Advertisements
Another CEL problem

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2016, 07:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Another CEL problem

It's a 2007 with 73,000 miles.

Earlier this summer the CEL came on, did the key dance and came up with a misfire in one of the cylinders. Dumped in some Sea Mist, went to an auto story, borrowed their scanner and cleared the code. Ran fine for a few weeks and it happened again. By this time I bought my own scanner which showed the same code as before. Cleared the code and it's been running fine for several weeks.
This afternoon I get in the car and the cel starts blinking. Having read before that this is not a good thing I stopped before getting out of the drive way. Waited a while for my heart to stop racing and fired up again. The light no longer blinks but stays on. So I do the key dance only I can't get it to work. After about a half hour I give up and go inside to find my scanner. Finally locate it, hook it up and it tells me their are no codes. Try the key dance for 15 or 20 minutes and can't get it to work. Go inside, get on this site and check that I'm doing it right. Yep, three twists and it ought to be there. Nope, nada., nothing. Try the scanner, checking the directions to make sure I'm doing that right, still no codes. This time when I get to the erase function I hit it even though there are no codes, supposedly, to erase. Still the cel comes on and stays on.
Now I've been on the site for probably an hour and half going through posts to see what to do and have come up empty. Hence, this post.
For the life of me I can't figure out why I can't get the key dance to function. It has in the past. Nor, can I figure out why the cel stays on even though the scanner says there are no codes. It was in the 90's and humid today and at one point I took off the gas cap and put it back on. Yes, I know that was a long shot - it didn't pay off either. So, I give up. Anyone have any insight to this which might help?
Old 22 Jul 2016, 07:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Another CEL problem

Try disconnecting the batter for a half hour hook back up,with scan tool check the monitors to see if 5he need to be set. Then check for codes . People say disconnecting the battery doesn't clear codes or monitors but in my experience if I car comes in the shop for a NY state inspection the first question we ask them is if there is a cel on or has the battery died recently because if it died and they jumped it the monitors need to be set for it to pass inspection we use obd2 inpection. Also I used to have a flashing cel lite and code p0301 put in reservation gas in my pt. Ended up being a fuel injector. Good luck keep us posted on your problem. Let the bashing begin
Old 22 Jul 2016, 08:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

Also after you hook battery back up and check the monitors with your scan tool hooked up if you have live data stream function or engine data fiction,go on one of those scroll down to ignition part will show you individual cylinders and how there working and you can monitor and see which one is misfiring
Old 22 Jul 2016, 08:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking your spark plug wires. When was the last time they were replaced?

Have you recently changed where you get your gas. I have heard of many members getting bad gas at certain locations.

Has your spark plugs been changed just before the P03xx started? Sometimes the spark plugs are installed incorrectly and the spark plugs get cracked.

Have you checked for intake manifold leaks?

If all of these checks out good then we will post some more diagnosis troubleshooting ideas.

I would suggest keeping track of what PO3xx codes keeps coming back.

If your codes keep changing after resetting each time with the OBDII Scan Tool from P0301 thru P0304 I would suggest checking your fuel pressure.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 22 Jul 2016 at 08:46 pm.
Old 22 Jul 2016, 10:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's a thread where a very similar problem occurred:

intermittent check engine light..no code
Old 22 Jul 2016, 11:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiniquiet View Post
So I do the key dance only I can't get it to work. After about a half hour I give up and go inside to find my scanner. Finally locate it, hook it up and it tells me their are no codes. Try the key dance for 15 or 20 minutes and can't get it to work. Go inside, get on this site and check that I'm doing it right. Yep, three twists and it ought to be there. Nope, nada., nothing. Try the scanner, checking the directions to make sure I'm doing that right, still no codes. This time when I get to the erase function I hit it even though there are no codes, supposedly, to erase.
When I first got my OBDII Scan Tool I didn't know how to use it very well. Sometimes I get some codes on one of my PT Cruisers they are in two different subdirectory locations. I would suggest you double check to make sure you don't have codes in another subdirectory location on the scan tool.

The key dance is a bad idea. You might be missing out on some codes. I suggest using the OBDII Scan tool whenever possible.

Keep in mind that when the engine light is blinking it means there is a random cylinder misfire which means the on board computer sees a misfire but doesn't know the cause. This is why its important to know what codes were triggered previously and why I recommend a fuel pressure test if it still gets a random code.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 23 Jul 2016 at 11:42 am.
Old 23 Jul 2016, 07:13 am
Veteran Cruiser

Did you tighten the gas cap until it clicked? You have to do that. If you're getting the code for emissions, try cleaning the filler neck and o-ring on the gas cap too.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 23 Jul 2016, 07:45 am
Regular Cruiser

Went out this morning and disconnected the battery, waited a half hour, hooked it back up, fired up the machine and no cel light. Ran the scanner and no codes. I guess I'm good, for now anyway. Many thanks for all the input. It's been most reassuring.
Old 23 Jul 2016, 10:58 am
Regular Cruiser

Well, that didn't last long. After clearing the cel by disconnecting the battery I thought I had it licked. Ate breakfast and went out to start running errands. Started backing out of the drive way and the cel started blinking. Pulled back, shut it down, waited a bit and fired it back up. Cel light on. What the heck? Ran my errands which weren't very far and came back home pretty much holding my breath the whole time. Did the key dance got P0301 the dotted lines and then "done." Hooked up my scanner and got the same thing, 0301.Cleared the code with the scanner. Cel still on. Did the key dance and got same as before. Ran the scanner and got no codes. I give up (unless someone has something else I can try) and I guess it's off to the mechanic early next week. Aw,nuts!
Old 23 Jul 2016, 11:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

P0301 -Cylinder 1 misfire Detected

Possible Causes:

1. Fuel system problems exist
2. Erratic Camshaft or Crankshaft Sensor signals
3. Ignition system problems exist
4. Engine mechanical problems exist
5. PCM has failed

Good to see that you found the code.

I would suggest resetting the code with an OBDII Scan Tool. Do you have an scan tool or is it just an OBDII Scan Reader? If you have an OBDII Scan Reader it will not reset the codes. You need an OBDII Scan Tool to reset the codes.

I would suggest fixing what is causing the P0301 before being concerned about the engine light still being on.

When was the last time the spark plug wires were replaced?

Does the engine start idling rough when this happens?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 23 Jul 2016 at 11:24 am.