Advertisements
GROUNDED WIRE KILLED ENGINE

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Aug 2016, 08:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default GROUNDED WIRE KILLED ENGINE

Please help me with the family car.
It started out looking pretty bad. Bought the car and it had a funny idle, to shorten this long story I had to add the cat convertor back to the vehicle which cleared several codes. Put it through a drive cycle, still with this funny surging idle, and P0403 code popped. Replaced EGR valve and circuit, no change. Searched Internet found a Web page that outlined testing the EGR circuit. Found there was voltage but no ground. Followed the ground (so I thought) to a noise suppressor mounted to the head at the support bracket holding the throttle assembly. I removed the suppressor to check continuity, got nothing figured it was bad and ground the wire directly to the head. The engine was running when I did this and immediately died with a small spark. I tried to restart the engine and got nothing when I turned the key. Lights came on but nothing happened. I checked all fuses, switched relays, bought a Haynes manual that tells me nothing and can't afford to pay $90 per hour for a diagnosis. I also tried switching the PCM. (Neighbor has same model different problem, did same thing, didn't fix his problem but it did run without flashing.) Mine still would not start. I have a digital multimeter and a test light. Does anyone have any direction that can help me?
Old 02 Aug 2016, 08:14 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: GROUNDED WIRE KILLED ENGINE

It might help to know what year and engine you have. BUT, have you checked the IOD fuse in the fuse box under the hood? Just do a search here and someone will have a picture of where it's located posted. If not that, then all I can suggest it hang on until one of the smart guys responds.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 02 Aug 2016, 08:48 am
Veteran Cruiser

We need the year of the PT in order to point you in the right direction.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 02 Aug 2016, 08:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

P0403 - EGR Solenoid Circuit:

Possible Causes:

1. EGR solenoid ground circuit is open
2. EGR solenoid control circuit is open or shorted to ground or to voltage
3. EGR solenoid power circuit is open
4. EGR solenoid is damaged or has failed
5. PCM has failed

What we need to do now is find a wiring diagram of the EGR circuit for your year PT Cruiser and find out which wire you shorted to ground.

After you post what year your PT Cruiser maybe one of the members can post the wiring diagram.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 02 Aug 2016 at 09:23 am.
Old 02 Aug 2016, 09:44 am
Banned

I realize you may not feel very good right now because you're having troubles with your PT, but it is your first post, so...

Welcome to the forum
Old 02 Aug 2016, 12:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the forum. Hate to hear about your problem. Someone here, sorry not me, will be able to head you in the correct direction.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 03 Aug 2016, 10:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

It's a 2002, sorry, thought I put that in there.
Old 03 Aug 2016, 10:35 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: GROUNDED WIRE KILLED ENGINE

Just an FYI, grounds do not go to suppressors, unless they happen to bolt onto the chassis at the same point, only power lines go to suppressors. Nor do suppressors have "continuity" as they are constructed with a capacitor and resistor in series. Any that do have continuity are either not a suppressor or are faulty. They are designed to pass a.c. and block d.c. thereby removing any a.c. component from riding on top of the supply line that would cause electrical interference. To test a suppressor properly, you need a variable frequency a.c source and a means of measuring the output like an oscilloscope etc.

In order to help you, we need to know exactly which wire you grounded, even better would be some photos with an arrow pointing to exactly which wire, where it connects to and the colour of it at both ends

I suspect you have popped a fuse, but it's also possible that you have popped a weak link in the PCM, but these suggestions are just a guess. Until we have more info to go on, all we can do is guess...
Old 04 Aug 2016, 02:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

The wire.... I will have to describe it to you and the location. On this 2002 model looking at the engine the right side of the head, just below the lip of the valve cover there is a bolt securing a bracket that supports the throttle assembly. You should be able to look at the right/backside of the head and see the suppressor with a green wire/orange stripe (looks more like red, book says orange) it runs into the same harness the EGR connector is attached to. When I started to uncover the harness I spotted green/orange stripe wire leading to the suppressor and assumed it was the same wire. The engine was idling a quick "rum-rum-rum-rum", I grounded the wire and the engine died. Turning the key does nothing. Leave the key on and jump the starter, engine cranks but will not start. Sorry no pics, I'm working a small cell phone and slow Internet speeds.
Old 04 Aug 2016, 09:30 am
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 12:20 pm.