Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Renegade
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jul 2016, 10:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default and now the heater core...

The joys of buying a used car. The wife's PT seemed like a good deal at first, then one silly little thing after another. I figured the changing the water pump and timing belt would be the worst job I would have to deal with this year, but now the heater core is showing all the symptoms of being bad.

I might not hop on this right away. Heck, I might have no choice but to put it off due to finances and lack of work space. Oy.
Old 02 Jul 2016, 01:12 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: and now the heater core...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
The joys of buying a used car. The wife's PT seemed like a good deal at first, then one silly little thing after another. I figured the changing the water pump and timing belt would be the worst job I would have to deal with this year, but now the heater core is showing all the symptoms of being bad.

I might not hop on this right away. Heck, I might have no choice but to put it off due to finances and lack of work space. Oy.
It's only $56 plus shipping from Rockauto for a replacement core, or you might be lucky and get a good one in a breakers yard for a bit less

Doing the job isn't particularly hard either, but it's a PT, so obviously the whole car has to be dismantled. Which should be easy as it's all held together with chewing gum and prayers. The real kick in the backside though, is that to do the job properly, you also need to drain and refill the A/C. You gotta love Chrysler for their genius on this, it must make their dealers millions

I would love to give you hope and say it could be something else, but if you smell hot rusty coolant inside the cabin, it's the core.

If you want to save yourself the ballache, there is another way to do the job, this guy has it all figured out

Old 02 Jul 2016, 01:37 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: and now the heater core...

Oh, I'm sure it's the core. I've got the steam this morning, had a fog up recently that didn't seem to want to go away, and I can see liquid coming out of the drain on the firewall. I don't smell anything or feel wetness in the passenger area, but 3 out of 5 is probably enough.

I don't think I'll be cutting through the metal though (yeesh!). And the a/c has been emtpy since before I bought it, so no worries on that.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 02 Jul 2016, 06:43 am
Veteran Cruiser

Since you don't notice any leaks or wet carpet inside the car, why don't you try replacing the heater hoses and clamps and see if that fixes the problem? You may just have a split hose or defective clamp.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 02 Jul 2016, 11:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Starting there seems logical, yeah.
Old 02 Jul 2016, 02:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Do you smell coolant under the hood? Does the water out of the drain hose have a smell. If the answers for the last one is no. Heater ore not bad. Is there any moisture in the car. You said no odor here. That's a big one there. Are you loosing any coolant?

One more thing! If you had been receptive to the video. I wouldn't have responded to this thread. Personally it's shameful to make such a recommendation. It's still easer to do it right as to screw around hacking up your car.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 02 Jul 2016 at 02:57 pm.
Old 02 Jul 2016, 03:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Do you smell coolant under the hood? Does the water out of the drain hose have a smell. If the answers for the last one is no. Heater ore not bad. Is there any moisture in the car. You said no odor here. That's a big one there. Are you loosing any coolant?

One more thing! If you had been receptive to the video. I wouldn't have responded to this thread. Personally it's shameful to make such a recommendation. It's still easer to do it right as to screw around hacking up your car.
Another suggestion after Busted_PT great post is to have a coolant pressure test to see where the coolant might be leaking.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 03 Jul 2016, 02:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Helpful stuff. I need to double check the floor though. The car hasn't been driven a lot since I noticed the liquid coming out of the drain, so it's possible it just hasn't enough time to moisten up enough to feel yet.

I looked at the radiator and the fluid level seemed lower. I guess I'll know more after I pour some more fluid in there.

Was a bit of oily wetness on the firewall near the drain. It was above the level of the drain's opening which suggested it was coming from behind rather than spilling from the drain.

Lastly, when I first spotted the water spots on the ground and traced the drip to the drain, the drops looked blue right before they fell out of the drain and hit the ground. I thought it might be from the window washer leaking, but the fluid level there doesn't look like anything has been lost. I'm chalking that up to an optical illusion and leaning back towards the core being my problem.
Old 03 Jul 2016, 02:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You can get the coolant pressure tester at harbor freight for a reasonable price.

Radiator Pressure Tester Kit
Old 03 Jul 2016, 06:18 am
Veteran Cruiser

Blue color indicates the windshield washer fluid. Check your lines and connectors to the squirters on the hood. Open the hood and have someone activate the squirters. I've seen cracks in the connectors that only leak when under pressure. It sprays that crap all over the place and it runs down the firewall. You might luck out and find that's all it is. The plastic connectors get brittle from heat over time and crack or break. You can remove them and replace them with pieces found in the help section at your local auto parts store.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.