PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil Filter Differences

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jun 2016, 11:11 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Oil Filter Differences

Okay, I know the topic has been flogged like a horse at the Kentucky Derby, but I'm bringing it up again. It's time for an oil change on my 200, so I went to Walmart with my son since he's paying for it. I grabbed my regular Castrol Syntec and started looking at the Fram oil filters. Seems that they're supposedly engineered differently based on how often you change your oil and what type of oil you use! REALLY? What difference should it make with a filter if I change the oil every 7,000 or every 10,000 miles? SHEESH! Sounds like a sales gimmick to me. Anyone here know the difference in the microns filtered by say a PH10060 and a XG10060? There's also a HM10060 and a TG10060 filter available. Check what Frams website has to say. Here's the link. I STILL think it's just a sales gimmick. Anyone else agree of disagree? DIY Light Duty Catalog

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 29 Jun 2016, 11:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Filter Differences

Frankly...itsa PT Cruiser. Buy the filter you simply like the color and price!

I would say FRAM..I use it and Race on it with my PT Cruiser.

If you really want to know what the oil filter is doing send a sample to get an oil
analysis done.

Blackstone Labs

On my Race engines and special projects I use an oberg.
chuzz likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 29 Jun 2016, 11:17 am
Banned

I use a MOPAR filter made by WIX. I know some have said it doesn't filter as well, but it obviously meets manufacturer specifications, I have the oil and filter changed every 3000 miles with Castrol GTX-High Mileage.
thecabinguy likes this.
Old 29 Jun 2016, 12:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Okay, I know the topic has been flogged like a horse at the Kentucky Derby, but I'm bringing it up again. It's time for an oil change on my 200, so I went to Walmart with my son since he's paying for it. I grabbed my regular Castrol Syntec and started looking at the Fram oil filters. Seems that they're supposedly engineered differently based on how often you change your oil and what type of oil you use! REALLY? What difference should it make with a filter if I change the oil every 7,000 or every 10,000 miles? SHEESH! Sounds like a sales gimmick to me. Anyone here know the difference in the microns filtered by say a PH10060 and a XG10060? There's also a HM10060 and a TG10060 filter available. Check what Frams website has to say. Here's the link. I STILL think it's just a sales gimmick. Anyone else agree of disagree? DIY Light Duty Catalog
I wouldn't say it is a sales gimmick. More information is better to select oil and filters. Filter performance and price are typically based on size particles filtered, flow rates, holding capacity of the particles, length of time and normal or severe service miles in use, and specifications made by the vehicle manufacturer. I recommend going by the filter manufacturer's recommendations and how often you like to change your oil and filter. For me, I choose a 25,000 normal service/15,000 mile severe service/1 year interval oil and filter.

Last edited by Gold2006; 29 Jun 2016 at 12:47 pm.
Old 29 Jun 2016, 02:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have been working in the automotive parts business since 1980. Started working behind the counter, then to managing stores and now in managing a D/C for a family owned chain with 25 locations. The first auto parts store I worked in, independent, sold Fram filters until the Wix filter rep sold them on Wix filters. He came in with a filter cutter and cut open a Fram and a Wix filter, along with any other brand we had at the time. (I know I will catch some flack about this.) The Fram is the cheapest built filter out there. They sell their product with advertising. If anyone is interested in testing this, go out and buy a couple of different brands and cut them apart and see.With that out of the way, this is what I have learned about filters through the years.

Yes, Wix is a good, quality built filter. They probably are building the Mopar filters, at this time. I throw that in because if Mopar gets a good bid from a different manufacturer, who will build to their specs for the price they want to pay, they will change. Wix at this time builds the Napa filters. They also do a lot of off brand like Pro Tec and Partsmaster.

Motorcraft filters are built by Mann & Hummell and AC Delco are built by Purolator. Remember, even though a manufacturer like Wix or Purolator is building the filter, it is to the customer's specs. Meaning the Wix branded filter for the PT might have different filter media or bypass spring then the Mopar branded filter, built by Wix.

Clear as mud, right? Bottom line, choose the filter YOU like. Being a Ford guy, I used nothing but Motorcraft until I found out that they don't build anything. It's all built by someone else, to their specs. I was Wix for years, and really still am, with the exception that I now buy the Partsmaster branded filters. We sell them along side the Wix and the cost is about half.

If you want to talk air filters, I am in 100 percent with KNN. I buy it once, clean it once a year and they last forever. I put one on the 1994 Nissan Quest we had, when it was new and the filter was still on the van when we sold it last year with 245,000 miles. To me that is a lot cheaper than buying a replacement paper filter every year.
rckstein and rcktpwrd like this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 29 Jun 2016, 02:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Blackstone Labs
^^^^^^^^
It is all about what is going on in the engine!

The buck stops here about oil filters and what and what they can not filter. But unfortunately so few that participate on automotive or truck forums actually spend a few dollars and get it done.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 29 Jun 2016, 11:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold2006 View Post
I wouldn't say it is a sales gimmick. More information is better to select oil and filters. Filter performance and price are typically based on size particles filtered, flow rates, holding capacity of the particles, length of time and normal or severe service miles in use, and specifications made by the vehicle manufacturer. I recommend going by the filter manufacturer's recommendations and how often you like to change your oil and filter. For me, I choose a 25,000 normal service/15,000 mile severe service/1 year interval oil and filter.
Me too, I've been doing this for over 10 years with all my cars without a single problem. Gotta love nano technology!
Old 29 Jun 2016, 11:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 044400 View Post
Me too, I've been doing this for over 10 years with all my cars without a single problem. Gotta love nano technology!
How would you know?

Really unless you have at least one time done an oil analysis your statement is not really supportive to your conclusion!
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

I dont really care... most car enthusiasts and DIY use parts and do things they think works the best anyway.

If it were not for that I am sure there would be less auto forums around the WWW?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 30 Jun 2016, 05:05 am
Cool Cruiser

As Nitro suggested, Used Oil Analysis is a very useful tool.

I used it on my gas engine Ford Motorhome to verify I could go 5 times the mileage (15,000 severe service miles) than Ford's recommended interval of 3,000 miles on oil and filter.

I used it on my 2006 BMW K1200LT to verify I could go 15,000 miles, 1.5 years compared to BMW's recommendation of 6,000 miles/6 months.

My customer used it on his 24, city bus fleet to verify his oil and filters failed analysis with 7 different oils at 3,000 miles, but with AMSOIL has been passing oil analysis at 15,000 miles for the past 3 years.

AMSOIL, Inc. has used oil analysis to test, prove and warranty 25,000 normal service mile/15,000 severe service mile/1 year oil change intervals for the past 44 years without a single proven oil related failure.

Last edited by Gold2006; 30 Jun 2016 at 05:45 am.
Old 30 Jun 2016, 07:19 am
Cool Cruiser

I'm very surprised how many folks are still using FRAM filters. Have they changed their design or are they still primarily made of cardboard? My old man has been a car mechanic all his life and owned his own shop for years and would kill me if I ever installed a FRAM filter. Primarily because of the glued on cardboard end caps, mated to a cheap rubber anti-drain back seal, held in place with a piece of metal, rather than an actual spring. For a literally a few more dollars, you can get a filter (just about any other filter but FRAM) with increased filter surface area, METAL endcaps and by-pass seal held in place by an actual metal spring.
VsandFords likes this.