PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
05 GT Automatic | ABS TC Lights On No Codes

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jul 2016, 01:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 05 GT Automatic | ABS TC Lights On No Codes

Got a problem diagnosing abs tc light on problem. Reset the system lights off, but drive 5 mph and there back on. Scanned the abs system and no codes displayed. Checked obvious fuses and wire connections i could access.

Since lights came on after driving I'm thinking wheel sensor, but that should throw a code. Curious if it could be something in the traction control system?

Thanks..
Old 10 Jul 2016, 03:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 05 GT Automatic | ABS TC Lights On No Codes

What Scan Tool are you using to scan for ABS codes?
Old 10 Jul 2016, 10:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

You need a scan tool that can read the abs system. It will show each speed sensor for each wheel and while driving it will show up on the screen mph of each wheel also will be able to activate the abs pump to see if that's working. You could check each abs sesor to see if there dirty the tips are magnates and can attract metal so they can't read the counter rings,also rings can be cracked or filled with dirt. If you don't want to do all that take to a shop say your on lunch you would like to make an appointment to get your car fixed but you can't today but you don't no if car is safe to drive if they could look at it then you get a free diagnosis cause you made an appointment so they won't charge you just fix it yourself cause they told you what the problem was.😈😈
Old 11 Jul 2016, 09:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys for the advice. My mechanic friend has the scan tool, not sure what make it was. Might just be a code reader but it said ABS system ok.

Phonically unable to check the sensors for dirt etc, will have to find a shop that can properly diagnose it. One reason i love my old 88 LeBaron, simple and i can fix anything on it.

BTW: is there a way to subscribe to receive post reply notifications from the board?
Old 11 Jul 2016, 11:42 am
Cool Cruiser

There's a possibility you could have a cracked ABS tone ring. The same exact thing happened to mine and it caused the ABS and trac lights to come on once in a while. I've attached a picture of what it looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broken ring.jpg (28.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 11 Jul 2016, 12:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidoSysop View Post
Thanks guys for the advice. My mechanic friend has the scan tool, not sure what make it was. Might just be a code reader but it said ABS system ok.

Phonically unable to check the sensors for dirt etc, will have to find a shop that can properly diagnose it. One reason i love my old 88 LeBaron, simple and i can fix anything on it.

BTW: is there a way to subscribe to receive post reply notifications from the board?
I would suggest making sure battery cable contacts are clean. The modules don't like a voltage drop.

Some members have found one of the ABS sensors to be faulty.
Old 13 Jul 2016, 08:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonN View Post
There's a possibility you could have a cracked ABS tone ring. The same exact thing happened to mine and it caused the ABS and trac lights to come on once in a while. I've attached a picture of what it looks like.
Looks like a PITA to change..
Old 13 Jul 2016, 08:40 am
Cool Cruiser

I actually haven't changed mine yet. For the moment I just have the ABS disabled since the broken ring caused the ABS to randomly kick on and the ABS lights to come on and off during normal driving (pulled an ABS fuse out from under the hood). I don't think you can by the ring itself, it seems like you have to buy an entire axle since they are attached.
Old 13 Jul 2016, 12:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

There's an ABS fuse that can be pulled?

Does this disable the dash light and ding sound permanently?
http://www.carnut.com/
FB https://www.facebook.com/george.c.mcdowell
My 2005 PT Cruiser GT Convertible Project

Old 13 Jul 2016, 12:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

It won't disable the dash light, in fact it makes the dash light stay on. However, in my case, it prevents my ABS from turning on randomly during normal driving since my ABS ring is cracked. I did that because I was tired of hearing the ABS clunk every once in a while. So yes, I typically drive without ABS and TC and have never had an issue.

During harsh weather conditions, like snow up here in New England, I will put the fuse back in to ensure I have ABS in the snow. I'll also put the fuse back in before my state inspection as well and haven't had a problem getting a sticker in the three years it's been cracked. It just stinks to have to replace an entire axle just for that darn ring and I'd rather put the money into other things.
Carnut likes this.

Tags
abs, light comes on, no abs codes