• 1 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By quicksilverdon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jul 2016, 01:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Dash lights very dim

Hello all.
New member and new pt cruiser owner.
I've not long brought a cruiser, 2002 2.4 diesel. Loving it so much. Best car I've ever owned.
It does have a few niggles. That I'm working slowly to fix, the biggest one is. My dash lights, the speedometer, Rev counter, ect, lights are very dull. Only late at night and day time can I see clearly the readings, the inbetweers times I'm guessing at.
Is this a common issue??? A pt quirk, or just crappy lights, I've looked on YouTube about how to replace the lights, but don't want to fork out the money doing this if they ate quite intentionally dull looking. I'd rather sound the money on a few other mods to the car. Many thanks.
Old 17 Jul 2016, 02:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Dash lights very dim

Welcome to the forum.

All the PT's have dash lights that are hard to see. Drive in the daytime with sunglasses and you might as well forget seeing any of the gauges. A few have taken the dash apart and installed higher intensity lights. Others have gone to different background colors to try to improve the lighting.

There are other quirks that you will find as you go along like the turning radius of a mac truck and usually pretty low gas mileage.
Teekypt likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Jul 2016, 02:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You do know the lights are adjustable, right? Twist the knob at end of stalk on steering column. You can go from completely off all the time to full bright all the time.
thecabinguy likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Jul 2016, 02:31 pm
Regular Cruiser

I changed mine recently and its pretty easy and very cheap.. Few pounds for 10 of the bulbs on eBay. You only need 6 or 7

Hit me up if you need any instructions, they are better now, you might have one out, also the light shining in the window will make one side look dimmer, wait till very dark or use your hand to block the light to guess if you have any blown.

2005 GT 2.4 Dark Plum Pearl
Old 17 Jul 2016, 02:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1758.jpg (88.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1627.jpg (97.5 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by uncomn; 17 Jul 2016 at 02:40 pm.
Old 18 Jul 2016, 03:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
You do know the lights are adjustable, right? Twist the knob at end of stalk on steering column. You can go from completely off all the time to full bright all the time.
Yep, figured that out pretty quick.
Old 18 Jul 2016, 03:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncomn View Post
I changed mine recently and its pretty easy and very cheap.. Few pounds for 10 of the bulbs on eBay. You only need 6 or 7

Hit me up if you need any instructions, they are better now, you might have one out, also the light shining in the window will make one side look dimmer, wait till very dark or use your hand to block the light to guess if you have any blown.
Cool I'll try that, thanks.
What kind of bulbs are they?
I've seen some YouTube tutorials on changing the dash lights, but can't remember what bulbs they were, think it was American to, so like other things will be called somtjing different
Old 18 Jul 2016, 04:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Can't find the exact ones I bought in my history but Pretty sure these are em.

Look at this on eBay 10PCS 286 T5 MINIATURE WEDGE CAR DASHBOARD DASH LIGHT BULBS 12V 2W FOR VW FORD | eBay

Old 18 Jul 2016, 04:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Teekypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
...There are other quirks that you will find as you go along like the turning radius of a mac truck and usually pretty low gas mileage.
LMBOOOO! Yes! This drives me nuts...gotta swing it out wide to make a doggone u-turn!

http://www.math.uh.edu/~tai/Today/Clean3.jpg