PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
budget for repairs and ups ( timing belt )

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jul 2016, 09:56 am
Regular Cruiser

Default budget for repairs and ups ( timing belt )

Hello Cruisers I want to get the most out of my budget with this timing belt job. I've got 2000 to 3000 dollars I need to do my Timing belt. What else could I have my mechanic do to help my engine since we're going in there anyway. I always wanted to rebuild the engine but that's too big of a job so I was wondering what you all would suggest I do when I take my car in for the timing belt. Maybe something to do with the head? Or maybe something else that I should check to make sure that the engine lasts? The typical timing belt stuff like water pump and possible cam seals are of course getting done too. Thank you.

The car is a 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser dream Cruiser 5 speed Turbo.

Sometimes I get a little head knocking at full boost in 2nd gear. I always wanted to pick up a Diablo sport 93 Tune thing and if I were to go that route I want to make sure it will work for my dream cruiser series 2

Last edited by cloudhidd3n; 13 Jul 2016 at 10:03 am.
Old 13 Jul 2016, 10:05 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: budget for repairs and ups ( timing belt )

how many miles do you have on the car? Are you the original owner? What was the last scheduled maintenance performed?
Old 13 Jul 2016, 10:14 am
Regular Cruiser

Car has 92000 miles I am the 3rd or 4th Owner I bought it in February this year with 82000 miles it needed a tune-up Which I have done you know the usual spark plugs wires K&N air filter I've been doing my oil changes with Mobil 1 synthetic every 4000 miles I'm burning about one quart of oil every fifteen hundred to two thousand miles. It needed a lot of drivetrain help I've replaced the wheel bearings the CV shaft on driver side, still need to do the other side this weekend actually because i hear it clicking in first gear under load. the tie bars. Replaced all my brake pads an oil pressure sensor I'm probably missing some stuff which have also done. Changed trany oil.

Overall the car and engine feels and sounds strong and good and the knoCk I mentioned in 2nd gear I believe its a early detonation I'm not sure because I've never heard engine detonation before

Ps having trouble typing so don't mind the grammatical errors

Last edited by cloudhidd3n; 13 Jul 2016 at 10:25 am.
Old 13 Jul 2016, 10:20 am
Regular Cruiser

Replace the water pump when you do the timing belt. Does he need to do the cam end oil seals as well?
cloudhidd3n likes this.
Old 13 Jul 2016, 11:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's the extra's I did when I installed a new timing belt on my 2005 GT.

1. Complete Gates timing kit with water pump, tensioner, idler pulley and a blue Gates "Racing" timing belt.

2. Front crankshaft seal.

3. Installed performance camshafts.

4. New Felpro Head Gasket Kit - Used the Valve cover gasket, cam seals and everything but the head gasket itself. (cheaper than buying gaskets separately)

5. New NKG plugs.

6. MSD plug wires.

7. New PCV valve and inline Boomba check valve.

8. New drive belt tensioner.

9. Gates Blue Racing drive belts. Gates Blue radiator and heater hoses.

10. Painted and detailed valve cover.

11. New Thermostat.

Old 13 Jul 2016, 11:04 am
Senior Cruiser

Wow, Handy. That's a bunch of blue stuff I can't see!
Old 13 Jul 2016, 11:26 am
Cool Cruiser

Have the oil pump looked at/tested. Most people are surprised when they find out it's external.
Old 13 Jul 2016, 01:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeCantSeeYou View Post
Have the oil pump looked at/tested. Most people are surprised when they find out it's external.
Yep, but you have to remove the oil pan to get it off. So once removed, might as well replace.

If worried about it, I myself would likely check the oil pressure before tearing into the timing belt job. I'd hook a mechanical oil pressure gauge to the engine and then drive the car for 30 minutes or so to assure the engine is thoroughly warm. Then I'd check the pressure at idle and at 3000 rpm. If like other similar engines, idle pressure should be at or above 4 pounds. And at 3000 rpm, pressure should likely be above 20 pounds but less than 80. I'd look up those numbers to make sure they apply to the PT Cruiser engine.

If all was good, I'd leave the oil pump as is unless I just wanted to go ahead and change it as part of preventative maintenance. For me the preventative maintenance decision often comes down to my mood and the weight of my pocket book at that time. A replacement turbo oil pump is about $150 online. Here's the one on my 2005 GT.

Old 14 Jul 2016, 01:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thank you guys and good tips on the oil pump I appreciate it another question I have is regarding the CV shaft is the passenger side CV shaft the same size as the driver side CV shaft?

Nevermind I don't know why I thought it would both be the same size I guess I thought the passenger side consisted of two sections and the outer section appear to look like the same size as the driver's side

Last edited by cloudhidd3n; 14 Jul 2016 at 01:51 pm.
Old 14 Jul 2016, 02:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudhidd3n View Post
Thank you guys and good tips on the oil pump I appreciate it another question I have is regarding the CV shaft is the passenger side CV shaft the same size as the driver side CV shaft?

Nevermind I don't know why I thought it would both be the same size I guess I thought the passenger side consisted of two sections and the outer section appear to look like the same size as the driver's side
I see you edited it, but equal length shafts are there to reduce torque steer. There was a fight about it on here recently. The non-turbo cars probably just have unequal length shafts. That was the case with the old 2.2 turbo 1 Mopars. It keeps the car from ripping the wheel out of your hands when you punch it.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.