PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Adding oil?

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2016, 02:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Adding oil?

Is anyone else adding oil between changes? I have no leaks of any kind, I have looked the entire engine over from top to bottom and no oil anywhere. Car does not smoke at alI. I changed oil recently and there was only about 4 quarts that drained out. I replaced the filter and added Mobil1 high mileage. After about 400 miles I had to add about a quarter to a half a bottle. I have a GT turbo but this seems excessive.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 02:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Adding oil?

it may not be smoking but it could still be burning oil in small amounts some have said the PT used a quart between changes when I was driving mine 200 miles a day and changing it monthly it was never more than 1/2 different than when I filled it and I usually ran 75-80 for 200 miles a day I never needed to add oil

it could also be a pressure leak where it will spray oil down the roan at a high RMP either way I wouldn't worry if its not more than that
Old 21 Jun 2016, 05:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 01:20 pm.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 05:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

My 03 GT uses about a half quart between oil changes. I change my oil every 5,000 miles (or thereabouts).

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 22 Jun 2016, 09:41 am
Cool Cruiser

My 06 PT uses about 1 quart every 800 - 1200 miles. I Just live with it and have read those articles about new PT using same. The car has over 100,000 miles on it and runs great.

Mike
Old 22 Jun 2016, 09:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If *any engine used a quart of oil after only 400 miles you really need to look at the engine again. That much oil consumption is either a leak or you are burning it!

*referring to a 1.6 or 2.4 Chrysler PT Cruiser engine in this thread and forum.

I know you all will hate me...I use less then 30cc of **accountable/unaccountable oil between oil between 3-5k oil changes.

**accountable is the estimated oil pulled through the PCV system. Unaccountable is the small engine oil seepage/leaks that are everywhere.
ptprice and chuzz like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 22 Jun 2016 at 09:58 am.
Old 22 Jun 2016, 10:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
If *any engine used a quart of oil after only 400 miles you really need to look at the engine again. That much oil consumption is either a leak or you are burning it!

*referring to a 1.6 or 2.4 Chrysler PT Cruiser engine in this thread and forum.

I know you all will hate me...I use less then 30cc of **accountable/unaccountable oil between oil between 3-5k oil changes.

**accountable is the estimated oil pulled through the PCV system. Unaccountable is the small engine oil seepage/leaks that are everywhere.

After about 400 miles I had to add about a quarter to a half a bottle. I have a GT turbo

This could only be 1 quart per 1600 miles or it could be 1 quart ever 800 miles either way itsa little more than most

Like I said I never add oil I change it ever 4000-4500 miles use Castrol GTX and a wix filter every other month I add a bottle of Lucas oil stabilizer and the next month its a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil
Ijust never checked it never worried about it now has almost 200,000 and still runs up and down the highway with no issues
Old 22 Jun 2016, 10:40 am
Senior Cruiser

Question to the OP. Do you check it regularly? Many times after an oil change it takes some cycles to get a true reading. Right after a change I check it after the first couple of times I have it out.
Old 22 Jun 2016, 11:28 am
Cool Cruiser

I check the oil all the time. I had an 06 GT previously and it didn't use any oil, that's why I'm concerned. What I'm getting from this discussion so far is, if I go on an extended trip ( i.e. 1000 mi.) take a couple of bottles of oil? Just doesn't seem normal.
Old 22 Jun 2016, 01:01 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

SOOO BIG was using oil nearly at the level you described. I did a dollar bill "flutter" test holding it lightly just at the open oil fill port in the valve cover while the engine was running. The dollar fluttered out convincing me the PCV valve was not properly venting the crankcase thus creating excess crankcase pressure to push oil past the rings burning off oil that had to be replaced.

I installed a new $5.00 PCV valve, did a recheck "flutter" test with a dollar bill which then fluttered into the oil fill port indicating I then was getting proper crankcase venting. Now SOOO BIG uses appreciably no oil between changes as NitroPT indicates is the norm. Good luck.

If you'd like that special oil stained test dollar bill I can let you have it for $10 including shipping.

Happy Ptin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 22 Jun 2016 at 01:02 pm. Reason: addition for the fun of it!