Overheating 2005 pt turbo

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By chuzz
  • 2 Post By rsrocket1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2016, 02:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Overheating 2005 pt turbo

Hi i have a 2005 pt turbo overheating problem. We have replaced the thermostat,timing belt, cooling fan(fan assembly) and water pump and it still runs hot. My boyfriend says we should change the radiator but i dont think thats the problem. It is not loosing water either. I am out of options any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Marie
Old 06 Jul 2016, 02:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating 2005 pt turbo

Have the head gasket tested & do a radiator pressure test.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost

Last edited by LionPT; 06 Jul 2016 at 02:28 pm.
Old 06 Jul 2016, 03:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Why don't you just do a flush of the coolant system? You may have some blockage in the radiator or heater core. Seems like you're going about solving the problem in a haphazard and expensive way (timing belt and water pump).

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 06 Jul 2016, 03:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle View Post
Hi i have a 2005 pt turbo overheating problem. We have replaced the thermostat,timing belt, cooling fan(fan assembly) and water pump and it still runs hot. My boyfriend says we should change the radiator but i dont think thats the problem. It is not loosing water either. I am out of options any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Marie
Does it overheat at low speeds or high speeds or both?

Does the radiator fan stay on when it starts to overheat?

Does the radiator fan come on automatically when you turn on the A/C with the engine cold?
Old 06 Jul 2016, 08:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Why don't you just do a flush of the coolant system? You may have some blockage in the radiator or heater core. Seems like you're going about solving the problem in a haphazard and expensive way (timing belt and water pump).

we have flushed it out several times. it was time to change the belt. The weird thing its not loosing water. Thats what has us confused we are going to have the pressure test done tomorrow.
Old 07 Jul 2016, 08:07 am
Veteran Cruiser

Pressure test the radiator cap too. The springs get weak over time and the gaskets can develop a leak too. I'd just replace it for peace of mind. And make sure you check the rubber hose running from the inlet to the overflow jug. Sometimes they'll have a crack in them and suck air in, instead of coolant.
rsrocket1 likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 07 Jul 2016, 10:26 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Even though most of the time you ought to be looking at the reservoir tank and filling it rather than opening up the radiator cap, if you are diagnosing overheat problems, you need to open that cap when the engine is cold every now and then to ensure it is "full to the brim". If it's not full, then either air was trapped in the system or it's getting into the system and not getting out to be replaced by the coolant in the reservoir.

Be sure to run the heater once in a while to make sure any air trapped in the heater core works its way out.

If the coolant is always up to the radiator cap, then the problem lies elsewhere.
LionPT and chuzz like this.
Old 01 Aug 2016, 04:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We have tried everything even block seal and no luck s we having the head gasket replaced and having the head checked out. We did the block test and it came out fine also pressure tested the radiator. All or the test came out good so the head is the only other choice... thanks for all the tips.
Old 01 Aug 2016, 04:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
We have tried everything even block seal and no luck s we having the head gasket replaced and having the head checked out. We did the block test and it came out fine also pressure tested the radiator. All or the test came out good so the head is the only other choice... thanks for all the tips.
Quote:
Does it overheat at low speeds or high speeds or both?

Does the radiator fan stay on when it starts to overheat?

Does the radiator fan come on automatically when you turn on the A/C with the engine cold?

It would have been nice to have helped if some of our questions had been answered.