PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Most desireable Dream series ?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jul 2016, 10:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Most desireable Dream series ?

I know it's probably a matter of opinion and taste, but is there a general consensus as to what is the most desirable dream series made?

I'm in the market for a new car after selling my 1989 Shelby Daytona.

There is one Dream Series 2 available and a near mint Series 3 with exceptionally low mileage also available.

The Series 2 has 60,000 miles with automatic. Asking price is $3400. It will likely require some maintenance and cosmetic touch-ups.

The Series 3 has 28,000 miles with manual trans and all available options including hurst shifter dual exhaust, mopar sub and upgrade intake and ignition. Needs nothing ! Asking price is $9000

Just wanting some opinions as to which of these two would be deemed most desirable, either due to color, options, production numbers, etc.

Thanks for your replies....
Old 12 Jul 2016, 10:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Most desireable Dream series ?

2 and 4 I think will be the most. Five speed if available. Just because of rarity. I'm a auto guy. 9k is a bit much. The other is very reasonable. But it will be a bit before collect ability sets in. JMHO

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 12 Jul 2016, 11:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you are considering these two, buy neither one. Here's why.

The first car is a bit cheap. That's likely because it needs some cosmetic and minor mechanical work. The second car sounds excellent but is way overpriced.

If you were actually considering the second car, then you should look further for something closer to it's condition but more reasonably priced. $5000 to $6000 should buy you an immaculate Dream Cruiser if you look hard enough to find it. The 2003 DC2 with 5-speed and the 2005 DC4 convertible are likely going to be the most desirable among PT Cruiser enthusiasts.

PS: The 2003 DC2 will need a Stage 1 PCM and injector upgrade if you want similar power to later GT models.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 12 Jul 2016 at 11:12 am.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 06:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks guys. I agree that the DS3 is way overpriced and the DS2 may require a $2-3K to get it where I'd like it to be to be cosmetically and mechanically reliable. The DS3 seller told me that's what it worth to him to sell, so really probably not interested in selling it at all.

I like the understated colors of the DS3 as tangerine orange of the DS2, especially the interior is a little too bold for my tastes.

I'm not really concerned over future value - just looking for others opinions, or general PT enthusiasts consensus on which of these models may be the most desirable or most collectible in the future either due to low productions numbers, rare color or combination of options, etc.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 08:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

Guess I'm just prejudiced. I think the 2005 PT GT Convertible is the hot ticket for future collectible.

One year only body style similar in mystique to a split window Corvette of PT Cruiser convertibles.
http://www.carnut.com/
FB https://www.facebook.com/george.c.mcdowell
My 2005 PT Cruiser GT Convertible Project

Old 12 Jul 2016, 09:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

To me the DC 3 is the way to go if you want a sedan and the DC 4 if you're looking for a convertible. They're both great looking and less gaudy color wise than earlier Dream Cruisers and each edition got rarer as they went along. I still frequently see DC 1s and 2s, but rarely ever see 3-5s on the road these days.

Previously owned: 2003 PT Cruiser Limited (Patriot Blue Pearl Coat), 2004 Dream Cruiser Series 3
Old 13 Jul 2016, 10:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

I do not like the look of the convertible and with the weather here on the east coast, there is not many months of nice summer weather either.

Sedan is where I want to be, especially with the versatility of the drop down rear seats and cargo capacity.

If I had a choice, the 2004 DS3 is what I'd prefer given the long list of additional options on the car, the overall condition, low mileage and more tasteful color combo....but no way can I drop down $9000 for it....the search continues I guess.

Thanks for the replies to date.....
Old 15 Jul 2016, 12:43 am
Cool Cruiser

You might want to look at a low mileage 07 or 08 turbo...either a Limited or a Touring... if you can find one! Chrysler was cutting way back on the turbo engine production then ($$) and so they are somewhat more rare... Saw someone in a red 06 turbo the other day.... it was his girlfriend's mother's car.... 26,800 miles only on it!
Black base 2006 NA, dented front bumper, scratched rear bumper. 2008 Touring, one of 385 red Turbos built in 2008. Limited grill, body-colored mirrors, grab handle deleted, dual-tone horn, shorty antenna.
Old 18 Jul 2016, 08:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

The 2003 Series 2 Dream Cruiser with the 5-speed is my favorite PT. Difficult to find, especially in nice condition. I really do not care for the two tone look of the Series 3. I would love it if it were all blue with no silver.
Old 25 Jul 2016, 05:41 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I have a 2002 Dream, a 2003 Dream, and a 2007 Pacific Coast.
The 02 caught my attention because it is just a beautiful car.
The 03, my first Cruiser, is fast and beautiful and reasonably rare with about 1900 built.
The Pacific is pretty and only about 500 made.
In your position I would look for a nice 03 or 04 Dream with the transmission to suit you. I find the Auto-stick fun to shift, but at 67 I'm not sure a 5 speed would be that much fun as a daily driver. The Turbo cars are really fun.
If I buy another Dream it will be a 2004 two tone blue-windowed I think. Only one around here that I know of and it is a mess, still driven daily but a mess.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.