Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 1 Post By siddharta1979

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jun 2016, 02:37 pm
Young Cruiser

Default 0304 Misfire Detection - Talk to me like I'm 5

Hi all,

I know nothing about engines. I've had my PT Cruiser for 3 years, with its ups and downs, but over all I can't complain.
Lately I'm having some issues with the infamous 0304 code that keeps coming back.
I had mechanic putting in brand new spark plugs, since they were old, but after 250 miles the code came back. What now?
General situation: 2004 PT Cruiser, stick shift, no turbo, 139.000 miles. I have an oil leak from the head gasket (if I recall correctly) which I haven't fixed to save money, but I check oil levels regularly and top it off as needed.
Sparks are brand new. Since 3-4 days car seems to have issues to start in the morning, and only the first time (never had this issue, not even when it was very cold). Idle seems rough on start-on, and at times when at a stop light.
On advice of the mechanic I'm using Shell V-Power and an injector cleaner. Idle seems smoother once I fill the tank and add the cleaner.
I never experienced a rough ride so far, only when idle.
If I clear the code, sometimes it comes back after 10 miles, sometimes after 300.
What would you recommend? Thanks!
Old 14 Jun 2016, 03:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 0304 Misfire Detection - Talk to me like I'm 5

When was the last time the spark plug wires were replaced?

Did you check the PCV hose for vacuum leaks?

Has the head been off of the PT Cruiser yet? If not I would suggest getting an engine compression check done on all cylinders if everything else is working properly.
VsandFords likes this.
Old 14 Jun 2016, 03:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

What spark plugs did he put in? Copper core Champions are the recommended plug for a reason. Find out what they are and INSIST that they be replaced with the OEM plug type. New wires probably won't hurt either. I don't know the # of the correct plugs for you, but someone here WILL be able to tell you. And you might have someone clean the IAC valve and throttle body while they're at it.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 14 Jun 2016, 03:49 pm
Young Cruiser

1) I know the previous owner had a misfire problem around 80k miles, but I don't know if wires were replaced. I'll try to look for the paperwork, unfortunately I'm moving so it might be in a box.
2) I'll ask the mechanic
3) I don't think so, but again, I'll ask the mechanic.

Thanks for the insight!
Old 14 Jun 2016, 03:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
What spark plugs did he put in? Copper core Champions are the recommended plug for a reason. Find out what they are and INSIST that they be replaced with the OEM plug type. New wires probably won't hurt either. I don't know the # of the correct plugs for you, but someone here WILL be able to tell you. And you might have someone clean the IAC valve and throttle body while they're at it.
Great, thanks I'll let him now.
Old 16 Jun 2016, 11:55 am
Young Cruiser

I spoke to the mechanic; he thinks it's a lean misfire and nothing to worry too much about.
The light does not come back right on after I clear the code. Since I filled the tank and added a cleaner the idle is not rough anymore.
As of now I think I'll keep riding it, then we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
When was the last time the spark plug wires were replaced?

Did you check the PCV hose for vacuum leaks?

Has the head been off of the PT Cruiser yet? If not I would suggest getting an engine compression check done on all cylinders if everything else is working properly.
chuzz likes this.