PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Hard to Start But Runs Fine

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jun 2016, 09:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Hard to Start But Runs Fine

Have a 2001 non turbo with 140k. Had problems with it starting. When cold had to turn over multiple time like it was not not getting gas. After it starts it runs great. Changed plugs, wires, coil, new gaskets in intake also. Runs great, shut it off wait 30 seconds and it fires right up again, but if it sits for 10 or so minutes it wont start like it is not getting enough gas to start. Will start right up with a squirt of starting fluid. Again runs awesome, so it is getting fuel, just not enough at start up. Is this a fuel regulator, relay, pump or sensor issue. Thanks for your help.
Old 20 Jun 2016, 12:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Hard to Start But Runs Fine

I would suggest checking the fuel pressure. You should be getting 58 +/- 5 PSI.

If the fuel pressure is good I would suggest a fuel pressure leak down test.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 20 Jun 2016 at 01:00 am.
Old 20 Jun 2016, 05:35 am
Senior Cruiser

Try cycling the key a few times and pausing between on. This may bring the fuel pressure up and less cranking.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 20 Jun 2016, 07:17 am
Veteran Cruiser

Does it crank normally and just take a while to start, or is it slow cranking when this happens? If it's slow to crank, you need to clean your battery posts and clamps, check the cables for corrosion and check all of your grounds. Also check the wires at the starter for good clean connections. If that's all good, then I agree that it sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Have you ever run any fuel injector cleaner through the tank? Techron is highly recommended. It's what I use too.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 20 Jun 2016, 07:49 am
Senior Cruiser

I hate to mention this but, you might want to do a compression test.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 20 Jun 2016, 07:56 am
Senior Cruiser

The suggestions provided seem on the money. Since it starts easily when hot, but not after a brief sit, I would lean towards the fuel pressure bleeding off. I would be concerned with leaks. I'm not sure exactly how these work (knock wood, not a problem for me yet) but it sounds like the pressure is leaking down and it takes time to get back to where it needs to be. Sometimes there is just a check valve at the pump that starts releasing the pressure back to the tank. That shouldn't be a big problem. Other times it is a leak. I consider that a big problem. Other potential issues could be the pressure going elsewhere, like the EVAP stuff.

JoeX's suggestion is a great starting point. Before you start the car, turn it to run and listen for the pump to pressurize. Do that three or more times before you try to start it. Did it start easier? If so, you have probably found your problem.

Chuzz' suggestions about the battery and cables can't hurt and that would be next most likely IMO. The only reason that I lean against the battery is that you say it restarts easily. My general experience has been that warm cars don't necessarily start easily with bad batteries, but on my PT when the battery was going out, there were times when it would be tough (or not start) in the morning, but I could drive it to the supermarket and it would crank right over and take me home full of groceries. My battery wasn't holding the charge well, but losing it in 10 minutes is pretty extreme.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 01:59 am
Cool Cruiser

Misposted

Last edited by PTloser32805; 29 Aug 2017 at 02:20 am.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 06:30 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequadx View Post
Have a 2001 non turbo with 140k. Had problems with it starting. When cold had to turn over multiple time like it was not not getting gas. After it starts it runs great. Changed plugs, wires, coil, new gaskets in intake also. Runs great, shut it off wait 30 seconds and it fires right up again, but if it sits for 10 or so minutes it wont start like it is not getting enough gas to start. Will start right up with a squirt of starting fluid. Again runs awesome, so it is getting fuel, just not enough at start up. Is this a fuel regulator, relay, pump or sensor issue. Thanks for your help.

I had similar and it was the Air Idle Control valve. Might be worth swapping it out with a known good one and seeing what happens. If it is that, don't be tempted by the cheap Chinese ones on Fleabay - you'll be wasting your time and money.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 07:09 am
Veteran Cruiser

Hey Sinbad, did you notice that post is over a year old and the OP never came back?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 07:44 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Nope

I have the "new Posts" page Bookmarked and it popped up on there. Curious... but never mind