Cannot get parking brake up enough to remove center console - 2007 Pt

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rsrocket1
  • 1 Post By sanatanadharma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jul 2016, 11:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cannot get parking brake up enough to remove center console - 2007 Pt

So I am trying to install booger bushings in my 07 pt cruiser 5 speed. I have replaced the ones on the transmission but cannot get the center console out to access the shifter. I have read add the tutorials, removed the screws, removed the shift knob and boot, disconnected the rear window controls, etc but i cannot get the console to clear the e brake. If i pull my ebrake up as far as i can it is only about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way to vertical. I moved the seats back and layed them down and tried to force the console over it but it will not go. I nearly broke the plastic trying. Does anyone have any advice or tricks for getting the e brake up more? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 16 Jul 2016, 12:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Cannot get parking brake up enough to remove center console - 2007 Pt

Pull the brake up as far as it will go, I thought mine was all the up but I got an extra 2 clicks. Lift the console up till it touches the brake handle...then push the console forward & lift up. It may bow a little but it will come out.
If you still have trouble, reach under the console & push the brake button in & push console up.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 16 Jul 2016, 12:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Cannot get parking brake up enough to remove center console - 2007 Pt

That one piece center console is a terrible thing to try to remove!
I had a real tough time trying to remove that thing on my 09 base model.

Here's the service manual instructions:

(1) Block the tire and wheels so the vehicle does not move once the vehicle parking brake lever is released.

(2) Remove the transmission shift knob as necessary. (not necessary with my round ball 09 AT shifter)

(3) Place parking brake lever in released (full OFF) position.

(4) Remove the screws attaching the center console.

(5) Remove rear window switch panel from the console.

(6) Working through switch opening, grasp a parking brake cable or equalizer and pull back approximately 25.4 mm (1 in.)

(7) While holding the cable or equalizer, pull the parking brake handle to itís full upright position.

(8) Remove center console.

I started where you are right now with the center console "floating" with nothing holding it in place other than the parking brake. It let me get to the cables easier to "work in the slack" needed to allow the brake handle to go up to the near-vertical position.

I noticed that when pulling on the handle, more tension went into the cable, if I propped something under the cable as a "pry bar", as I released the handle, it was easier to pull up the cable higher. At that point, it was a little easier to pull the brake really hard to get it up to the near-vertical position.

After removing the console, doing the work and putting everything back together, the parking brake worked fine and the "stop point" did not change so no additional adjustments were needed.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by rsrocket1; 16 Jul 2016 at 12:31 pm.
Old 16 Jul 2016, 04:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump
chuzz likes this.

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 12:26 pm.

Tags
booger bushings, center console, e brake, parking brake, shifter