Interesting Custom F/S (not mine)

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Fk5
  • 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By Fk5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jul 2016, 10:10 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Interesting Custom F/S (not mine)

2004 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER CUSTOM

I saw this thing on craigslist. I'm not sure if it is a scam. The car looks familiar and the description (other than stating custom) doesn't appear to match. It has turbo wheels and does correctly describe it as a manual.

Maybe this is one of those cases where somebody uses pictures of a different car as a bait and switch to show "what you can do to a PT." $1800 is awfully cheap to go through that bother though.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this kind of stuff. Most forums have a "good deal/interesting" thread.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 10:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Interesting Custom F/S (not mine)

the nose is almost that much love the looks of this lady
Old 12 Jul 2016, 10:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The ad says:

"104,000 MILES
MANUAL TRANS
GREEN EXTERIOR GRAY INTERIOR
REAR SPOILER AND ROOF RACK."

From the photos, the car is indeed green (partially) and the transmission is manual. However, there is NO rear spoiler and NO roof rack. I suspect a scam where someone with limited English took some verbiage and tried to match it up to a photo they found online. Also, there's Virginia temporary tag on the car in the photos.

But who knows? $1,800 is likely the going rate for a base model w/manual tranny and no modifications. Maybe someone bought the car at auction and is trying to sell if for straight book value.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 12 Jul 2016 at 11:01 am.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 11:11 am
Senior Cruiser

I am thinking scam too, but it is listed in Fairfax, so VA is the right state. I saw the roof rack. I doubt it is a straight scam. I can't imagine going to the trouble for $1800, but maybe that is part of the plan. I almost want to go take a look. Maybe if I take my bike out this weekend.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 11:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
I am thinking scam too, but it is listed in Fairfax, so VA is the right state. I saw the roof rack. I doubt it is a straight scam. I can't imagine going to the trouble for $1800, but maybe that is part of the plan. I almost want to go take a look. Maybe if I take my bike out this weekend.
From what I've seen, the routine scam is to offer a non-existent car at a cheap price but not unbelievably cheap. And when a potential buyer calls you tell them the car is actually somewhere hundreds of miles away. But if they pay you now, you will have the car shipped to them.

As an example, I've been watching a Craigslist ad for months with a beautiful "Plumb Crazy" 2008 SRT8 6.1 Hemi Charger being offered for $8,000. The ad just mentions a 2008 Charger with no mention of the SRT model or any of the extras. This PT ad seems very similar.

You will know when you call. If the car is actually in Fairfax where you can see it and it has a clear title, then you should be good. But if you get someone with a very heavy accent and a long story about shipping, then you know it ain't good.
dougs and VsandFords like this.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 11:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

I don't see any rear exterior door handles. I wonder if they welded the doors shut or if they just removed the handles, filled in the holes and are using poppers? FK5, you SHOULD go check that out. I love the color combo.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 11:23 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I don't see any rear exterior door handles. I wonder if they welded the doors shut or if they just removed the handles, filled in the holes and are using poppers? FK5, you SHOULD go check that out. I love the color combo.
I noticed the lack of rear door handles too.

Truth be told, I think that I have seen that car already. The one in the pictures, not the one actually for sale. I think I would have a better chance of getting a look at the one in the pix if I decide to drive up to Chryslers@Carlisle Saturday than if I contact this seller.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.