Advertisements
A/c issues

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NightWing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jul 2016, 03:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default A/c issues

I haven't had a/c for a while, but haven't worried about it because I didn't need to go very far, but I'm about to take a new job that will require me to drive a lot. So here's the problem and what I've done.

My a/c blows hot air which led me to look up what the problem might be. I discovered that it was likely a lack of refrigerant. So I purchased a can with a guage and followed the instructions.I turned my 2007 pt cruiser on and turned on the a/c to max. I then observed my compressor to make sure it was turning, but it wasn't. So I looked that up and saw somewhere that if it didn't have refrigerant it would need some added before the compressor would turn on.

So I added some refrigerant, but the compressor wouldn't spin until it was in the yellow section of the guage. I have since discovered that I have a leak and have considered picking up a can of a/c pro super seal to close up the leak. Should I do this and add more refrigerant, or is there something wrong with my compressor? Will I even know if something is wrong if I don't fix the leak? Can anyone explain why the compressor won't spin until it has refrigerant in it, I sincerely don't understand.
Old 16 Jul 2016, 03:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: A/c issues

The refrigerant contains a compressor lubricant. Running the compressor dry can burn it up.
Old 16 Jul 2016, 03:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: A/c issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
The refrigerant contains a compressor lubricant. Running the compressor dry can burn it up.
I assume this is why it won't spin without the refrigerant. Should I then go ahead and try to seal the leak and then try to add more refrigerant?
Old 16 Jul 2016, 03:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: A/c issues

Do you know where your leak is? AC repair shops add a dye to the charge so they can see any leaks. I have read that stop leak in radiators is a no-no because it can plug the tubes. I would guess that a similar product in an AC system might not be the best course of repair.

If your system has been dormant for a long time, it should probably be evacuated and have the receiver-dryer replaced. Rather than dink around, your best bet might be an AC repair shop that knows what they are doing.