PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
i too have a clicking noise. mechanical in nature

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jul 2016, 01:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default i too have a clicking noise. mechanical in nature

It started lightly on the pass. Side and could only hear it if I drove next to a wall so the sound could echo off of it. It's starting to get a little louder and more pronounced. It was happening only in first gear when taking off. Now i get it in 2nd gear too. I've replaced everything on both sides that has to do with drive lines except the pass Side cv shaft so I'm thinking it's the cv shaft. Doesn't click if i press the clutch and coast but clicks if I start driving.
Old 14 Jul 2016, 04:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: i too have a clicking noise. mechanical in nature

Sounds like you may have figured it out. Often, a bad CV joint will make noise under load but not while coasting. And sometimes they do the opposite. But often the noise the CV joint makes will change when turning.

When pulling it apart, check the front wheel bearings as well. I've had them do the same on front wheel drive cars.
cloudhidd3n likes this.
Old 14 Jul 2016, 04:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

CA ^^^ ...but often the bearing may look bad and still be good but sometimes the opposite and often the bearing will make noise under a load but sometimes the opposite and sometimes it is not the bearing at all but then maybe ....

cloudhidd3n likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 14 Jul 2016, 07:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

THe cv shafts are not equal length are they? When i look underneath at the pass Side cv shaft it looks as if it's in 2 sections. One straight long axle connecting to a same size cv shaft as the driver side.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 14 Jul 2016, 11:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That is correct for your turbo PT. It's got an intermediate shaft with a carrier bearing. But most of the non-turbo PT's just have single long CV shaft on the right side.

I just bought a new intermediate and right CV shaft for my turbo convertible project. And it just came today. Here's a link:

Handy's New Turbo Convertible PT Project!

Also, if you go back in my project thread a bit, you will see how mine looked when failed. Based on reports on this forum and others, failure of the carrier bearing on the intermediate shaft is fairly common. Here's a link to that part of my thread:

Handy's New Turbo Convertible PT Project!

And here's a couple of photos of the new shaft. As you can see, the bracket is metal but the carrier bearing is mounted in molded rubber and cannot be replaced by itself:

chuzz likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 14 Jul 2016 at 11:41 pm.
Old 15 Jul 2016, 08:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Better obtained information about intermediate shaft on PT Cruisers and or the carrier bearing based on the number of produced PT Cruiser using them is shows NOT a common part that fails with in a normal service life or as the PT Cruiser was designed to be a *100,000 mile vehicle. In fact they are likely to live longer then the PT Cruisers *life use design itself. As There are a few PT Cruisers that may need any part replaced before it design operating life, mostly because of the failure due to their operating environment and not a normal expected part failure due to the design.
There are a few exception and the only one that comes to mind on a PT Cruiser is the lower control arm bushing. However most of them still fall into the high mileage or failure due to where they are driven rather then poor design.

I wish some members would stop using the internet and owner posted information as your predominate source of PT Cruiser information IMHO this really make PT Cruiser in general look like a FORD=Fix And Repair Daily.
If one were able to get any part supplier to tell them the sales history of a intermediate shaft or bearing you may find better answers as to how common they are sold. Or in this case how infrequently.

The biggest problem with the intermediate shaft assembly is the support bracket itself and mounting. It has been shown to be of poor design and can break if the PT Cruiser is used constantly used in acceleration trails.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 15 Jul 2016 at 09:00 am.
Old 15 Jul 2016, 09:17 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I wish some members would stop using the internet and owner posted information as your predominate source of PT Cruiser information IMHO this really make PT Cruiser in general look like a FORD=Fix And Repair Daily.
I appreciate your knowledge, but this is honestly why I come here. Owner posted information is literally the purpose of these forums. I understand the place for the certified mechanic and that owners will not necessarily use the preferred method, but it is up to each of us to make our own choices.

If you have a better idea or way, by all means share it. I don't mind you shouting down anybody's theories or methods (including my own), but please don't discourage owner posted information. A perfect for instance is the DMF. If it weren't for a few people posting problems and a TSB (that didn't apply to my car) we might not have even known that our car had one, let alone that it was starting to separate and making my car impossible to shift. That doesn't mean that it is a common problem or that everybody has to run out and get solid flywheels. Same with the intake gasket on the aluminum manifold - owners mentioning it was a problem is what put me on to that as a potential problem.

I think we are arguing semantics with "common problem". I don't take common problem to mean that most cars will have the problem, merely that it is not 1 in a 1,000,000 and it is an item to check.

EDIT to add that your last paragraph is something I consider "owner posted information" and the kind of thing I like to know. Well, not "like" I don't actually like to hear any part is a poor design, but I would much rather know it than be ignorant of the fact.

Last edited by Fk5; 15 Jul 2016 at 09:19 am.
Old 15 Jul 2016, 10:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

FK5 your comments may be slightly off topic so my response will be considered as well OFF TOPIC:

Funny ...when a shop incorrectly diagnosis a problem and or does a less then quality repair members are all over posting about there experience but when I point out real information about procedures and part information based on records of a shop that works on average 2 PT Cruiser a month and can access sources of factual information and data it is viewed almost in the same light as those mentioned bad auto repair shops.

The point is that in this thread mentioning the intermediate shaft as a part the may frequently fail is inaccurate and poorly advised.

Comments condemning my responses is exactly why 99% of qualified ASE and long time experienced Auto Technicians as well service shops rarely waste there effort to help on vehicle related forums.

I do this forum because I own drive and mod a PT Cruiser. Should that day ever come when I no longer own one than I will move on.

This is not the first forum I have been on and I do belong to dozens that information given from a experienced member of subject matter is constantly ridiculed. I personally dont mind as long as you do not get to personal with names and stupidly try to threaten me!

I have talked to a friend that has his own you tube and many friends that could contribute so much to forums and have tried to invite them into this one...they all say NOT a chance after seeing how I get into interesting debates from some members.

https://www.ericthecarguy.com/

On a side note... if members carefully re-read my last response there is a clue to some great information that never seems to sink in about PT Cruisers.

For those that do not know all the abbreviation used by people...DMF = Dual mass flywheel

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...reviation.html

Oh, one more thing...if members were to look and use this forum search engine you may find that I actually mentioned,pictured and talked about the intermediate shaft as well changed mine long before the other guy. Even painted mine up to look pretty "kool" before installing it.
For those really thinking that they need to change it order carefully.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 15 Jul 2016 at 10:12 am. Reason: http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/non-pt-discussions/46607-automotive-terms-abbreviation.html
Old 15 Jul 2016, 10:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

More OFF TOPIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
I appreciate your knowledge,
EDIT to add that your last paragraph is something I consider "owner posted information" and the kind of thing I like to know. Well, not "like" I don't actually like to hear any part is a poor design, but I would much rather know it than be ignorant of the fact.
UMMMM...really????? Do you have any idea on any PT Cruiser year or model how many parts were poorly engineered designed?
I could spend the whole week on this subject alone.

To name a couple that quickly comes to mind.... How about the totally outdated watts-link assembly or drum brakes on the rear of some model PT Cruisers...., the multi function switch, strut support mounts, weak overdrive cage, oil pump, lots more

but again the clue to something very important was in my response before all this defending myself started.....

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 15 Jul 2016 at 10:32 am.
Old 15 Jul 2016, 10:41 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
More OFF TOPIC

UMMMM...really????? Do you have any idea on any PT Cruiser year or model how many parts were poorly engineered designed?
I could spend the whole week on this subject alone.

To name a couple that quickly comes to mind.... How about the totally outdated watts-link assembly or drum brakes on the rear of some model PT Cruisers...., the multi function switch, strut support mounts, weak overdrive cage, oil pump, lots more

but again the clue to something very important was in my response before all this defending myself started.....

I am not sure why this caused the really, the eek, the rolling eyes, the crazy. I was pointing out something you said that I found useful. I KNOW there are parts that are not well designed or were "cheaped out" on. Doesn't mean that it makes me happy.

I think you are good guy, but you seem a little too worried about getting your point across. Most of us received it a long time ago. That doesn't mean we should stop posting.

I also don't know what you were defending yourself from. Literally the only thing I said was that I believe owner posted information is useful. If you disagree with that, I understand, but if that is the case, we will have to agree to disagree.

EDIT: to state that I can't see the video here, so I have no idea of how it relates.