PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
More Codes!!!!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jun 2016, 07:24 am
Banned

Default More Codes!!!!

Just replaced the PCM 3 weeks ago with a brand new one. Car has been running amazing until today. On the way to work (at speed on highway) the car began to run rough, the check engine light started flashing and the oil light lit up. eventually the car shut off but shortly after cranked it up and made it to work. The car ran fine after the restart. I got codes 0032, 0038, 0300 and 0508. This car is on its third PCM and this one is brand new. From what I have read, all articles state that its a bad ground or PCM. I'm really hoping its the ground! This is my girlfriends car and I'm out of town till Saturday. Will she be ok to drive it until I can get home to fix the issue?!?
Old 08 Jun 2016, 07:53 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: More Codes!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fendermusicg View Post
Just replaced the PCM 3 weeks ago with a brand new one. Car has been running amazing until today. On the way to work (at speed on highway) the car began to run rough, the check engine light started flashing and the oil light lit up. eventually the car shut off but shortly after cranked it up and made it to work. The car ran fine after the restart. I got codes 0032, 0038, 0300 and 0508. This car is on its third PCM and this one is brand new. From what I have read, all articles state that its a bad ground or PCM. I'm really hoping its the ground! This is my girlfriends car and I'm out of town till Saturday. Will she be ok to drive it until I can get home to fix the issue?!?
If you are on your 3rd PCM, it probably isn't the PCM. Or more correctly, if it is the PCM there is something making them go out. Find the underlying cause. My first check would be voltage problems. Maybe spiking is causing the PCM to blow out? Who installed the PCM? I know they were supposed to be a bit finicky about procedures, but I know people that change them weekly.

I am a little worried about the fact that you state "the car shut off" That usually is a very bad thing, and the fact that you "made it work" also concerns me because with the CEL flashing and the oil light on I would hope you did some basic checks (oil/coolant/etc) before you continued.

I don't think anybody could tell you it is ok to drive over the internet. If the CEL is flashing, then no. P0300 is a generic misfire. That might be nothing more than a symptom of the rest of the problems. P0508 is IAC voltage (so another electrical problem) but I don't think it means the IAC is a problem so much as that it isn't sensing something it should be when the car was running. P0032 and P0038 are O2 sensor codes and both seem to indicate high voltage through the heater circuit. I don't think that means the 02 sensors are bad, but it may be another clue as to where to look.

I have, knock wood, never had problems with my PT charging system beyond my chirping belt. I know people with other cars that had diodes to limit current or whatever is certain circumstances. When those went out things would see too much voltage and strange and evil things would happen. Not sure if that is a possibility with the PT.
SpannerHound likes this.
Old 08 Jun 2016, 08:06 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: More Codes!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fendermusicg View Post
Will she be ok to drive it until I can get home to fix the issue?!?
Most likely dodgy wiring, but the misfire code would give me pause for thought when it comes to driving it, especially on a highway

The IAC can cause a few problems too. Be methodical and check every circuit going from the engine back to the PCM. Check everything, from the connector at the sensors all the way back. Look for signs of corrosion. You will want to pull at and flex the wiring while testing for continuity, to ensure it's not a broken wire. Once you rule that out, assuming that you don't find a wiring issue, you will need to perform proper voltage tests to rule out sensors etc.
Old 08 Jun 2016, 08:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

We changed a PT Cruiser with 3 failed rebuilt PCMs from different sources. One I used was a recommend to get on this forum. Currently now waiting approval from the owner to get a Chrysler rebuilt PCM that we know will work and if it doesn't at least it is a simple exchange.

So you ask how we know it was bad PCMs? We removed the PCM from a well running PT, VIN flashed it with the customers PT and the fired right up no problems or unexpected DTC's!

The down side to a Chrysler rebuilt is the cost. They are almost twice to 3 times the amount comparing ECU/PCM re-builders.

A IAC effects only the IDLE speed.(IAC= Idle Air Control) In fact you can disconnect it and the PT will still start and run. You will get a DTC and it will IDLE badly, but once off IDLE you would never know it was disconnected. The DTC P0508 is most likely a dirty IAC effected by the fueling and or timing that the other ignition codes were generated from? Naturally more Scan Tool Diagnostics in the OBDII connector is needed for better answers.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 08 Jun 2016 at 08:39 am.
Old 08 Jun 2016, 09:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

P0508 - Idle Air Control Motor Sense Circuit Low Input Conditions:

Possible Causes:

1. Idle Air Control motor driver circuit is open or shorted to ground
2. Idle Air Control motor sense circuit is open or shorted to ground
3. Idle Air Control motor is damaged or it has failed
4. PCM has failed

I would suggest resetting the DTC's and see if the P0508 comes back.
NitroPT likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 08 Jun 2016 at 09:48 am.
Old 08 Jun 2016, 10:12 am
Banned

Thanks for the info guys! Just to clear it up, she has plenty of fluids and when she restarted the car the oil light went away and then proceeded to work without any problems other than the check engine light. I'm in Florida till Saturday and she is in Atlanta so I will not be able to diagnose anything until then. Can anyone tell me where I will be able to find the Idle Air Control Motor? Also, if the IAC only regulates during idle why would it have given the car problems while at 75 mph?
Old 08 Jun 2016, 10:20 am
Senior Cruiser

This isn't really PT specific, but:

Quote:
Possible causes

- Faulty Idle Air Control (IAC) motor
- Idle Air Control (IAC) motor harness is open or shorted
- Idle Air Control (IAC) motor circuit poor electrical connection

What does this mean? What does this mean?

When is the code detected?

The PCM senses a short to ground or battery voltage on any of the control circuits for 2.75 seconds while the IAC motor is active.

Possible symptoms

- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Engine hard to start
- Rough or erratic idle speed

Read more: P0508 Dodge Idle Air Control Valve Sense Circuit Low OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com
It probably indicates a voltage problem going to the IAC. This might mean a wiring problem or a PCM problem. In your case, those are the two most likely culprits, IMO. I would not expect the IAC to make much difference because as Nitro points out, it doesn't have too much to do with off idle performance. I would look to it as a place to start checking wiring.
Old 08 Jun 2016, 10:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Most common IAC issues we/I have had including but not limited to ,low MPG,poor idle quality, drivability issues, DTC reoccurring having to do with ignition or IAC, usually because of connector continuity at the IAC and /or IAC that is dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty. Clean and or replace reset DTCs.

I keep one on hand all the time now!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 15 Jun 2016, 02:50 pm
Banned

Thanks for the help guys! I replaced the IAC on yesterday and she ran great until today. 64 miles after I cleared the codes the check engine light came on and she started to loose power when pressing the gas pedal. I have codes 0032 and 0038. What causes a heater circuit to have too much voltage?
Old 15 Jun 2016, 03:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Are there fuses for these sensors? If so, i'd check them.