Advertisements
I Need a Check List for my New 2010 Cruiser

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jul 2016, 02:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default I Need a Check List for my New 2010 Cruiser

Greetings all!

I just bought a 2010 PT Cruiser with abound 52,000 miles on it. I got it home after testing driving it and the first thing I did was call my local Chrysler Dealership for a complete inspection and tune-up. They looked it over and did not find anything wrong, telling me I got a good deal. The said everything seemed to be in order except for a sensor warning relating to the seat (they thought it had to do with the heated seat, but I told them I didn't know if even had that). The did an oil change, rotated my tires (which they also said had plenty of life left in them) and sent me on my way. This weekend I'm taking it back in due to the window switches starting to stick sometimes and the driver side electric seat lever going out (it no longer moves the seat up/down/forward/back).

I'm wondering if anyone else can suggest any other areas of routine maintenance or troubleshooting I can do in order to get this car back in tip-top shape that I or the dealership might not be thinking of?

Thanks!
Old 19 Jul 2016, 02:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: I Need a Check List for my New 2010 Cruiser

Are you positive the window switches are sticking? The windows have an auto down and up feature by pressing the window button beyond the stop (you will feel a click).
Old 19 Jul 2016, 02:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: I Need a Check List for my New 2010 Cruiser

Ah, a 2010! The last year for the PT. I would hang on to that one.
Old 19 Jul 2016, 03:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That PT is extremely new compared to most we deal with on this forum. To be exact, it's as new as you can get.

If you had a 2001 PT with high miles, we could suggest a whole lot of things. But on your very young baby, there may not be that much that needs doing past what you have already identified. If I remember right, all 2010 PT's are the same edition and come with the naturally aspirated engine and automatic transmission.

Now if you decide to make some modifications, one I would suggest is a Mopar Subwoofer. There is a fellow, Cas, on eBay that appears to have bought out Chrysler's whole supply of them and sales them new one at a time. They were made for earlier PT's but I believe Cas will include a wiring adapter if you let him know you have a 2nd Gen PT. They work very well with the stock stereo system. I've installed two of them and have a third one right now that I will likely install in my 2007 PT Convertible.

Here's a link. You may want to PT him about an adapter for your 2nd Gen PT.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PT-Cruiser-8...6Xf_Iu6_tYTuVA
podo2000 likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 19 Jul 2016 at 03:11 pm.
Old 19 Jul 2016, 03:24 pm
Banned

Welcome to the forum

The MOPAR subwoofer mentioned in the above post works great in the Gen2, which is what you have.

I would just say start following the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual. If you can't find out anything about the previous service history of it, you may want to try to make up some past services, for instance spark plugs should have been replaced at 30,000 miles, plugs and wires would be due at 60,000, so just have a tuneup done and enjoy your ride.

Please post some pics of it when you get a chance.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 19 Jul 2016 at 03:27 pm.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 01:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That's neat to know I have the latest PT Cruiser on the market. We were very happy with our purchase, especially considering the miles. As for the windows, it's important to note they have never been stuck, it was just on the one trip where they lever would not move them up or down. But as soon as we got parked and turned the key off/on they worked again and it never happened again. I guess I'll just have the guy do a tune up while he's fixing my broken seat lever and see if he can find any electrical issues while he's at it inside that might be related. Other than that, I guess it's a "wait 'till something breaks to fix it" kind of situation!

By the way, why did the PT's not make it past 2010? They seemed semi-popular during the early-mid 2,000s.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 07:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's a section from a MotorTrend article:

Quote:
Complacency, competition, and Cerberus
Although Chrysler enjoyed healthy sales for several years, the PT faced newer market competition, including the Nesbitt-designed Chevrolet HHR. And after a decade-long production cycle with virtually no changes to the original model, Chrysler finally pulled the plug on the PT Cruiser in January 2009. Production was speculated to end a year ago, following Chrysler’s purchase by Cerberus Capital Management in 2007, but production in Mexico continued until today (July 9, 2010), when the last PT Cruiser rolled off the line.

What’s next?
The Toluca plant will be retooled to produce variants of the Fiat 500, which we’ll see in the U.S. shortly thereafter, after over 1 million PT Cruisers were produced. As for the PT Cruiser name, last week you told us there’s still hope for the nameplate. We’re not sure what the future holds, but after spending time getting to know the PT, we grew to be fans.

And this from the New York Times - July 9, 2010:

Quote:
The bulky, retro-styled Chrysler PT Cruiser — its fans found it positively alluring, its detractors called it bulbous and cheaply made — becomes an automotive legend on Friday when the final PT comes off the line at Chrysler’s plant in Toluca, Mexico. So farewell, PT Cruiser, and hello, Fiat 500C, which will be assembled at Toluca later this year, the company said. Fiat took over Chrysler last year. The Cruiser, which had a sensational start and sold more than a million units since its debut a decade ago, was put on life support a year ago during Chrysler’s bankruptcy proceedings. But the automaker decided to maintain the line to fill its inventory pipelines and use up PT Cruiser parts.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 21 Jul 2016 at 07:24 pm.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 07:49 pm
Banned

It would be kind of neat to know where the first PT off the line, meant for mass production went, and where the last one off the line went.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 08:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Speaking of PT Cruiser trivia, here are the year by year U.S. sales during its lifetime...

Quote:
Chrysler PT Cruiser – U.S. Sales By Year

2011 1,328
2010 9,440
2009 17,941
2008 50,910
2007 99,585
2006 138,650
2005 133,740
2004 115,955
2003 107,759
2002 138,260
2001 144,717
2000 91,996

Total 1,050,281

Sources: Allpar & Automotive News
thecabinguy likes this.

Previously owned: 2003 PT Cruiser Limited (Patriot Blue Pearl Coat), 2004 Dream Cruiser Series 3
Old 25 Jul 2016, 09:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So I found out why the switch on the driver seat went bad. Some moron (not sure if it was the last dealer or one of the previous owners) sunk some screws into the side plastic panel that was loose and it had been cutting through the wires ever since (when ever the switch was used to slide the seat forward or back). So that ended up costing me $350, but I can't blame the Cruiser for that.

Also, it would be neat to know which part of the assembly line mine came off of. According to the above article, mine was apparently built in Mexico during the last six month period of it's life (being that it's a 2010). Is there a way to look up my vin or check my car somewhere to see what the actual manufacture date was down to the month/day?