PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2009 rough idle when AC compressor is running?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 2 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jul 2016, 04:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2009 rough idle when AC compressor is running?

Hey there!

I have been reading the forums while deciding on buying a used cruiser (which has been very helpful!). I have found a 2009 that we really like but it has an issue with rough idling when the compressor is running. Turn off the AC and it goes away. No issue as speed but what could be the issue? Should I avoid this vehicle or is it fixable or normal? 109,000 miles.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 09 Jul 2016, 04:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2009 rough idle when AC compressor is running?

There is a good chance the radiator fan needs to be replaced. When the radiator fan starts to fail it puts stress on the A/C if the condenser is not being kept cool. The radiator fan costs an average of 100 dollars at RockAuto.com.

If the timing belt has not been replaced you might want to take that in consideration when making your offer.
JoeX likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 09 Jul 2016 at 05:04 pm.
Old 09 Jul 2016, 07:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Check under the hood to make sure the radiator fan is running when you turn the A/C on. The best way to make sure is to get the engine up to running temperature (half way up the dial), stop the car, lift the hood and turn the A/C on and off and look at the fan.
Old 09 Jul 2016, 07:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Check under the hood to make sure the radiator fan is running when you turn the A/C on. The best way to make sure is to get the engine up to running temperature (half way up the dial), stop the car, lift the hood and turn the A/C on and off and look at the fan.
When the brushes on the radiator fan are worn out the fan sometimes work and other times they don't work. If you have any doubts about the radiator fan working properly I recommend replacing it. I do not use the word "replace" very often on this forum but with the damage a radiator fan not working properly can do to a PT Cruiser including burning up an engine I will use it. I have a new spare radiator fan in the garage in case I have doubts of the radiator fan in either of my PT Cruisers

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 09 Jul 2016 at 08:02 pm.
Old 10 Jul 2016, 12:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for asking this! My car has been doing the same thing for several years now. I have had several people attempt at fixing it but its never been my radiator fan they said could be wrong. Thanks!!