Advertisements
Wet carpet on Drivers side

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cubx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jul 2016, 07:35 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Wet carpet on Drivers side

Hi folks. I hope everyone had a good holiday weekend.

So I have a question. I have a 05' PT Convertible and I've noticed the padding under the carpet of the drivers side has been pretty wet lately. I've checked to see if there were any plugs missing from the floor or any holes. I've not seen anything of the sort. However, I remembered the dealer adjusting my door before I bought it. There was a little bit of a sag there so he fixed her up for me. Then I noticed the rubber that goes better the windshield frame and the door window was out a little bit. So I popped that back in place. My question (finally), is this. Can that bit of rubber being out like that cause the water to run into my car like that?
Old 04 Jul 2016, 10:31 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Wet carpet on Drivers side

G'day Cubx! If you've just a national holiday over there, I hope you had a great time!

If a rubber seal is worn, improperly seated, hardened or cracked with age or exposure to chemicals, or torn, it could allow water into the car. A picture of the area you mean would be great! Other possibilities might be:
  • If your windscreen was recently replaced, the epoxies used are very specific and cheaper replacements are often done incorrectly. The weatherstripping around the windscreen can also shrink, tears, crack or leak with age or through poor fitment.
  • The convertible roof could be a source of leaking, but I don't have any experience with them. Inspect the roof and see if you can find any obvious signs of dampness on the underside.
  • As someone suggested to me awhile back, you could have a radiator leak which is causing dampness. Check behind the console underneath the steering wheel for more signs of dampness.
I hope that is useful to you!

Last edited by 917K; 04 Jul 2016 at 11:31 pm.
Old 06 Jul 2016, 11:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Are you running the proper amount of HOAT coolant / water in your radiator? If you are then you would smell coolant when you turned on the heater or defroster. If you are running straight water, you would have to check under the carpet to see if water is warm. If any of the two previous conditions are present, you have a leaking heater core and approximately one weeks worth of work to get to the heater core. the entire dash steering column seats center console instrument cluster glove box, etc. I mean everything including the dash frame supports and ac must be purged. I hope its just fresh water from the road or rain in your case.
Old 07 Jul 2016, 12:02 am
Young Cruiser

I have not checked the coolant. Wasn't sure what to do. Luckily I've not had it long and I have a Warranty. The dealer is having a look at it tomorrow, err, well today now. I'm hoping it was just the rubber around the door not being in place that was causing the problem. But, we'll see.
Mississippi likes this.
Old 07 Jul 2016, 09:38 pm
Young Cruiser

I found the source of the water leak. it's coming in from the door. After washing I noticed a spongy thing on the body that was soaked with water. I pulled the carpet back and the water was coming from under the interior trim.