Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Do I need a new clutch?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jun 2016, 10:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Do I need a new clutch?

Hi, just wondering if I need a new clutch, or there is some other issue going on with my 2002 Pt Cruiser Limited Edition.

One time I was letting my GF at the time drive my PT cruiser, and we were going up a pretty steep hill. The RPM's started climbing real high but the car started slowing down. I immediately told her to let go of the clutch, But she said she was off the clutch so I told her to push it! Then the car came to a stop and she went back to first and started going again. After that she could not get it in second. so I told her to try third and it worked. When it was safe I told her to pull over and let me drive. When getting out of my car, the air was filled with the classic burned clutch smell. Driving back I noticed it didn't want to go into second or fourth without much issue. When I got home, I let everything cool down and drove it again, this time all the gears worked but took a lot of effort getting into those gears.

Of course, one of the things I checked was the bushings I replaced not so long ago
. But they seem fine.

Time goes on and I just put up with the stiff shifting but it just got worse. Eventually I cant put it in first with the engine running unless I am already moving and I can slip it in at the right speed, which I have to do at every light, car pulling out in front of me, or when traffic stops. Eventually it stopped allowing me to put it in reverse with the engine running. Also, I noticed that with the clutch all the way down if I give it gas, I the car would move forward or backwards depending on which gear I am in. Also, most of the time the engine will immediately stall unless I give it a little gas.

https://www.amazon.com/LuK-05-102-Cl...ser+clutch+kit

Now it no longer stalls but as soon as I turn the key the car will move forward or backwards depending on the gear without having to give it any gas.

I know there is an adjustment on the clutch, but could it really be out of wack so bad I am having these issues, which seem to quickly getting worse, or is my gut feeling of needing a new clutch the likely culprit.

Any recommendations on what to purchase?

Something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/LuK-05-102-Cl...ser+clutch+kit

~150,000 miles on this car, I assume its on its original clutch.

And just for your enjoyment:

Last edited by n3tjm; 22 Jun 2016 at 10:27 am.
Old 22 Jun 2016, 10:04 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Do I need a new clutch?

Giving people who can't drive manual drive your manual car is the best way to get it ****ed up.There is a big list of mechanical failures they can cause.

I get asked too by some girls if they can spin it,its a female-friendly car and it catches their eye,but the answer is no.Learned that lesson after it got stalled a couple of times and got shifted from fourth into third instead of fifth.

Anyway seems like you answered your own question,if you smelled a burnt clutch,it probably was a burned clutch.Heres hoping theres no damage to the transmission itself.

Old 23 Jun 2016, 08:42 am
Veteran Cruiser

Two stupid questions, but I'll shoot them out anyway. Have you checked the clutch master and slave cylinders to see if there's fluid in them and have you checked the transmission oil level? You don't really seem to know what the hell you're looking at if you haven't at least done those simple procedures. Sorry if I sound rude, but you either haven't done those things or just failed to mention it. I'm just trying to help, but you really need to post everything you've done or tried to do.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 19 Jul 2016, 10:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Follow up. Just got my car back from the shop. Dropped it off a week ago. Gave them three tasks. Replace Clutch, Troubleshoot why the radiator fan wasn't turning on, and find the source of the power steering fluid leak and fix if possible.

Got the car back . Works GREAT. New Clutch, new Radiator Fan, and I know where the leak is, which will be repaired on a later date. (bad seals on the power steering rack). For now I will just add fluid when needed. Total was around $650. He only charged me like $12 an hour for labor.

Attached is a picture of the old clutch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old clutch.jpg (86.2 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by n3tjm; 19 Jul 2016 at 10:17 pm.
Old 20 Jul 2016, 07:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

That picture doesn't tell much. I'd like to see a pic of the actual flywheel and clutch disc. Anyway, glad to hear that you're happy with it and enjoying it. Good luck with that p/s leak. I have one too and need a new rack.

Old 20 Jul 2016, 08:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
That picture doesn't tell much. I'd like to see a pic of the actual flywheel and clutch disc. Anyway, glad to hear that you're happy with it and enjoying it. Good luck with that p/s leak. I have one too and need a new rack.
I'd love to see that too, but the clutch assembly was riveted shut. Though we could of probably ground the rivets off to crack it open to look. What I could see on the outside was those fingers looked bent.

Interesting thing is the first clutch I bought for it at advanced auto parts did not work. So we got a different better brand clutch and it worked perfectly.
Old 20 Jul 2016, 11:27 am
Veteran Cruiser

Well, I don't buy ANYTHING from Advance. I've found that they're prices are higher on just about everything when comparing them with Autozone and O'Reilly. I shop at O'Reilly now. It's got nothing to do with the fact that I've worked for both the Zone and Advance in the past. It's because their prices are better most of the time and it's closest to where I live.

Tags
2002 clutch