PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
self applying brakes cut to the chase in italacs

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jun 2016, 08:57 pm
Young Cruiser

Default self applying brakes cut to the chase in italacs

Guys I thought I had my car sold today but when the guy drove off he made it about 20 miles before bringing it back.....the brakes were burning up.

It's the furthest the car has driven since I had the headgasket done last year.

I let it cool, the brakes returned to normal so I let it idle for 20 minutes or so and tried to replicate the problem. Got away from the house (not as far and never hitting the brakes) and the brakes started tightening again. Made it home as they started to smoke......400 degrees according to the infrared.

Only other time I've ever seen this was a wrong part number of a new booster that slowly tightened the pressure on the brake lines (wrong diaphragm inside)HOWEVER when looking at vacuum hoses one has me perplexed.

There is a line that was rigged to a aftermarket elbow @ the end of the intake right before the turbo. (I've looked at pics of N/A engines and it goes in right on top before the Thr. Body) It leads back to a vacuum header. If this is correct.....what does it supply to the header? Not vacuum that I can tell and since this ties into the booster vacuum is it possible a check vlv. has failed?
I'm at a loss here and before I tear apart brakes on a car I'm virtually giving away I'd like to know if the mech. screwed up the vacuum lines
Old 11 Jun 2016, 09:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: self applying brakes cut to the chase in italacs

Sounds like one or more brake calipers are shot, not allowing piston to retract. Friction from the brakes causes heat, which expands the brake fluid, pushing the pistons more, as the brakes drag, they heat up more, heating the brake fluid more - eventually the brakes will lock.
When the brakes cool off, brakes will be fine - for a while....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Jun 2016, 10:32 pm
Young Cruiser

And I agree....but really....what is that 3/8 hose for that goes from intake tube (air box on diagram) to vacuum header do?
there is a check valve in between the booster and the vacuum header that this ties into.

There was a thread I saw in search where someone asked "Can my brakes be applied under boost? he was dismissed but if pressure built up on the diaphragm instead of vacuum? I'm wondering if letting off the accelerator bleeds some boost pressure into that line. (provided the diaphragm in the turbo is bad, that is) I don't think I have proper boost has me wondering about this routing.

I took off calipers.....pistons sure don't seem stuck. I put a 1x between pads and can wok them fine back and forth.
I'd hate throwing parts at a prob.
Old 12 Jun 2016, 05:09 am
Senior Cruiser

Sometimes the flex hose going to the caliper start to break down on the in side. A piece of the hose that flakes off is pushed through the small hole in the end fitting
but is not able to pass back through releasing the pressure immediately as it should.
The small hole on the inside gets blocked , This will cause the brake to drag getting hot. After it cools it seems to work normal.

Jack up the car and have someone step on the brake while you spin the wheel by hand and see if it releases when pressure is released from the pedal.
quicksilverdon and chuzz like this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 12 Jun 2016 at 08:23 am.
Old 12 Jun 2016, 08:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Was more than one brake hot? Doubtful more than one caliper would go bad at same time - unless car sat for a long time.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Jun 2016, 11:26 am
Young Cruiser

car has been sitting a lot. Just going to the store once in a while. Both front brakes at same time.
Rear brakes according to infrared were normal 175 degrees and warm to touch after driving.

No one knows what that hose is supposed to supply?
I'm really just curious now as to why it seems to be atmosphere going into vacuum.
I'm going through calipers now.

Last edited by crusofthebisquit; 12 Jun 2016 at 11:29 am.
Old 12 Jun 2016, 12:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Any way you can post a picture of the hose you're referring to?And what the hell year PT do you have anyway? I have an 03 GT and will be happy to look at the vacuum lines for a comparison. Post a pic, all right?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 12 Jun 2016, 02:45 pm
Young Cruiser

I can't get pics out of my phone (not smart phone)so I'm stealing this one from a previous poster having a similar problem.
Mine was ran to the elbow right off the turbo. See how it goes back to the header though? And lots of these vacuum lines are similar colored yet could fit at both sides of objects....like the turbo WG BOV or whatever that is off the housing.
I'm losing tracing them at the firewall. All I can do is pull two ends and blow to find if going right. So far so good.
I just don't follow what this thing is supposed to do for the operation of all this.
Not really thinking anymore of it applying brakes but making sure the mech. did it correctly. I don't find anything hinky with calipers though. Maybe some rust, that's about it.
Bled them some but don't want to take a chance messing up ABS by removing if I don't have to.4.jpg
Old 12 Jun 2016, 06:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

That's not right, man. THAT hose should go underneath, near the firewall. There's a small vacuum hose from the firewall that's supposed to be attached to the hose there.. The large hose you have attached there actually attaches to a Y type connector down near the exhaust flange on mine. Do a search here for a vacuum routing guide if you don't have one on your car. I posted a pic of mine a couple of weeks ago for a female member from Hawaii. Do a search for vacuum routing guide and you'll probably see it. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow if it's not raining. Maybe I can catch it between showers.

Old 12 Jun 2016, 06:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Chris, check out this thread for the correct vacuum hose routing guide.
"I idle eyes my PT but not when it is high". Type that in the search box. Golf Girl was the OP.