Replacement Key and fob!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SpannerHound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jul 2016, 02:14 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Replacement Key and fob!

2006 2.4 vin code "B".

I need another key and alarm fob. It is one integrated piece.
Does it have a chip too?
If so what is the best way to get another one?
Old 01 Jul 2016, 05:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: Replacement Key and fob!

You can buy aftermarket compatible key fobs, but you will still need them programmed for the car. If you save a little money now, but have issues further up the road with it, you will have both companies stand and point fingers at the other guy, rather than have one of them take responsibility for it. My advise is, despite the cost (and it's not cheap), is get your local dealer to supply the keyfob and program it for you
Old 02 Jul 2016, 11:37 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Replacement Key and fob!

The stealership want $170 for the key + $60 to program it.
I found aftermarket keys for $12.
How can I justify the difference.
Even $60 to program is steep.

Any other suggestions?
Old 02 Jul 2016, 11:54 am
Young Cruiser

I found this on the web. Anyone try it? Does anyone know if this would work?

Grab your working remote. Insert the ignition key and turn it to ON. Push and hold UNLOCK on the working remote for 6 seconds. Push and hold PANIC for one second while continuing to hold UNLOCK. Release both buttons at the same time.

Push any button on the new remote to program it. Then push any button on the remote that was already programmed. It has to be reprogrammed. The remote is now programmed to the vehicle. Turn the key to OFF.
Old 02 Jul 2016, 02:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: Replacement Key and fob!

There was a way to do it being talked about some time ago using two original keys plus your new replacement one. I don't know if the procedure works or not, as I have never attempted it.

There are companies out there that claim to be able to supply genuine OEM replacements, they are nowhere near $12, but neither are they $170. You will still need to find someone to cut the key for you and it still needs to be programmed.

If you do attempt this and it does work out for you, be sure to come back and share your experiences

Here are some instructions I remembered tripping over a while ago:

Insert the first valid key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position for at least three seconds, but no longer than 15 seconds. Then, Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and remove the first key.

Insert the second valid key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within 15 seconds. After 10 seconds, a chime will sound. In addition, the Vehicle Security Light will begin to flash. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and remove the second key.

Insert the new key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position.within 60 seconds. After 10 seconds, a single chime will sound. In addition, the Vehicle Security Light will stop flashing. To indicate that programming is complete, the Vehicle Security Light will turn on again for a few seconds and then turn off.

The key and fob are now programmed and should function normally. Up to 8 keys can be programmed.

Please remember, this is not what I've advised you to do, but I do understand why you might want to attempt this anyway
LoozerCruzer likes this.

Last edited by SpannerHound; 02 Jul 2016 at 02:30 pm.
Old 02 Jul 2016, 03:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

With my 2nd Gen 2009 PT, you need 2 programmed keys to add another one yourself. Without that, you need to have a dealer or locksmith program the car to accept a new key or buy a programmer yourself to program the car to accept a new key by communicating through the OBDII port.

Here's my experience.

For the past 2-1/2 months, all three keys have been used a lot and have worked flawlessly.