Checking if anyone has an idea

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By soyomb
  • 2 Post By story97

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jul 2016, 12:46 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Checking if anyone has an idea

So i had a problem with my key being hard to turn... just that last little bit to get the starter to engage.

FYI this is a long story, read the last paragraph for the reader's digest version.

I took it to a car dealer i used before, he has a shop. but he was too busy to help. I took it to him because he rents cars. i figured well if they need it overnight i'll rent a car. He recommended a shop down the street because he had a backlog of work (and I believe him). So i go down the street.......

guy goes to look at it, comes back 10 minutes later. tells me it's the ignition switch which I agree with. He quoted me $150 for the part and $150 labor + tax. I thought 'ok well i have a good mechanic i'll see'. so he said he'd put it back together and i'd bring it in the next day.

10 minutes later he comes out to tell me he CANT get it back together. in a round about way he broke it. so i thought, well ok whatever, he offered me a ride home and to pick me up the next day. i thought 'ok'. So he grabs another customer's vehicle that's there for work and drives us home. this is the first red flag. well actually him breaking it was, but i know things happen and I am sympathetic. two hours later he calls and tells me it's NOT the ignition switch for some reason, and it will take replacing the steering column. This part I know to be plausible because i've read several places telling me this can happen depending on what's broke. However, keep in mind, this car worked when i took it to him. so HE broke whatever it is.

he tells me he found one at a junk yard (imagine the quality of it, and a used airbag?) but it will be the next day before he gets it. I try to be sympathetic more, but i'm getting mad. i call my mechanic, and didn't tell him my car was at the other shop. i said 'what would you charge me to replace the ignition switch in my car?'. he replies "$106.00 = + tax"

now, I had already looked and fouind out they're about $60 online. but anyway, since he broke my car this doesn't even matter now. This all started monday at 8am. it's now THURSDAY and he hasn't called. I call the original guy and tell him I have to rent a car, it's been 4 days.. So i go down to rent it.

while there i explain what happened and am trying not to blow up, afterall, it's not his fault. I rent a car and leave.

I get home and the mechanic calls back within 40 minutes asking if I'm mad. I was trying to bite my tongue. i NEED my car. Now he tells me I need a wireless control module. $126.00 and there's a nationwide shortage. NOBODY has one, and it must be new. due to the mopar stuff if anyone's tried to program it it can't be used.

Short version. does anyone have any idea on a place i could get this item? it's a Wireless Control Module part number 05026218a or replace the 'a' with a 'j'? it cannot be used. I searched on line and he's right nobody has them and it's going to be AUGUST SECOND before it will be restocked.

Last edited by story97; 22 Jul 2016 at 04:54 am.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 02:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Checking if anyone has an ide

Bottom line...HE broke it. I would speak to the manager of the dealership. You were ok paying $300+tax initially to have it fixed. Better yet, email the whole situation to the repair manager and cc the dealership manager. Now, it's up to him to make things right.
917K likes this.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 04:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Checking if anyone has an idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by story97 View Post
He recommended a shop down the street because he had a backlog of work (and I believe him).
I would go back to the guy who recommended this shop and ask him why he recommended this shop. Tell him what happened and see what he says.
Old 22 Jul 2016, 04:52 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Checking if anyone has an ide

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyomb View Post
Bottom line...HE broke it. I would speak to the manager of the dealership. You were ok paying $300+tax initially to have it fixed. Better yet, email the whole situation to the repair manager and cc the dealership manager. Now, it's up to him to make things right.
he's the owner of the shop. the guy that recommended him is the car dealer.

i did go back to him, he called the shop. suddenly the guy called me and is going to give me a loaner for the 2 weeks, and will stand on his original quote. I really can't ask more than that. but you have no idea how much stress and worry the last few days have been. It's not about me, I'm caring for my 74 year old mother and i have to be able to go shopping for her, handle things etc, plus i have a cat that's diabetic and epileptic so i have to get medicine and special food.

all said, as long as i get the loaner I'm going to say it's a closed deal if the final price is still $300.00 and I won't give him bad reviews on facebook, yelp or the BBB. The thing is, it bugs me it took the dealer calling him to make him start working and helping, but as long as I am not stranded for 2 weeks, i don't see a reason to go forward more.

Last edited by story97; 22 Jul 2016 at 04:55 am.
Old 22 Jul 2016, 06:27 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Checking if anyone has an idea

I'm sorry for the situation you're in I feel as though you've been placed in it though.

He damaged your car. He made it unusable, forcing you to leave it with him AND misquoted/misdirected you, intentionally or not. You have a right to, under whatever consumer law your country/state follows, that the business MUST repair it. Free. If that means replacing the ignition, meaning you don't need his business afterwards, that's too bad for him. But he used your kindness to dodge a legal responsibility.

You've been incredibly patient and kind but the truth is it's YOUR vehicle and you need to worry about your circumstances first and foremost. Business is business, and it's often dishonest. Things will suddenly 'break', the 'wrong thing' was fixed, the original quote was too cheap, the part is 'refurbished' (newspeak for, came from a wreck).

My advice is, look after yourself and if this sort of thing ever happens again, remember that you have the power. Is he qualified to test and install an airbag? I doubt it. I hope it works out, but I would not leave it with him. I'd get the car towed and run, and then do as the others suggested. Send emails, make complaints, get compensation.

Your key is probably just worn/bent or the lock cylinder in the ignition requires lubrication with graphite. Nothing that needed all this hassle over. He should have explained those possibilities first, before ripping the ignition out. A decent bloke would lubricate your lock and smith your key back into shape (if bent) and send you on your way too. And then he would've had a customer for life, because you'd think him kind and honest.

Last edited by 917K; 22 Jul 2016 at 06:40 am.