Becky wont start... Error codes inside :(

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jul 2016, 03:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Becky wont start... Error codes inside :(

Hey Guys,

Having some serious bummers right now, really hoping you guys can help me out. Becky had been running a little rough recently and I did a bit of research and found out that she needed a camshaft position sensor replacement. And the like enterprising fella I am I went ahead and did that work thanks to the guys over at ptcruizer.com. Though now that I have done some reading I feel as if I may have gone about that wrong. I went with the "touchy feely" solution as oppose to using a torque wrench. Now she's stuck on the side of the road and she is reading these codes...

P0122 Throttle Position Sensor/Switch A circuit Low Input
P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor
P0340 OBD - II Trouble Code
P0129 Barometric Pressure Out of Range Low

Now it seems to me that a lot of these are indicating that I may just need to do a wire replacement as when I looked at Becky the first time they didn't look so hot.

Do you guys think I should just take her to the shop for some TLC or give it another go myself? Becky only has 93,000 on her so I believe she has a lot of life left.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

StrandedCanadian

p.s. Becky is a 2005 2.4L
Old 24 Jul 2016, 03:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Becky wont start... Error codes inside :(

Have you tried resetting the engine trouble codes with an OBDII Scan Tool and see if the same codes come back?

What was the codes before replacing the camshaft sensor?

If you get the same codes unplug the TPS sensor and see if you get P0123. If you still get P0122 you have a short to ground and you need to check the wiring from the TPS to the PCM. Check the wire harness going from the engine to the PCM for any contacts with ground.

All of the codes refer to sensors that have the same 5 volt reference going to them. Check the splice S109 in the wiring harness. In the shop manual the S109 supplies 5 volts to all those sensors, it looks like your problem could be between the splice and the camshaft sensor.

If your wiring is okay I would suggest unplugging the other sensors one by one to see if one of them might be pulling the 5 volt reference down. Good luck.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 24 Jul 2016 at 03:47 pm.
Old 24 Jul 2016, 03:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Excellent question Steve... I believe it was 340 and 344 but I really can't be too certain I'll have to ask my friend who I did the work with to confirm. I will try resetting the codes though.
Old 24 Jul 2016, 03:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrandedCanadian View Post
Excellent question Steve... I believe it was 340 and 344 but I really can't be too certain I'll have to ask my friend who I did the work with to confirm. I will try resetting the codes though.
Anytime you replace a part and it does not fix the problem put the original one back in. Otherwise you might have more problems if it turns out the new part is faulty. If the new camshaft sensor is shorted out it might be pulling down the 5 volt reference. Where did you get the new camshaft sensor?
Teekypt, chuzz and rsrocket1 like this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 24 Jul 2016 at 03:54 pm.
Old 24 Jul 2016, 05:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Steve,

Also fantastic advice to keep that part. Unfortunately for me I'm not very smart and no longer have that piece. Took the code reader to it And tried clearing them and they showed up again. Tried clearing them and got a similar response. Unfortunately I didn't have time to check the wires and other sensors and will have to revisit it tomorrow.

It's just kind of strange, when I replaced the sensor about a month ago it didn't send back any codes and started to run very well. Wasn't showing any symptoms on the drive today. Feel a little blindsided.

The new camshaft sensor came from NAPA auto parts here in Canada.

Thanks again for your help Steve I'll update you when I get to check those parts hopefully tomorrow.
Old 24 Jul 2016, 06:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Check the harness behind the passenger front tire. Since all these codes showed up at once, there's a good chance that the harness dropped & is rubbing on the half-shaft. If this is the case, look for frayed or broken wires.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 24 Jul 2016, 07:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Have you tried resetting the engine trouble codes with an OBDII Scan Tool and see if the same codes come back?

What was the codes before replacing the camshaft sensor?

If you get the same codes unplug the TPS sensor and see if you get P0123. If you still get P0122 you have a short to ground and you need to check the wiring from the TPS to the PCM. Check the wire harness going from the engine to the PCM for any contacts with ground.

All of the codes refer to sensors that have the same 5 volt reference going to them. Check the splice S109 in the wiring harness. In the shop manual the S109 supplies 5 volts to all those sensors, it looks like your problem could be between the splice and the camshaft sensor.

If your wiring is okay I would suggest unplugging the other sensors one by one to see if one of them might be pulling the 5 volt reference down. Good luck.
I would suggest trying unplugging the TPS and see what codes come up P0122 or P0123 then work on the other suggestions.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 24 Jul 2016 at 07:34 pm.