Advertisements
2004 PT Cruiser Front Brake Caliper Bolts

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By SpannerHound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jul 2016, 08:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2004 PT Cruiser Front Brake Caliper Bolts

My 2004 was make awfull noise when I hit the front brakes. Checking the front brakes out, found I was missing 1 of the 2 bolts that attaches the bracket that holds the brake caliper to the steering knuckle, the other bolt was fairly loose. So when braking, the caliper was moving.About 3 weeks ago, my local garage replaced the front wheel bearing and hub. I assumed, they didnt tighten it down.
From what I can find on the internet, its Mopar part #06104234AA.
Another option is checking out my local hardware store, they have a huge assortment of nuts, bolts etc.
Old 16 Jul 2016, 10:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: 2004 PT Cruiser Front Brake Caliper Bolts

First port of call should be the place you took it to for the wheel bearing. Make it clear to the manager that they either put matters right, or you do and they pay for it. I would use genuine OEM parts if I were you, don't substitute the bolts. Worst case, if you have a breakers yard nearby, it might be worth seeing if they have a PT in that you can salvage the bolts from
LionPT and 917K like this.
Old 17 Jul 2016, 02:49 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 PT Cruiser Front Brake Caliper Bolts

Spanner has it, too right. And don't get fobbed off, they're responsible, learn about and use the consumer protection laws.

I'd be inclined to use a genuine part. I can't seem to find the number you posted in my 04 manual though so can't confirm. Make sure you use the correct torque specs
Old 17 Jul 2016, 08:34 am
Veteran Cruiser

You can purchase the caliper bolts at any of your chain auto parts stores. But as mentioned, I'd go back to that shop first and see what they'll do for you.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 17 Jul 2016, 10:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Currently the car is up on jack stands & undriveable in present condition.

The internet is such a wonderful thing! Actually did more research, found the 2004 PT Cruiser parts manual. Was able to locate the part nbr, I need in this case, 06505832AA, Googled the part nbr, found it should be readily available, since used across multiple Chrysler and Dodge lines and cheap, couple of bucks. Luckily a Dodge dealer closer then the garage and one of the internet Chrysler/Dodge dealers is only 15 miles away too. If not I can order online. I also found the bolt specs, there's multiple bolt suppliers that carry flange head hex bolts with the same grade, length, diameter, threads.
I already have a torque wrench & will probably apply a drop of thread Loctite blue as added protection.
Funny thing, 6 months ago I replaced the left front axles & CV joints, didnt do the wheel bearings since a press is required. Of course the wheel bearing went bad later, so let a garage do it because they have the press etc.
Lesson learned, when time to replace right side, also do the wheel bearing & hub too.
Also thinking of having the rotors turned& replace brake pads since all disassembled anyways.

How loud was the noise, I wearing hearings, even without them on I could hear it.
Old 17 Jul 2016, 10:54 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: 2004 PT Cruiser Front Brake Caliper Bolts

After the caliper bracket being so loose, and you having driven the vehicle for some distance with it like that, I would be replacing not only the caliper bracket bolts, but also the brake pads and wheel studs as they will likely have been damaged too. I would also be looking very closely at the brake hose and replacing that also, if it shows any signs of stress. The brake hose is a judgement call on my part though, it's probably OK, but inspect it anyway
Old 17 Jul 2016, 11:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

The brake lines look ok, don't think the were stressed anymore then normal up & down movement, pads look ok, but might change them since there anyways, I'm thinking the hub stubs look good.

Tags
bolts, caliper, front brakes, steering knuckle