PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'03 Classic Electrical Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jun 2016, 05:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default '03 Classic Electrical Problem

Hi guys,

I have an '03 Classic that keeps draining the battery... yesterday it was within minutes while I ducked into the shop. The radio has issues where sometimes it still has power when I take the key out but then sometimes when I am driving it has no power, so I am assuming it's linked to that. I had read on some of the other forums about a multi-function switch... could this be the problem or something different? I also found after I bought the car that it has damage to the dash (possibly from hitting a kangaroo), but the issue didn't start until a few months after I bought it so I'm not sure if that's the problem or not.

Any help solving this would be greatly appreciated, as it gets a bit annoying carrying around a battery and jumper leads
Old 10 Jun 2016, 08:52 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: '03 Classic Electrical Problem

The multi-function switch issue is related to the fog/driving lights getting stuck in the on position and draining the battery.

I'm trying to imagine how a roo could damage the dashboard in such a way to affect the electrics, even if it came through the window, I still don't see how the wiring was affected, unless the dash was so badly bent up that it stretched something going across it.

I'm thinking the radio and possibly your battery draining issue is related to your ignition switch. How good is your battery? If it's barely hanging on it won't take much to drain it below being able to crank the engine
Old 10 Jun 2016, 09:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: '03 Classic Electrical Problem

Welcome to the forum

I would suggest taking a voltmeter and find out where the current is draining your battery. Take out one fuse at a time until you find the circuit that is draining the battery. Post which circuit it is.

How to Find a Parasitic Battery Drain: 9 Steps
Old 11 Jun 2016, 10:46 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: '03 Classic Electrical Problem

I had the same prob. before replacing ign. switch. (among others, like the fans and some dash lights acting wonky)
Jiggled the key hard while it was running and voila, everything straightened out.