PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Leaking Rack

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jul 2016, 03:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Leaking Rack

Okay Guys, I got under the GT today and after diligently looking for the source of a small spot of transmission fluid on the PASSENGER side of it, I found a leak in the bellows of the rack and pinion. Have any of you ever put a seal kit in one of these and if so, how much of a pain in the neck is it? I DO NOT have money to replace the entire rack. And even looking for a rack, every place want to know if it has "firm feel steering" or "standard steering". I don't have a frigging clue. How the hell can I find out? If my VIN will help and you know how to tell, I will PM it to you. I don't want to publish it. Supposedly there's a code SBA or SBB on the body plate that helps identify the rack. Where the hell is the body plate? I can't locate it. Any and all help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am thinking about trying some power steering sealer first. I hate to put additives in anything, but I'm desperate. If I can't fix it, it will go up for sale or I'll let my son use it as a trade in on a car for him. I'm about done with it. I also found out that it was originally sent to and sold in Tennessee! So at least I know it's a solid Southern vehicle.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Last edited by chuzz; 11 Jul 2016 at 06:26 pm.
Old 10 Jul 2016, 03:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Leaking Rack

Body Plate - located in the engine compartment on the plenum behind the right side strut

Just read where you will need to call a parts store and have them look up your VIN number for the correct part for your GT. Chrysler didn't think it was 'important' to put that info (SBA/SBB) on the body code plate.

For what it's worth, my PT is 14 yrs old and not something I'd consider getting rid of yet. I've not had any major problems with it (up until recently with the front end and now the oil pump), and spending a little to get it back up and running is far cheaper than buying a new vehicle. Take into consideration if you 'like' driving yours as opposed to dreading driving anywhere in it (handling, etc). Yes, repairs get expensive. Like a good friend told me recently, though - spending a few 'new car payments' to get your car running like new again is far better than paying out every month on another one for the next 5 - 6 years.

Last edited by AyeCantSeeYou; 10 Jul 2016 at 03:47 pm.
Old 10 Jul 2016, 04:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thank you, AyeCantSeeYou. I looked at that plate and there are NO letters on there to indicate SBA or SBB steering. WFT? I'm just going to get a bottle of power steering sealer and see if that helps. Otherwise, I'll just let the bastard leak and keep topping it off as needed. I'm growing angry and that's not a good thing for me. High blood pressure runs in my family and since I got away from all of them, mine's been great. I'd like to keep it that way.

Old 10 Jul 2016, 04:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I couldn't get a clear pic of the body plate, but if this was it, this is all the information on it. Minus the entire VIN at the end of the last line.

Old 11 Jul 2016, 02:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

You can try an get your build sheet instantly on the Mopar home page. I believe the build sheet will list the type of steering on your vehicle.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 02:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Try this link for buld sheet.. go to the left under "your vehicle" click "equipement listing" and type in your VIN. I know its for dodge, but i think it worked for my PT as well..

Dodge - Contact Us
Teekypt and Carnut like this.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 03:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Have you looked to see if it's your pressure switch leaking? Very common. Just screws out.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Jul 2016, 06:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thanks for that link, Grasshopper. According to the build sheet, it has the sport suspension, which I'll interpret as firm feel or SBB. And Busted, I have NOT looked at the pressure switch. Is it located on the passenger side of the rack? I'm so pissed off that I didn't even try to get under it today and look at anything else. If it's not located on the passenger side, is it possible for it to travel the length of the rack and drip there? I wouldn't think so, personally. If it's on the drivers side, I'd expect the leak to be there, BUT cars do strange things, right?

Old 11 Jul 2016, 08:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Thanks for that link, Grasshopper. According to the build sheet, it has the sport suspension, which I'll interpret as firm feel or SBB. And Busted, I have NOT looked at the pressure switch. Is it located on the passenger side of the rack? I'm so pissed off that I didn't even try to get under it today and look at anything else. If it's not located on the passenger side, is it possible for it to travel the length of the rack and drip there? I wouldn't think so, personally. If it's on the drivers side, I'd expect the leak to be there, BUT cars do strange things, right?
03 turbo with the 0551

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 12 Jul 2016, 08:51 am
Veteran Cruiser

Well, I just went out and checked the pressure switch. And wouldn't you know, it's clean and dry? My luck isn't like that. It's always something that will we a chore and expensive to repair. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm off to get some power steering stop leak and hope that it helps.
917K likes this.