull out any plugs on the N/A without removing the intake.
You should be able to get to 1 and 4 without pulling the intake, a tech at a dealership swapped those plugs on my PT when he was troubleshooting a misfire issue, that ended up being a bad after-market coil.

Last edited by rckstein; 14 Jun 2016 at 12:05 pm.
Old 14 Jun 2016, 09:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking the wire harness from the crankshaft sensor to the PCM. On the 2001 PT Cruisers its very common for the wire harness to break from a clip holding up the wire harness to the engine block and drop down to the half shaft rubbing through the wires, shorting the wires to ground.
chuzz likes this.
Old 14 Jun 2016, 04:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good idea, Steve. But you CAN remove #1 and #4. It's 2 and 3 that are a witch to get to. Someday I'd like to punch an engineer in the nose.

Old 14 Jun 2016, 04:23 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Good idea, Steve. But you CAN remove #1 and #4. It's 2 and 3 that are a witch to get to. Someday I'd like to punch an engineer in the nose.
If the plugs on a turbo can be replaced without removing the upper plenum, then obviously a plenum can be designed to allow for that. So why does the N/A plenum have to be different, why can't it be designed to allow for access to all the plugs
chuzz likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 14 Jun 2016 at 04:32 pm.
Old 14 Jun 2016, 10:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good question. I'm just happy that I have the turbo engine! Not just for that reason, but it sure helps.
rckstein likes this.

Old 15 Jun 2016, 02:38 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: Pt cruiser won't stay running

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
So why does the N/A plenum have to be different, why can't it be designed to allow for access to all the plugs

Not to derail the thread, but...

I asked myself the very same question recently, in relation to the 4 wing bolts that are held in place by a strip of chewing gum? Which then hold the front bumper fascia on. Cunningly placed, I noticed, where hacksaws don't fit. I thought, at first, it must have been because their CAD resolution was greater than my own, then I realised that it was actually because their scale drawing was off by an inch or two, but nobody noticed it on account of the coffee mug stain left over from lunch. The plugs? Ahh that was a much earlier question for me, and once again my deductive powers of reasoning, figured out that they did really want to form holes in the plenum to allow access to them, but the decision was vetoed by the chief engineer at the last minute, who normally worked on his own in a vacuum (or on a vacuum, not sure, hoover I think). The conclusion I came to about all those things was, it had nothing to do with engineering excellence per se and everything to do with it being 5 O'clock on a Friday, and the bell had went

It's obvious though that they have excellent engineers at their disposal. Who else could have got that damned engine so close to the inner wing, without it actually touching it every corner you go around. And it really was pure genius, on their part, to make that the same side needing a timing belt, idlers and water pump maintenance. Then there's the amount of extremely well designed rubber components in the suspension system to contend with, every 6 months (or so it feels like).

However, the statistics show and not many people know this, the final stroke of genius by the engineering team, was the parallel race wheel bearings. Obviously if they are all parallel, the car must go in a straight line, and not pull right, right? Amazing clarity of vision on their part, the team must have received accolades, had whole parts departments named after them etc etc

I could go on, but my wallet is still hurting from putting a new windscreen in today
rckstein and bennyc like this.

Last edited by SpannerHound; 15 Jun 2016 at 02:41 am.
Old 15 Jun 2016, 05:38 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpannerHound View Post
Not to derail the thread, but...

I asked myself the very same question recently, in relation to the 4 wing bolts that are held in place by a strip of chewing gum? Which then hold the front bumper fascia on. Cunningly placed, I noticed, where hacksaws don't fit. I thought, at first, it must have been because their CAD resolution was greater than my own, then I realised that it was actually because their scale drawing was off by an inch or two, but nobody noticed it on account of the coffee mug stain left over from lunch. The plugs? Ahh that was a much earlier question for me, and once again my deductive powers of reasoning, figured out that they did really want to form holes in the plenum to allow access to them, but the decision was vetoed by the chief engineer at the last minute, who normally worked on his own in a vacuum (or on a vacuum, not sure, hoover I think). The conclusion I came to about all those things was, it had nothing to do with engineering excellence per se and everything to do with it being 5 O'clock on a Friday, and the bell had went

It's obvious though that they have excellent engineers at their disposal. Who else could have got that damned engine so close to the inner wing, without it actually touching it every corner you go around. And it really was pure genius, on their part, to make that the same side needing a timing belt, idlers and water pump maintenance. Then there's the amount of extremely well designed rubber components in the suspension system to contend with, every 6 months (or so it feels like).

However, the statistics show and not many people know this, the final stroke of genius by the engineering team, was the parallel race wheel bearings. Obviously if they are all parallel, the car must go in a straight line, and not pull right, right? Amazing clarity of vision on their part, the team must have received accolades, had whole parts departments named after them etc etc

I could go on, but my wallet is still hurting from putting a new windscreen in today
Must have been the same high-school level engineer that designed the coil and cam sensor connectors to be identical, and therefore easily confused

Add these to "oddities of the PT" category
Old 05 Aug 2016, 11:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

It was the head gasket water was leaking in there and that's what was killing it.