Advertisements
Extended Warranty ?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fk5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jun 2016, 09:44 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Extended Warranty ?

The car is getting older with 68K miles (like me), and the org. warranty is way gone. I'm tired of paying out of pocket for repairs, and since I know I'm looking ahead for possible costly repairs, I thought I would check into a 'Extended Warranty'. What Company do you have/trust ? Thanks.
Old 20 Jun 2016, 11:01 am
Banned

Default Re: Extended Warranty ?

How ironic, when I clicked on this thread, an ad box popped up for Warranty Direct! That was the extended warranty that I had on my PT. It was for 5 years/100,000 miles, which expired several years ago when my PT reached the 100,000 mile limit. I originally paid $2409 for the warranty and during the coverage period, they paid out $7057 in covered repairs on my PT. So they lost money on me because I recovered the amount that I paid for the warranty and an additional $4648 in repairs!

When my warranty was about to expire, I could have extended it but Warranty Direct wanted more than what I had paid for the first warranty, but it was going to cover less items, so I did not purchase another one.

When shopping for an extended warranty, the better ones are those that list what is excluded, rather than what is included, and hopefully the excluded list is short. On the inclusion warranties, if the item is not specifically included, then it is automatically excluded.

I don't remember the name of their plan that I had, they seemed to have changed names now. But it was their ultimate plan that basically continued the manufacturer bumper-to-bumper warranty, with airbag electronics protection and they were offering a zero deductible, so I never had to pay anything out of my pocket.

I did learn something during the coverage period and a problem with Meineke doing some repairs on my PT. When you file a claim for a covered repair, you can view the claim on your Warranty Direct account. Meineke was doing some repairs on my PT and when a claim is reported, then Warranty Direct will list those parts on your claim. However, even though Warranty Direct may list a partucilar OEM part and pay that shop to purchase and replace that part, apparently under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, nobody can specify that a particular part be used and the shop can, at their whim and discretion, may install an alternate part that may be lesser in grade, quality and price. In my opinion, what this means for the shop is that Warranty Direct may pay for the higher priced OEM parts and the shop can install less-expensive parts, and the shop pockets the difference, and does not pass on any parts saving to the customer, or better yet, Warranty Direct who is paying the bill. All the contract says is that the shop must install parts that either meet or exceed manufacturers specifications. I had a lawsuit against Meineke for parts switching, and I lost that lawsuit. I maintained during the trial that Meineke could not even prove to me, or the court, where the parts came from that they installed on my PT, nor did those parts meet or exceed manufacturers specifications. Failure to release where they got the parts from was argued as "proprietary and trade information" and the court said that Meineke didn't have to provide that information. So even though some fraud may have been involved, it wasn't me that was defrauded because I didn't pay the bill, that's why I lost my lawsuit.

But good luck on your search for an extended warranty, you just have to read all the fine print because many companies may have a lot of exclusions and what you think may be covered, actually may not be.

Last edited by rckstein; 20 Jun 2016 at 11:05 am.
Old 20 Jun 2016, 12:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Targeted advertising is not ironic.
Old 20 Jun 2016, 12:36 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Targeted advertising is not ironic.
So it picked it up based on the title of this thread?

Did you get the same ad box, when you clicked on this thread? Just to the left of the thread title.

Last edited by rckstein; 20 Jun 2016 at 12:38 pm.
Old 20 Jun 2016, 12:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
So it picked it up based on the title of this thread?

Did you get the same ad box, when you clicked on this thread? Just to the left of the thread title.
I have it now, but I initially had one trying to sell me baseball tickets. Probably because I had just looked up Yankee tix not too long ago.
rckstein likes this.
Old 20 Jun 2016, 12:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
When shopping for an extended warranty, the better ones are those that list what is excluded, rather than what is included,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is probably the most important aspect of and extend warranty plans. I also suggest a detailed phone conversation with a prepared list of question before you make a choice of carrier.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 20 Jun 2016, 01:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is probably the most important aspect of and extend warranty plans. I also suggest a detailed phone conversation with a prepared list of question before you make a choice of carrier.
A detailed conversation is a good idea, but never rely on something you are told over the telephone without written verification. I would suggest that after the telephone conversation you send an email memorializing the conversation as you understood it and requesting that they correct any item mistaken impression you might have.

Too many times people are promised the world and then find out what they were told does not coincide with the policy or reality. Sometimes it is unscrupulous salespeople, but more often it is simply a language barrier or a misunderstanding of what was said.
Old 20 Jun 2016, 02:57 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
A detailed conversation is a good idea, but never rely on something you are told over the telephone without written verification. I would suggest that after the telephone conversation you send an email memorializing the conversation as you understood it and requesting that they correct any item mistaken impression you might have.

Too many times people are promised the world and then find out what they were told does not coincide with the policy or reality. Sometimes it is unscrupulous salespeople, but more often it is simply a language barrier or a misunderstanding of what was said.
Regardless what is said to entice someone to purchase an extended warranty, in the end, the only thing that matters and will prevail is what is stated in the contract.
Old 20 Jun 2016, 05:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Depending on your year model, are the original owner and remembered your 5 year insp, you may still have the lifetime warranty.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 08:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by red98gt View Post
The car is getting older with 68K miles (like me), and the org. warranty is way gone. I'm tired of paying out of pocket for repairs, and since I know I'm looking ahead for possible costly repairs, I thought I would check into a 'Extended Warranty'. What Company do you have/trust ? Thanks.
If you or a family member or a cousin is, or was, in the US Military, you can ask for a quote from USAA -- for cars, their warranty supplier is the highly-rated Assurant Solutions. I bought their 3 years/36,000 miles comprehensive bumper-to-bumper coverage plan for the 2008 turbo back in 2013 for $1,400. Probably saved me a bit of money when the control arm bushings, radiator and fan assembly and engine mounts all needed to be replaced -- they paid for everything, no deductible. (Not all at once, of course!)
Black base 2006 NA, dented front bumper, scratched rear bumper. 2008 Touring, one of 385 red Turbos built in 2008. Limited grill, body-colored mirrors, grab handle deleted, dual-tone horn, shorty antenna.