Advertisements
Misfire at startup

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jun 2016, 01:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Misfire at startup

[Update: Solved. Bad coil, and the first replacement coil was also bad.]

A few weeks ago when I started my Cruiser one morning I got a check engine light for a misfire in cylinder 1/2. It was running well enough, so I dropped it off at my mechanic who found and replaced a bad fuel injector.

A couple of weeks ago it began starting slowly when the engine was cold, a behavior I've never seen before, and again with the misfires. The car ran fine once it started, but was a bit rough for the first second or two, and this only happened with a cold engine. They were a bit puzzled but ended up replacing the ignition coil. The problem went away.

Today it started a bit rough and i got the same check engine light with a misfire in cylinders 1/2. This time, though, it happened every time I started the car not just on a cold start. I was running errands so had several opportunities to see this happen. On one of the starts I got the misfire code as well as a P0205-- Injector 5 Control Circuit. This one is particularly puzzling on a four-cylinder car unless there's something that I don't understand. (That's quite possible. I just barely know how to top off my own blinker fluid and replace my muffler bearings...)

It's a 2005 Touring Convertible with around 130K miles, completely stock in any way that would matter.

Before I drop the car back in my mechanic's lap, does anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited by Hoser; 16 Sep 2016 at 05:48 pm. Reason: Add resolution
Old 23 Jun 2016, 03:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Misfire at startup

Another member has a similar problem and after unplugged and plugging the connector going to the coil, the right hand pin on the connector pushed the pin inside the connector/plug making contact for a few days and then started to loss connectivity and making the PT Cruiser have a rough idle. I would suggest checking the pins inside the connector.

If the coil wire connector checks out good I would check the list below.
Check the new Coil
Check the Crankshaft sensor and wires going to it.
Check the Camshaft sensor and wires going to it.
Check the wire harness

If everything above checks out good I would suggest checking the ECM.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 08:14 am
Senior Cruiser

No expert on this, but couldn't it be fuel related? The initial problem was an injector. That is what they swapped. That is where I would look. In particular because the car is having trouble with cold starts/start up. Leaking pressure? Leaking in the cylinder? Just a thought. I would also double check everything that was done because it is pretty easy to tug on some wires and screw something else up. DAMHIK.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 08:28 am
Veteran Cruiser

When you say it began starting slowly, could you be more specific? Do you mean the engine is cranking over slowly, or it's just taking longer for the car to start? If the engine is cranking over slowly, go get the battery load tested. If it tests okay, check your ground connections. EVERYWHERE.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 09:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

By starting slowly I meant that I didn't just turn the key and go-- I cranked for a couple of seconds, stopped, cranked for a couple of seconds, stopped, cranked for a couple of seconds and it started.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 10:01 am
Regular Cruiser

Could be the fuel pump bleeding down. I think it is supposed to hold pressure for a period of time. What happens when you turn the car on without cranking and wait a few seconds for the pump to pressurize the fuel system then crank?
Old 23 Jun 2016, 11:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Fuel seems quite possible. The last two times I've started it I got it from cranking to started by stepping on the gas pedal. Correlation is not causation.

My fuel pump has been noisy for a long time, though I thought that was normal.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 11:17 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
Fuel seems quite possible. The last two times I've started it I got it from cranking to started by stepping on the gas pedal. Correlation is not causation.

My fuel pump has been noisy for a long time, though I thought that was normal.
Noisy may be normal. I thought mine was going out cause it got so loud, but it was just way louder when I took the rear seats out.

As suggested in another post. Turn the key to run (not start). Do you hear the pump buzz briefly to pressurize the system? Now, turn it off and back to run a couple of more times. Still get the brief buzz? Then try to start it. Did it start easier? If so, your problem is something letting the pressure bleed down while the car sits. There is a check valve, or there might be a leaky (leaky injector?)
Old 23 Jun 2016, 11:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

I did try turning the key to run a few times before starting it this morning but that didn't seem to help. Mashing on the gas seems like it helped.

Dropped the car off at the shop this morning and suggested that fuel pressure might be the problem. I also told the owner's wife that the car had a crush on her and kept making up excuses to come see her.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 12:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

If it were mine, just for the heck of it, I'd try a bottle of Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner through a tank of gas to see if that helps. You might get lucky and find out it's just a dirty injector. And it's a cheap enough try.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.