Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
won't start... with video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jun 2016, 07:34 pm
Young Cruiser

Default won't start... with video

So, I thought I'd take take my take my family take my family to take my family to the beach on my day off. We pack the cruiser (such such an appropriate car to take to the beach) and head out. As I was going around a corner... BAM!!!! They had shaved the road down and forgotten to place signs out.

Instantly Instantly the PT is running horrible, obviously a broke tyranny mount. I limp it home and $100 later have a new one on it ( it's actually a pretty straight forward job, done in an hour). Go to fire it up, and ... it didnt. I did get a p0303, but I found that the wire had been knocked off. Ok, I can handle that. 10mmlaterand later, back on.

But still won't start. It sounds like it wants to, I can hear the the cylinders firing, but but once but once I but once I let go of the key, straight off. Battery is reading good.

A few years ago, I changed the altenator, do you think it's that? Check out the video below..

https://youtu.be/Qo8ojY_WjbY
Old 29 Jun 2016, 03:20 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: won't start... with video

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_Preacher View Post
So, I thought I'd take take my take my family take my family to take my family to the beach on my day off. We pack the cruiser (such such an appropriate car to take to the beach) and head out. As I was going around a corner... BAM!!!! They had shaved the road down and forgotten to place signs out.

Instantly Instantly the PT is running horrible, obviously a broke tyranny mount. I limp it home and $100 later have a new one on it ( it's actually a pretty straight forward job, done in an hour). Go to fire it up, and ... it didnt. I did get a p0303, but I found that the wire had been knocked off. Ok, I can handle that. 10mmlaterand later, back on.

But still won't start. It sounds like it wants to, I can hear the the cylinders firing, but but once but once I but once I let go of the key, straight off. Battery is reading good.

A few years ago, I changed the altenator, do you think it's that? Check out the video below..

https://youtu.be/Qo8ojY_WjbY
Try spraying starter fluid in to the throttle body while some one tries to start the car.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 29 Jun 2016, 07:01 am
Veteran Cruiser

Any codes? Check the timing belt by popping the inspection plug out of the timing cover. It sure spins over a LOT faster than mine. Sounds like either the timing belt broke or the serpentine belt and alternator belt are not connected. Maybe just my imagination, but it sure sounds fast to me on the cranking.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 29 Jun 2016, 10:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking the wiring in the engine compartment. When you changed the transmission mount you could have stretched or broken a wire raising the transmission up.
Old 30 Jun 2016, 08:42 pm
Young Cruiser

Great idea guys!

To follow up. I peaked in on thee timing belt and saw that it was still spinning. No idea if it skipped timing of course, but it's still there.

Belt to the altenator was still there and tiht.

So I guess I may have stretched a wire. I did have to move the entire fuse box to get install the new motor mount. Besides wagging the wires, any other ideas how to trace it down?
Old 01 Jul 2016, 06:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

No idea at all except check one wire at a time. But THAT information sure would have been helpful to know up front.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 01 Jul 2016, 11:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
Try spraying starter fluid in to the throttle body while some one tries to start the car.
I would suggest you follow what JoeX suggested on his post.

You need to try and narrow it down by finding out if it is related to a fuel, spark or air issue. Once you have determined that then you can narrow it down to the possible wiring of the components that are related to that issue.
Old 01 Jul 2016, 04:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: won't start... with video

Wiring to the Crank Sensor ok?
Old 02 Jul 2016, 05:30 pm
Young Cruiser

Checked for spark today, none!!!

That narrows it doesn't to a few things, eh? After dinner, I'll trace the coil down. Thanks for the input.
Old 02 Jul 2016, 06:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you don't hear the fuel pump running when you turn the key on check the ASD fuse.

If you hear the fuel pump running I would suggest check the wiring and wiring connectors going to the crankshaft and camshaft sensors. Make sure they didn't get pulled tight shorting wires together or hitting the block somewhere shorting to ground.

Was there any wires taken off of any sensors while replacing the transmission mount?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 02 Jul 2016 at 07:22 pm.